Long term implications

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
I know it’s a rough morning for you fellas, but there are a couple ISU fans that I greatly enjoy interacting with on the old Hawkeyereport site.

One of them was musing about lost opportunities and it being a bad year to be struggling because college football is wide open and there’s a lot of games that are winnable on the schedule….

Obviously, this game was a blow but, while breaking down box scores and what is happening in college football, this morning. Ohio is 3-1! They lost @ San Diego St, who at 1st blush I thought was down this year (For those that don't know SDSU has had 11 straight winning seasons with a 4-4 Covid year mixed in) two 9 win seasons, two 10, two 11 & one 12.

After SDSU struggled to beat Idaho State 36-28 and then followed that up by the Utah state team we played beating Idaho state, 78–28 I made a decision they, SDSU & by proxy, Ohio, weren’t as good as they have been..

It’s dangerous and stupid, and quite frankly futile, trying to do the whole comparative score game, and comparing wins and calling your season done at game two or three! With that said…..

The point is this….SDSU beat Ohio out there, 20-13, and then went on to play highly competitive games versus ranked UCLA and Oregon State. They’re still a solid team and I’m beginning to think Ohio is actually pretty good.

They’ve got a big quarterback, who’s pretty good and has been there 600 years, they play fantastic defense, and it really was kind of a stupid game for Iowa State to even be in, though I realize that schedule was set up a long time ago!

Iowa has lost plenty of early season games in years gone by and looked piss poor doing it to “supposedly” inferior teams and still went on to solid seasons!

You have to hope the coaches keep the D motivated and find some semblance of something on Offense?

What’s the deal with Kohl, he played vs UNI, why not now?

Also, they held Ohio to 247 yds, that’s a winning number. O’Rourke will get an NFL drat look.

They have to win vs OKIE St next week..,

The optics on the Campbell thing didn’t look great for sure.

Still a lot of football left and although many of our fans and yours too, want to slide everyone into their season end slots now…

I haven’t seen even ONE dominant team yet.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin and cyputz

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Last I saw, it was both.

It’s impossible to know what’s happening since all the “Collectives” and NIL purchases aren’t disclosed. What would people say if they found out Noel was getting the most “Collective” money on the football team? Does the Collective have a GM that actually knows about football? About building a football team based on what amounts to a professional salary structure?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I fear you are correct.

If you're going to do a CyTown... do it on Welch in CampusTown and make that strip totally awesome. I know that land isn't owned by ISU, so it wouldn't help JP's money situation though. But this CyTown thing could be a gigantic failure if not done perfectly right.
Or CyTown could become a 2nd Welch Ave. Just as convenient location for a lot of students and accessible for Ames residents.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
CMC doesn't believe in using NIL money to "go get" players... he's said that. He believes in using it to reward the players that have proven themselves by their play at ISU. It's dumb... but not surprising.
Because we dont have the money to go get them. So we try to hold what we have.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I mean, I like those guys, but every mediocre team I watch has guys just as good. I don’t think they stand out.
Brahmer is really good....after that I'm not sure what is there.

Real issue is we haven't recruited or developed a really good offensive linemen in the entire Campbell era. That's what is killing us.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
implication-implying.gif

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
It’s impossible to know what’s happening since all the “Collectives” and NIL purchases aren’t disclosed. What would people say if they found out Noel was getting the most “Collective” money on the football team? Does the Collective have a GM that actually knows about football? About building a football team based on what amounts to a professional salary structure?
I would guess the Coaches indirectly aim the money. No way Blum decides on his own who to go after.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

SMG

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
I hate to say this but, who is going to give money to watch this offensive style of football?

Also give money to a kid to use it to gamble with and then never see the field?

Nil donations get worse not better going forward.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I hate to say this but, who is going to give money to watch this offensive style of football?

I think the good news is that the “NIL” system isn’t sustainable for that long imo.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Different strategy from basketball then, as offering something seems to help.
Yes, because in basketball, one player can make a huge impact. In football, outside of a QB, (such as one lineman or one linebacker)one player helps but doesn’t have as much impact.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would guess the Coaches indirectly aim the money. No way Blum decides on his own who to go after.
I remember hearing about the first year of NIL and one coach was complaint that a booster bought his player that they didn’t want. Guessing there is conversations with the recruiting coordinator as to who to fund.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Yes, because in basketball, one player can make a huge impact. In football, outside of a QB, (such as one lineman or one linebacker)one player helps but doesn’t have as much impact.
But the available money should scale higher as well.
Even Colorado State flipped their offensive line for this season.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
But the available money should scale higher as well.
Even Colorado State flipped their offensive line for this season.
I’m not sure exactly how they did it. Thought he may have taken some from his old school but guessing NIL did some. I would be happy if we could pick up a center and another at least.

Reactions: simply1

mark

Apr 14, 2006

Man - graduated as loyal son 1976 - and attended 100’s of games home and away. Have seen horrible football where the teams just gave up.

Folks this isn’t that! I’m pissed about the video with Matt being out of control- but that’s it!

This team has talent- and leadership. You guys are doing the surrender cobra after 3 games. Sheesh.

I think OUR Cyclones win the next 3 straight with some of them being convincing wins.

Then you boys will realize we do have the right man at the helm.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Our recruiting has already taken a noise dive. We're nearly 60th with a basically class. Campbell is very likely out after next season.
Yearcomposite transferoverall

CMC doesn’t use the transfer portal effectively. There is a great deal of potential for quick improvement if the transfer portal can be utilized well

• Winner
Reactions: clone2003

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
What’s the deal with Kohl, he played vs UNI, why not now?
Kohl might get some run soon because our coaching staff is currently impervious to common sense. IMO he would fare no better than Rocco.

ISU needs an offensive change in direction, full stop. If they do this, Rocco will have success, and so would Kohl.

Why not try Tanner Hughes, because supposedly he is a running QB? He will not have success either, until the offensive scheme and play-calling changes. It's really that simple.

Rocco should remain QB1, and the starting head coach should be subbed out.

Campbell could turn this around with a complete offensive change in strategy. Of course it would have to gradual at this point, but it needs to change. Campbell and the present coaches know the schemes. I would hope. Will they do it or not is the question.

He won't though, and that is the problem. Change the offensive strategy now and start practicing these changes. That's what it will take. It would take time to see the results, play by play, but improvement would be seen on gameday. This is the lack of preparation that Rocco is referring to, IMO.

Practicing the same old offensive sets will not yield the desired results on gameday.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Man - graduated as loyal son 1976 - and attended 100’s of games home and away. Have seen horrible football where the teams just gave up.

Folks this isn’t that! I’m pissed about the video with Matt being out of control- but that’s it!

This team has talent- and leadership. You guys are doing the surrender cobra after 3 games. Sheesh.

I think OUR Cyclones win the next 3 straight with some of them being convincing wins.

Then you boys will realize we do have the right man at the helm.
Only if they change the offensive direction and scheme. At this point, I still believe they are holding on to the belief that things will magically start working, like you.

They would need to change the offensive scheme and play calling, and begin practicing those changes. Gradual progress might then be seen week to week.

The light is not going to turn on suddenly for this offense and coaches, at this point, no matter what direction they choose.

Choosing to change now is what is needed. I don't have confidence that things will improve much at this point. I hope you are right, and I am wrong.