Marial Shayok Commits to ISU

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
Not sure what the excitement is about. Under 9 ppg and 33% from beyond the arc is underwhelming and not what final four teams are built on.

Hopefully our offense brings out something in his game but right now I am containing my excitement. Not to mention this helps zero for the uocoming season which I am most concerned about

Scout team. That's how he'll help next season. I am sure Royce and Babb pushed Ejim & Co during sit out season.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
No, It's not either one or the other. I was alluding to those that are just taking his minutes and thinking he'll be a better player with more.

In a discussion of extrapolating what his play will be with more minutes and possessions here, it's important to note that he had a high usage at UVa, one he won't have the benefit of here.

Your higher math is confusing me. Suck or won't suck - that's what I need to know.

For the record I say won't suck because I have full faith in CSP and basically no faith in many posters on this board.

• Agree
Reactions: Cynonymous

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
I am hoping for a mentorship between Shayok (and hopefully Juiston) and Wigginton/Lard/Lewis. A relationship akin to that between Morris and Kane. The senior players guiding and maturing the freshman to global elite status through work ethic and practice.

A team composed of Shayok, Jackson, Lard, Lewis, Wigginton, Young (and fingers cross Juiston, Brown, Morrow) we will be a deep team with great mismatches that would be sure to tilt their competition.

The defensive skill set Shayok practiced and played with for 3 years ill be valuable. Playing at a faster place, I hope he can maintain similar intensity on both ends of the court.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
No, It's not either one or the other. I was alluding to those that are just taking his minutes and thinking he'll be a better player with more.

In a discussion of extrapolating what his play will be with more minutes and possessions here, it's important to note that he had a high usage at UVa, one he won't have the benefit of here.

yes it is. Someone said his best games were the games he played the most minutes. They didn't say the games where he had the highest usage.
And people also said with an offense that plays at a higher tempo he would likely be scoring more. Again that doesn't mean usage is increasing and that doesn't mean that they were saying he would be better because he scored more than he did at Virginia.
Also think it is too early to say he won't have a relatively high usage at ISU. He could turn out to be a high usage guy at ISU. It could be that ISU's offensive system fits his skills better than UVA's offense.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Your higher math is confusing me. Suck or won't suck - that's what I need to know.

For the record I say won't suck because I have full faith in CSP and basically no faith in many posters on this board.
Won't suck, something north of C. Babb.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Won't suck, something north of C. Babb.
I would be ecstatic if he was better than Babb considering he is my favorite player of all-time at ISU. I doubt he will be better than Chris. Babb was an elite defender. He may be similar but time shall tell.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I don't know. Maybe I just didn't watch them closely enough but I was never really impressed with him. That could be the style they played but they were just flat out bad on offense. The only player who seemed to score consistently was Guy.

Hopefully the move opens up his offensive game more. I like more defense but you have to be able to score too.

he averaged about 9 per game with 20 minutes a game in an environment scoring about 60 points a game......thats all i need to know, our coach will probably give him an opportunity to be the lock down defender and score 12 points a game due to pace.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Very good pickup. Not sure how people are complaining about this? Should be a good player and we still have 3 scholarships left to help out with this year.

im pumped about this idk how anyone is unhappy. Shayok is intense with his defense, so with his experience and leadership included.....get on board with this as a great commit.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
upload_2017-4-20_20-26-48.png

upload_2017-4-20_20-27-6.png

Looking at that, our new friend Marial looks a lot like Deonte Burton.

-- similar # of shots per 100
-- similar 2PT %
-- Shayok is 6'5", Deonte was 6'4" or 6'5"
-- granted, Deonte is 50+ pounds heavier
-- Deonte is better from 3PT
-- Deonte is a better rebounder
-- Shayok is better at steals, turns it over less, and fouls less
-- Shayok gets to the line more, though, and makes his FTs... Deonte could be an adventure there...
-- similar overall PP100
-- similar "overall" ratings for RTG, PER, and +/-

Just saying -- adjust for UVA's slow games and ISU's fast game and, at our speed, this guy had productivity not incomparable to a guy who just made Third-Team All-Conference. Not saying they are the same or have similar styles, but looking at his gross numbers alone is unfair. Make this very reasonable adjustment, and you have Burton-level productivity.

Analytics. They work. Suck it, Charles Barkley.

I have no doubt Prohm and staff had these kinds of adjustments in mind, if only in the "feel" sense, when they went out and got him to serve as, basically, a graduate transfer for next year to replace Donovan Jackson, who is going to be a baller next season.

Last edited:

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
All I know is we had better finish in the top 10 nationally in 2018-19.

Is this for real?..... I mean, top 10? I'm pretty sure that Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, KU, Arizona, MichSt, Villanova, UCLA, NCar, Baylor, West Virginia, Cincy, Florida, Gonzaga,... just to name a few, aren't losing their basketball programs in 2018.

• Winner
Reactions: Doc