Looking At Texas

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
File this under “The Eyes of (Non) Texas Are On You”.

Just at a quick glance, Texas has a good offense. They’re second in the league in scoring at 40.4 ppg. For comparison’s sake, ISU is now 3rd, at 34.4 ppg.

Now, considering that ISU is about as far behind UT as UT is behind OU’s 45.5 ppg, that might seem like a fairly substantial difference.

However, when we’re talking total offense, ISU is actually even with UT, or slightly ahead, 437.6 ypg to 437.1 ypg.

We’re deep enough in the season for stats to even out. And those numbers are, well ... astonishingly even. If you break that down a bit more, Iowa State runs the ball better than Texas (less carries, but 5.6 ypc to 4.5 ypc), while ISU also passes less frequently—but about even in yards per attempt, 7.6 to 7.3.

*please note that I chose not to use the “conference games only” stats, trying to be more objective.

In a complementary stat, ISU leads the B12 with only nine sacks allowed in eight games, while UT has allowed 17 sacks in 7 games.

Across Herman’s tenure, the offensive line has been his Achilles heel, especially in recruiting. Even touted potential 1st round pick Samuel Cosmi hasn’t developed as hoped.

On the other hand, stud running back recruit Bijan Robinson has slowly worked his way into more playing time. He’s one of a handful of backs in the conference with Breece Hall level talent, so keep an eye out.

For the sake of this exercise, I’m calling the Ehlinger/Purdy QB matchup a wash.

Defensively, UT supporters are gloating about new Defensive Coordinator Chris Ash, and their defense’s improvement. Indeed, the Longhorns are one of only four teams in the conference rushing defense standings allowing 3.3 ypc or less (Cyclones lead at 3.0), so they’re salty up front.

The problem on defense for Texas is, they’re dead last in the conference in passing defense—yards allowed. Now, I’m not completely sure why that is, because in some ways their pass defense is statistically better than ISU’s—which is 5th in the conference in yardage allowed.

Of course, I’m expecting Ash to follow everyone else’s blueprint, and blitz at every opportunity. That said, I’m hoping a fairly green Cyclone OL has learned to pick it up a bit better at this stage of the season.

I do know that their designated disruptor is Joseph Ossai, who leads the conference in tackles for loss by a substantial margin. Essentially, he’s their JaQuan Bailey—though not as many sacks, three in seven games compared to JaQuan’s six and Will McDonald’s league leading six and a half in eight games.

In the sacks department, ISU is 3rd in the conference with 22 in 8 games, while UT is 7th with 14 in 7.

One last interesting stat is that ISU is first in the league in penalties committed, while Texas is...last. Just sayin’.

One factor that will be interesting to see play out will be the effects of Texas having their game with Kansas canceled last week. And that’s not solely a matter of “more time to prepare” vs “more rusty after 20 days”.

But that’s not all. An important factor for UT will be the guys they’re getting back from injury, plus the fact that they didn’t have to take the risk of incurring further injuries by playing a game against Kansas. They’ll be delighted to be getting those players back.

To counterbalance that, I think it’s only fair if we get, say, Joey Ramos or Tarique Milton back healthy, don’t you think? Only seems fair!

In summary, I’m just going to say. I know that the early line has Texas favored—but I think this matchup has us in a much better position to win that most people think.

Go Cyclones!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
When all is said and done, how many points you score and how many you give up is all that matters in getting wins. If you only score 7 but only give up 3 you are winning games. Doesn’t matter if you give up 100 or 800 yards I’m doing so.

Reactions: SouthernCy

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
To me, the biggest thing is whether Texas goes man to man on our receivers. That seems to be our kryptonite. Purdy can pick apart zone defenses, but our receivers have struggled getting separation against physical man to man defenses.

Texas is going to force Purdy to beat them throwing. Can our OL give him enough time so our WR's can get enough separation? History has shown prob not. Purdy also has shown his decision making is suspect and prone to TO's when he is under duress. Just need our OL to be serviceable with the blitz.

