Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Very interested to see you have the first Black Panther as a 10/10 and the best Marvel movie.

That may be the first I’ve ever seen someone rank it #1.

Its not my #1 but it’s pretty high for me.

Reactions: dahliaclone

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
This movie is a victim of its own hype and, IMO, one of the best MCU teaser trailers ever.

That said it wasn’t terrible. I feel like it was a disappointment but not a waste of time. I feel like Shuri’s arc had a lot of potential and by the end of the movie I could see where Coogler was going with it, but it was kinda weirdly set up. I feel like there were also some other missed opportunities to raise the stakes between the Talocans and Wakandans.

Some interesting lore implications regarding Namor’s MCU origin…
also interesting that Wakanda is not the only source in the world for Vibranium? And also are they implying that the meteor that caused the Chicxulub Crater may have been the source of the Vibranium on Earth?? Maybe that’s how Howard Stark ended up getting enough Vibranium for Cap’s shield in the first place. They were able to find another Vibranium source that wasn’t near Talocan or Wakanda.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Just got back and I enjoyed it for the most part. It was entirely too long and had a lot they could have cut and made it a more tidy movie.

Not having Boseman really did show, as that guy just popped on screen. Miss him dearly, as he was such a joy to watch.

Overall Marvel is just in a rut for me right now. The fatigue is a thing for me and the Mrs. There has been nothing truly captivating since Endgame for the most part. Aside from Spider-Man No Way Home, which had several really great moments, these Phase 4 movies just haven’t had near the pop or charisma of several of the first three phases.

Antman: Quantumania is what I am holding out hope for to get this thing on the tracks and moving again, as we should finally really get into Kang and where we are going.

Side note I truly do believe the Disney+ shows have actually hurt the MCU as a whole. Sure they have had a couple of good shows and good moments, but I think the fans were really excited when Disney+ launched and we were getting a bunch of series between feature films because many thought we could really get some connective tissue for post Phase 3 to quickly get into our next big adventure.

Unfortunately it’s been the opposite where it feels like they are just kicking out content to keep people paying for the subscription and they’ve had us hooked for so long we keep still coming back because we don’t want to actually miss something big when they do do it. But it’s felt lackluster and discombobulated for much of Phase 4.

I didn’t watch She Hulk. I didn’t watch Hawkeye until way after it aired. I’m simply not interested in MCU tv shows and it’s really negatively impacted my desire to see the movies. Last one I saw in the theater was no way home.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Very interested to see you have the first Black Panther as a 10/10 and the best Marvel movie.

That may be the first I’ve ever seen someone rank it #1.
Screen Shot 2022-11-12 at 12.09.33 AM.png

really? i would think if you Google'd what the best Marvel movie is, the leading movie of any website you check is Black Panther. And of all my MCU friends/partner/family it's hands down their favorite too. But I'm also one that loved Eternals so...lol

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
View attachment 105315

really? i would think if you Google'd what the best Marvel movie is, the leading movie of any website you check is Black Panther. And of all my MCU friends/partner/family it's hands down their favorite too. But I'm also one that loved Eternals so...lol
Oh by reviews that doesn’t surprise me. I mean from just MCU fans. It’s typically in the top-5 to top-7 for everyone I know.

I really liked the first Black Panther a lot, but there were many glaring issues and was still mostly a rinse and repeat origin story.

And I am talking strictly about it as a movie. I fully understand the cultural impact and all of that, which is a massive piece. But I judge movies as just movies, and for me it’s around 5 or 6 on the list.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is still the best actual movie IMO from start to finish.

I guess my main thing I was shocked with is you said it was the best MCU movie and it really isn’t close. That statement is pretty strong and just untrue no matter what anyone’s ranking is IMO. I don’t think they’ve made any movie that is just absolutely the best one by nearly everyone’s standard without any debate. And that goes for my top one of Winter Soldier. It’s my favorite, but it’s really close between that and even Black Panther at my number 5 or 6.

Black Panthers third act was a mess with pacing, the end fight with Killmonger and T’Challa being very bland and of course some of the worst CGI Marvel has done.

Again just my opinion, but just sharing why I had the reaction to your statement the way I did. Fully respect that it’s your number 1. Just wanted to know why exactly.

Last edited:
Reactions: dahliaclone and bos

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
View attachment 105315

Infinity War not in the top 8, that's crazy.

