Lua brewing introduces THC/CBD beverage

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Pretty sure Barntown hired a new head brewer 3-4 years ago who changed all of their specialty releases to gluten-free, changed the flavor profile on a lot of fan favorites.

Thanks, I've been wondering this. They used to have quite a few IPAs, stouts, etc along with the sours. Now they are almost exclusively sours and seltzers with a couple bones thrown to the IPA/stout fans.

Best thing about Barn Town is the food. Unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: ClonesFTW

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Thanks, I've been wondering this. They used to have quite a few IPAs, stouts, etc along with the sours. Now they are almost exclusively sours and seltzers with a couple bones thrown to the IPA/stout fans.

Had a flight with their Cicada Coconut Stout as one of them. Could not finish it. Looked like a dark stain and was probably one of the heaviest stouts I've ever had. I think a spoon would stand straight up in it. Just bad.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Des Moines is lucky to have a few breweries that are JUST beer. The trend seems to be moving towards the hybrid brewery/eatery like Barntown.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm actually surprised at how lopsided this vote was with 61% of democrat vote siding with the bill as well.
The Democrats likely realized that this is a minor inconvenience to the Iowa hemp industry.

By fighting this, they open the door to the full on gutting that was being threatened by Republicans.

Now all the THC manufacturers have to do is use little cans. You just drink a few small cans to get the same effect. No big deal.

It was a deft compromise that secured meaningful THC access to Iowans.

• Creative
Reactions: BACyclone

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
The Democrats likely realized that this is a minor inconvenience to the Iowa hemp industry.

By fighting this, they open the door to the full on gutting that was being threatened by Republicans.

Now all the THC manufacturers have to do is use little cans. You just drink a few small cans to get the same effect. No big deal.

I actually can’t wait for the High Life Pony or Sprite Mini sized cans. I mean…I can crush a LOT of these:
1710341710865.jpeg
1710341927202.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: Al_4_State

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny

I foresee 6 packs of 5-hour energy sized containers, or whatever it takes to stay within the .03% federal limit.

• Winner
Reactions: Al_4_State

DavidR4isu

Nov 10, 2022

If anything it will probably help the industry. I can buy a bag of space gods for 15 bucks at some places. 15mg (7.5 thc and 7.5 cbd) per gummy with 10 gummies per bag. The individually wrapped gummies I’ve seen are 4 bucks a piece.

Not a lot you can do when the republicans have a huge majority in both houses and the governor. At least the compromise bill allows up to 4mg thc. The original bill was set at 2mg.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
If anything it will probably help the industry. I can buy a bag of space gods for 15 bucks at some places. 15mg (7.5 thc and 7.5 cbd) per gummy with 10 gummies per bag. The individually wrapped gummies I’ve seen are 4 bucks a piece.

Not a lot you can do when the republicans have a huge majority in both houses and the governor. At least the compromise bill allows up to 4mg thc. The original bill was set at 2mg.
Google TRE house. Space Gods are fine, but TRE has a huge selection of lab tested stuff that doesn't include the unknown cannabinoids if you prefer to avoid them.

It remains to be seen if this potential new bill will impact mail order sales. I doubt it will for the outfits currently shipping Delta-8 products into Iowa.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I’m curious if the Republicans who voted against were against it because it didn’t ban it outright.

Reactions: MJ29

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
They don’t need to do anything but repackage them.

That doesn’t happen overnight, but it’s not a matter of new equipment, processes, or recipes. Just smaller cans.

Obviously this legislation is idiotic. However, they’re avoiding what they initially feared.
It most certainly can be a matter of new equipment. Generally all canning lines for breweries have settings for 12 and 16oz full size cans and some have the ability to adjust to 12oz slim cans. All three of those options have the same diameter lids. Changing to the 8.4oz cans would be a different animal. If you have a brand new $50k+ canning line some have the ability to change on the fly, but if it is an older line you are stuck having to retro fit and that isn’t a cheap upfront cost.

• Informative
Reactions: MJ29 and Al_4_State

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Des Moines is lucky to have a few breweries that are JUST beer. The trend seems to be moving towards the hybrid brewery/eatery like Barntown.

For someone like me, I greatly prefer having an option like Barn Town where I can take my family for a meal outing and I can drink some (previously) great beer, because I am the only beer drinker. But I'm not going to BT now when their beer is basically 90% sours and I might fine ONE beer that I like.

Now I'll just go to Iowa Taproom, El Bait Shop, even Whatcha Smokin BBQ to get great food with a side of craft beer I know I will like.

Lua probably hits it perfectly, where they have amazing beer with lots of variety and a limited menu of great food if you want it.

Back to the point of the thread, I hope the bill dies in the Senate. I'll be contacting my Senator on this one. It's completely against the direction of the people, and I believe it's even against the direction of most voters, regardless of party.

Reactions: wxman1

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I guess I don’t remember Barn Town beer being great at one time. It’s always been decent but Lua, Confluence and Big Grove have always been better.