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
We play Texas in Austin. more than likely the Refs will help Texas. Matt Campbell has said we need to find that Killer instinct. We will need to keep our foot on the gas and plan on scoring every time we get the ball. 3 pt. conversions are a must !

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
We play Texas in Austin. more than likely the Refs will help Texas. Matt Campbell has said we need to find that Killer instinct. We will need to keep our foot on the gas and plan on scoring every time we get the ball. 3 pt. conversions are a must !
The margins are wider in Texas...like everything else.

Reactions: Aclone

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Pass Offense
Texas: #33 @ 270/game
ISU: #72 @ 230/game

Rushing Offense
Texas: #65 167/game
ISU: #37 @ 200/game

Total Offense
Texas: #40 437/game
ISU: #48 @ 423/game

Rushing Defense
Texas: #26 @ 118/game
ISU: #15 @ 108/game

Pass Defense
Texas: #110 @ 283/game
ISU: #84 @ 252/game

Total Defense
Texas: #57 @ 401/game
ISU: #38 @ 360/game

Fewest Penalties
Texas: #115 @ 570 total penalty yards
ISU: Tied #65 @ 290 total penalty yards

4th down conversion
Texas: Tied @ #21 @ 75%
ISU: Tied @ #57 @ 57%

Biggest surprise to me is Texas being a heavily penalized team.

Last edited:

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Pass Offense
Texas: #33 @ 270/game
ISU: #72 @ 230/game

Rushing Offense
Texas: #65 167/game
ISU: #37 @ 200/game

Rushing Defense
Texas: #26 @ 118/game
ISU: #15 @ 108/game

Pass Defense
Texas: #110 @ 283/game
ISU: #84 @ 252/game

Total Defense
Texas: #57 @ 401/game
ISU: #38 @ 360/game

Fewest Penalties
Texas: #115 @ 570 total penalty yards
ISU: Tied #65 @ 290 total penalty yards

4th down conversion
Texas: Tied @ #21 @ 75%
ISU: Tied @ #57 @ 57%

Biggest surprise to be is Texas being a heavily penalized team. Of course them ISU comes to town the refs will have something to say about that.
It surprises you that an entitled team like Texas has no discipline?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
File this under “The Eyes of (Non) Texas Are On You”.

Just at a quick glance, Texas has a good offense. They’re second in the league in scoring at 40.4 ppg. For comparison’s sake, ISU is now 3rd, at 34.4 ppg.

Now, considering that ISU is about as far behind UT as UT is behind OU’s 45.5 ppg, that might seem like a fairly substantial difference.

However, when we’re talking total offense, ISU is actually even with UT, or slightly ahead, 437.6 ypg to 437.1 ypg.

We’re deep enough in the season for stats to even out. And those numbers are, well ... astonishingly even. If you break that down a bit more, Iowa State runs the ball better than Texas (less carries, but 5.6 ypc to 4.5 ypc), while ISU also passes less frequently—but about even in yards per attempt, 7.6 to 7.3.

*please note that I chose not to use the “conference games only” stats, trying to be more objective.

In a complementary stat, ISU leads the B12 with only nine sacks allowed in eight games, while UT has allowed 17 sacks in 7 games.

Across Herman’s tenure, the offensive line has been his Achilles heel, especially in recruiting. Even touted potential 1st round pick Samuel Cosmi hasn’t developed as hoped.

On the other hand, stud running back recruit Bijan Robinson has slowly worked his way into more playing time. He’s one of a handful of backs in the conference with Breece Hall level talent, so keep an eye out.

For the sake of this exercise, I’m calling the Ehlinger/Purdy QB matchup a wash.

Defensively, UT supporters are gloating about new Defensive Coordinator Chris Ash, and their defense’s improvement. Indeed, the Longhorns are one of only four teams in the conference rushing defense standings allowing 3.3 ypc or less (Cyclones lead at 3.0), so they’re salty up front.

The problem on defense for Texas is, they’re dead last in the conference in passing defense—yards allowed. Now, I’m not completely sure why that is, because in some ways their pass defense is statistically better than ISU’s—which is 5th in the conference in yardage allowed.