Maybe they think of it as one movie with Endgame.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I liked the movie. I have some quibbles with it but all in all a good film in my opinion. Angela Basset straight up carried this movie on her back for the first 2/3, she was acting her ass off. Watching her seamlessly switch from a grieving mother to a take no **** head of state back to a mother trying to help her daughter move on was a master class in acting.

I’ve always liked Letitia Wright and thought she did an admirable job. Would’ve liked to see more action out of her but I’m guessing that got pared way down with her injury during filming. I also thought Okoye was under utilized and didn’t really care for the development they added at the end.

Last fight scene seemed very small for a marvel movie although I’m guessing Wright’s injury had a lot to do with that.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Infinity War not in the top 8, that's crazy.

Maybe they think of it as one movie with Endgame.
Using Rotten Tomatoes is not a good gauge on how good a movie actually is. It’s simply if a critic voted it as fresh or not basically. Audience scores and stuff like that are WAY more telling.

As you said, Infinity War is top-5 no matter how you slice it. The tight story, pacing, villain and what they put together with all of those characters and storylines was insane.

TKlone3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2011
Council Bluffs
View attachment 105315

I’ll just say it, the first Black Panther was just ok. Don’t buy the hype. Not in my top ten and Infinity War in my opinion was better than Endgame. Still deciding if I will go see Wakanda Forever in theaters. Thanks everyone for sharing their reviews.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I’ll just say it, the first Black Panther was just ok. Don’t buy the hype. Not in my top ten and Infinity War in my opinion was better than Endgame. Still deciding if I will go see Wakanda Forever in theaters. Thanks everyone for sharing their reviews.
Aside from the length I may have liked Wakanda Forever more. I have to watch it again and then the first Black Panther again. But the length and not having Boseman was just too much to overcome.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

These are a bunch of rumors making the rounds lately from the Heavy Spoilers Youtube channel, which is a very good and respectably Youtube channel. They cover everything from the future of Spider-Man in the MCU and future Sony movies, as well as rumors of who all could appear in the upcoming big Avengers: Secret Wars crossover. Again, they are just rumors, but he also has some juicy nuggets of history in there as to the Sony-MCU relationship in the past.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Lots of rumors lately as to the future of animation in the MCU with all the recently announced layoffs coming within Disney. The latest of which is that a lot of the Spider-Man: Freshman Year production team is part of those layoffs, which leads to speculation as the whether we will even see Spider-Man: Freshman year or if this means that we will see Freshman Year, but not see the series removed. There is also lots of other rumors in this article as to what other characters we might see in the upcoming series.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Hard to have too much faith in these projects as long as Amy Pascal is involved. The only worse person than her to have involved is Avi Arad. Regardless], it will be interesting to see if these shows tie into the movies Sony is outputting at all.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Loved the GotG Christmas special. Nice nod to previous movies, nice reveal for a couple of characters at the end, and the Christmas song my the Old 97’s at the beginning in Nowhere was hilarious. Lost my **** at Mrs Claus on the pole part.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I'd finally be cool with working Miles into the picture now if that is the route they do go. I've just never got the concept of replacing Peter with Miles. Why do we need to replace anyone? Why can't we just have both simultaneously? Same thing went with the previous plans for replacing Superman with Supergirl for the last regime at WB. Seriously, why can't both coexist? At least the current WB regime seems to have shifted course on that one.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Wakanda Forever was good not great. I think it was about as good as it could have been without Boseman. I believe they made a lot of really good choices with this movie.
  • It was a bit too long (boring in parts).
  • I really liked the changes to Namor's origin, it made him feel less like marvel's aquaman.
  • I have some issues with dialogue, unimportant characters, and lack of awareness of the greater MCU.
What role did the US govenment, Valentina, and Everett Ross actually play? All of their scenes could have been cut and the movie would have been fine. The US never actually got involved beyond the car chase that wasn't necessary to the story. Also, Namor says Wakanda has no allies.... DUDE, they know the Winter Soldier, Hulk, and multiple other heroes that would have come to help in a heartbeat. Namor wouldn't have stood a chance against Wakanda's allies if they make that call. Instead, our interconnected story was introducing Iron Heart.
Kinda hard for Namor to be Marvel’s Aquaman, when Namor was there first.

Still spoilering?

A. I liked the cultural contribution of the Mayan artwork.

B. That said, the “Mayans”—I.e., Mexicans—are portrayed as total ***holes. Which I’m not good with.

Oh yeah, while I liked the movie, the post credit scene is far and away the best part.

Especially the sudden gravitas of the child with his very last line.