• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
(Non-Spoiler Thoughts) So, I saw Wakanda Forever last night. Let me precursor this review by saying my preconceived notions going into this movie were that I thought Marvel Studios made a big mistake by not recasting T'Challa, but I understood why they did it, and hoped they just gave me a decent story in his stead. I was also a bit concerned by seeing the really long run-time. With that said, I'm clearly going to be in the minority based on high both audience and critics Rotten Tomatoes scores, but this movie was all my fears for this movie come to life unfortunately. For me, the movie was easily about 30 minutes too long, extremely boring at times, had some poor dialogue and storytelling, presented an underwhelming score, and more so than anything, greatly showed the gaping hole T'Challa left with these movies. Chadwick Boseman embodied the Black Panther just as good as anybody in the MCU did. He has that "it" factor, that movie star factor, that "lead" factor, and this movie just didn't have any of that. I love Shuri and she did her best, but she still felt like a side character pretending to be the lead throughout the entire movie. As for Namor, I generally liked him, but they gave him a lot of weird dialogue in my mind. His action set pieces were great though. Anybody fearing them incorporating in the wings on his feet from the comics shouldn't be scared at all. They make his character so much better. Again, these are only my thoughts and if you loved the movie, I'm glad you loved the movie. I wanted to really like it, but I walked away super underwhelmed and disappointed. On a more side-note, I've been living through a 3-D re-emergence within my superhero movie watching, which has generally been really great, however this movie was TERRIBLE in 3D for some reason, and it may have played some part in me not liking the movie. It was really disorientating during certain action set pieces and this movie clearly was not made to be a 3D movie.

Feel free to critique my thoughts. I always hate feeling like the guy who just peed in everyone's Cheerios. I like being Mr. Positive, but I also try to be very real with my thoughts. Also, when it comes to the mid-credits scene everyone seems to really like on here, that is one this I agree is very good.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
(Non-Spoiler Thoughts) So, I saw Wakanda Forever last night. Let me precursor this review by saying my preconceived notions going into this movie were that I thought Marvel Studios made a big mistake by not recasting T'Challa, but I understood why they did it, and hoped they just gave me a decent story in his stead. I was also a bit concerned by seeing the really long run-time. With that said, I'm clearly going to be in the minority based on high both audience and critics Rotten Tomatoes scores, but this movie was all my fears for this movie come to life unfortunately. For me, the movie was easily about 30 minutes too long, extremely boring at times, had some poor dialogue and storytelling, presented an underwhelming score, and more so than anything, greatly showed the gaping hole T'Challa left with these movies. Chadwick Boseman embodied the Black Panther just as good as anybody in the MCU did. He has that "it" factor, that movie star factor, that "lead" factor, and this movie just didn't have any of that. I love Shuri and she did her best, but she still felt like a side character pretending to be the lead throughout the entire movie. As for Namor, I generally liked him, but they gave him a lot of weird dialogue in my mind. His action set pieces were great though. Anybody fearing them incorporating in the wings on his feet from the comics shouldn't be scared at all. They make his character so much better. Again, these are only my thoughts and if you loved the movie, I'm glad you loved the movie. I wanted to really like it, but I walked away super underwhelmed and disappointed. On a more side-note, I've been living through a 3-D re-emergence within my superhero movie watching, which has generally been really great, however this movie was TERRIBLE in 3D for some reason, and it may have played some part in me not liking the movie. It was really disorientating during certain action set pieces and this movie clearly was not made to be a 3D movie.

Feel free to critique my thoughts. I always hate feeling like the guy who just peed in everyone's Cheerios. I like being Mr. Positive, but I also try to be very real with my thoughts. Also, when it comes to the mid-credits scene everyone seems to really like on here, that is one this I agree is very good.

Have tickets for tonight but just tore them up. Will let the kids know when they get home from school that they will need to clean their rooms instead.

Kidding. I appreciate your honesty when you review movies. Im going to see it tonight and am pretty excited.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I really hope you do like it. Clearly others are.

I dug it. I thought the story was good and they did a good job with regards to boseman and that situation. Felt they did a good job paying respect to him at the start and the finish. Really liked the mid credit scene. I didn’t feel it was too long but if I had to gripe about anything it’d likely be the special affects. I feel like it wasn’t nearly as good as it could’ve been (especially some of the underwater scenes).

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

I loved the movie. 3D may indeed be the problem.

There were some moments I thought were rough, but they were brief And a couple of characters were…underwhelming to me. But then, for example, it’s not Riri’s movie.

I thought the movie did a great job of storytelling.

Reactions: Triggermv

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Wakanda Forever was good not great. I think it was about as good as it could have been without Boseman. I believe they made a lot of really good choices with this movie.
  • It was a bit too long (boring in parts).
  • I really liked the changes to Namor's origin, it made him feel less like marvel's aquaman.
  • I have some issues with dialogue, unimportant characters, and lack of awareness of the greater MCU.
What role did the US govenment, Valentina, and Everett Ross actually play? All of their scenes could have been cut and the movie would have been fine. The US never actually got involved beyond the car chase that wasn't necessary to the story. Also, Namor says Wakanda has no allies.... DUDE, they know the Winter Soldier, Hulk, and multiple other heroes that would have come to help in a heartbeat. Namor wouldn't have stood a chance against Wakanda's allies if they make that call. Instead, our interconnected story was introducing Iron Heart.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Fell asleep twice. It was such a slog for too many parts. Better half thought it was 'phenomenal' though!

It is one of those movies where the editor could have so easily cut 30 minutes of the movie, and not only would it have made it less of a slog, it would have made for a much better movie in my mind. There is just so many unneeded stuff going on. It is honestly going to be my poster child moving forward of a needlessly long movie.