Of course, I’m expecting Ash to follow everyone else’s blueprint, and blitz at every opportunity. That said, I’m hoping a fairly green Cyclone OL has learned to pick it up a bit better at this stage of the season.

I do know that their designated disruptor is Joseph Ossai, who leads the conference in tackles for loss by a substantial margin. Essentially, he’s their JaQuan Bailey—though not as many sacks, three in seven games compared to JaQuan’s six and Will McDonald’s league leading six and a half in eight games.

In the sacks department, ISU is 3rd in the conference with 22 in 8 games, while UT is 7th with 14 in 7.

One last interesting stat is that ISU is first in the league in penalties committed, while Texas is...last. Just sayin’.

One factor that will be interesting to see play out will be the effects of Texas having their game with Kansas canceled last week. And that’s not solely a matter of “more time to prepare” vs “more rusty after 20 days”.

But that’s not all. An important factor for UT will be the guys they’re getting back from injury, plus the fact that they didn’t have to take the risk of incurring further injuries by playing a game against Kansas. They’ll be delighted to be getting those players back.

To counterbalance that, I think it’s only fair if we get, say, Joey Ramos or Tarique Milton back healthy, don’t you think? Only seems fair!

In summary, I’m just going to say. I know that the early line has Texas favored—but I think this matchup has us in a much better position to win that most people think.

Go Cyclones!

Line currently is Pick.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
The per game stats on Texas are skewed because they've played 6 overtimes.
They've scored 28 points in OT, gave up 22 points in OT, gained 126 yards, gave up 86 yards (I didn't split run/pass).
They've scored 36.4 points/game in regulation. 419.1 yards/game in regulation.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
How talented are UT's CB's and safeties? I worry that they'll have the "horses" to do something similar to OSU on defense - blitz the hell out of Purdy with single man coverage in the secondary. I doubt UT's secondary has the discipline and fundamentals of OSU's, but they've gotta be loaded with 4 and 5* athletes who our receivers may have trouble separating from. Combine that with UT's ability to stop the run, and I'm nervous for our offense.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
How talented are UT's CB's and safeties? I worry that they'll have the "horses" to do something similar to OSU on defense - blitz the hell out of Purdy with single man coverage in the secondary. I doubt UT's secondary has the discipline and fundamentals of OSU's, but they've gotta be loaded with 4 and 5* athletes who our receivers may have trouble separating from. Combine that with UT's ability to stop the run, and I'm nervous for our offense.

Campbell and Co did a piss poor job of making adjustments to, and likely anticipating, that kind of defensive attack. They kept running plays the line couldn't block for. Receivers also weren't even close to being out of their breaks when Purdy needed to unload.

We need to have a better game plan for that kind of attack. Utilize some 2 TE sets for chip blocks and implement a few more designed rollouts. Quick slants, crosses, etc will also help and could be paramount in establishing a rhythm. If Texas doesn't copy OSU's game plan they aren't very smart. Oline (and WR speed) is the offensive Achilles heel(s). Attack it until we show we can adjust and be successful.

I really think it comes down to keeping our QB clean and being able to get off the field on 3rd (and long). Basically this team will win or die over what plays out along the line of scrimmage, the perpetual weakness (on both sides of the ball) for Iowa State football.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Campbell and Co did a piss poor job of making adjustments to, and likely anticipating, that kind of defensive attack. They kept running plays the line couldn't block for. Receivers also weren't even close to being out of their breaks when Purdy needed to unload.

We need to have a better game plan for that kind of attack. Utilize some 2 TE sets for chip blocks and implement a few more designed rollouts. Quick slants, crosses, etc will also help and could be paramount in establishing a rhythm. If Texas doesn't copy OSU's game plan they aren't very smart. Oline (and WR speed) is the offensive Achilles heel(s). Attack it until we show we can adjust and be successful.

I really think it comes down to keeping our QB clean and being able to get off the field on 3rd (and long). Basically this team will win or die over what plays out along the line of scrimmage, the perpetual weakness (on both sides of the ball) for Iowa State football.
That perpetual weakness you speak on on the D side died several years ago, it’s our strength now. The Oline is t what it used to be either.