Reactions: dahliaclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Quoting you, but I'm open to all that want to comment. What movies benefit from 3D in your opinion? I have only seen maybe 5 or 6 movies in 3D and I've had more negative opinions than positive ones. Some action scenes are so busy that my eyes end up hurting. I haven't shelled out the extra cash for 3D in several years.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
It is one of those movies where the editor could have so easily cut 30 minutes of the movie, and not only would it have made it less of a slog, it would have made for a much better movie in my mind. There is just so many unneeded stuff going on. It is honestly going to be my poster child moving forward of a needlessly long movie.
Don't get me wrong...there are some awesome parts. I love the strong female characters. The diversity is amazing. The acting overall is great. But just when things were picking up it would be a 10 minute scene of more reflection or something and it happened way too often.

Opening credits where they roll the Marvel logo out was AMAZING. Rhianna's song at the end is incredible.

If Black Panther is a 10/10 (which it is in my opinion and by far the best Marvel movie)...this is like a 6 or 7. Still better than most of the Marvel movies to me...

Just too long!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Wakanda Forever was good not great. I think it was about as good as it could have been without Boseman. I believe they made a lot of really good choices with this movie.
  • It was a bit too long (boring in parts).
  • I really liked the changes to Namor's origin, it made him feel less like marvel's aquaman.
  • I have some issues with dialogue, unimportant characters, and lack of awareness of the greater MCU.
What role did the US govenment, Valentina, and Everett Ross actually play? All of their scenes could have been cut and the movie would have been fine. The US never actually got involved beyond the car chase that wasn't necessary to the story. Also, Namor says Wakanda has no allies.... DUDE, they know the Winter Soldier, Hulk, and multiple other heroes that would have come to help in a heartbeat. Namor wouldn't have stood a chance against Wakanda's allies if they make that call. Instead, our interconnected story was introducing Iron Heart.

The US is basically that third nation which stirred up the conflict, but without really looking to stir up conflict between the two nations. Kinda the rumored role for Doom, but in more of a materially premeditated way but probably without knowing about Namor's kingdom. Probably. It primarily seems like they're using that part to develop the Countess as a player that's involved to some degree in a billion things.

I wonder how much Namor knows about the Avengers and all the superhumans running around. No reason for him not to know, but how deep is his kingdom's isolation?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Quoting you, but I'm open to all that want to comment. What movies benefit from 3D in your opinion? I have only seen maybe 5 or 6 movies in 3D and I've had more negative opinions than positive ones. Some action scenes are so busy that my eyes end up hurting. I haven't shelled out the extra cash for 3D in several years.

Truthfully, it has been a relatively recent thing. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was the first I believe in my recent renaissance. That movie was spectacular in 3D, and I thought I'd give it a shot, as I saw the first Doctor Strange in 3D, and much preferred that one that way. I then followed it up with Thor: Love and Thunder in 3D, which I also thought enhanced that movie. I'll always remember the Infinity scene at the end of that movie and how much cooler Infinity looked in 3D than 2D. Another one I saw in 3D was Jurassic World Dominion, which I thought was pretty cool in 3D as well. I would have liked to see Black Adam in 3D, but it wasn't offered in 3D. Then, there was Black Panther 2, which is the first one I did NOT like in 3D. However, seeing Black Panther 2 in 3D did allow me to see the Avatar 2 trailer in 3D, which was way cool. I can't wait to see that one with the glasses on.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Reactions: Carlisle Clone

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Fell asleep twice. It was such a slog for too many parts. Better half thought it was 'phenomenal' though!
This where I was at. Loved the movie, however it was 20 minutes too long. Bloat. Visuals were good and I really liked the cultural stuff. Still not a fan of Namor being South American but didn’t hate it. The Atlantians are just a better geographical fit to Wakanda. I enjoyed the film and will probably take my kids later this weekend.

Reactions: dahliaclone

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Don't get me wrong...there are some awesome parts. I love the strong female characters. The diversity is amazing. The acting overall is great. But just when things were picking up it would be a 10 minute scene of more reflection or something and it happened way too often.

Opening credits where they roll the Marvel logo out was AMAZING. Rhianna's song at the end is incredible.

If Black Panther is a 10/10 (which it is in my opinion and by far the best Marvel movie)...this is like a 6 or 7. Still better than most of the Marvel movies to me...

Just too long!
Very interested to see you have the first Black Panther as a 10/10 and the best Marvel movie.

That may be the first I’ve ever seen someone rank it #1.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Just got back and I enjoyed it for the most part. It was entirely too long and had a lot they could have cut and made it a more tidy movie.

Not having Boseman really did show, as that guy just popped on screen. Miss him dearly, as he was such a joy to watch.

Overall Marvel is just in a rut for me right now. The fatigue is a thing for me and the Mrs. There has been nothing truly captivating since Endgame for the most part. Aside from Spider-Man No Way Home, which had several really great moments, these Phase 4 movies just haven’t had near the pop or charisma of several of the first three phases.

Antman: Quantumania is what I am holding out hope for to get this thing on the tracks and moving again, as we should finally really get into Kang and where we are going.

Side note I truly do believe the Disney+ shows have actually hurt the MCU as a whole. Sure they have had a couple of good shows and good moments, but I think the fans were really excited when Disney+ launched and we were getting a bunch of series between feature films because many thought we could really get some connective tissue for post Phase 3 to quickly get into our next big adventure.

Unfortunately it’s been the opposite where it feels like they are just kicking out content to keep people paying for the subscription and they’ve had us hooked for so long we keep still coming back because we don’t want to actually miss something big when they do do it. But it’s felt lackluster and discombobulated for much of Phase 4.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82