Let’s talk Jackrabbits

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Zeko Mayo is by far their leading scorer and has taken 154 more shots than their 2nd place guy, so I fully expect him to be wearing a Keshon Gilbert suit all night.
I was just thinking about how Keshon has become a lock down defender in his first year here after he shut down LJ Cryer for the third time this year. And that was the knock on him during the transfer period, that he wasn't a great defender. Oops.

RollClones14

Sep 6, 2018
Mims and Coach Henderson speaking very highly of T.J. and team.

“I was pretty excited. Even just being from Iowa and playing an Iowa school, I think that kind of even makes it even better. I’m really excited for this opportunity. I have a pretty special connection with T.J. He taught me a lot. I was only with him for a year, but he taught me a lot,” SDSU senior guard Matt Mims said.

“There’s just a lot of respect. It’s exciting to be playing close to home, it’s great for our fans. We have a couple of Nebraska guys, so to be able to get down there and play in front of their families is pretty special. But then obviously with coach Otzelberger, just the amount of respect that I have for him. The opportunities that he’s given me in this profession are just really endless,” SDSU head coach Eric Henderson said.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Mims and Coach Henderson speaking very highly of T.J. and team.

“I was pretty excited. Even just being from Iowa and playing an Iowa school, I think that kind of even makes it even better. I’m really excited for this opportunity. I have a pretty special connection with T.J. He taught me a lot. I was only with him for a year, but he taught me a lot,” SDSU senior guard Matt Mims said.

“There’s just a lot of respect. It’s exciting to be playing close to home, it’s great for our fans. We have a couple of Nebraska guys, so to be able to get down there and play in front of their families is pretty special. But then obviously with coach Otzelberger, just the amount of respect that I have for him. The opportunities that he’s given me in this profession are just really endless,” SDSU head coach Eric Henderson said.

Looks like their coach was a grad assistant under McDermott here. And the was an assistant under TJ at SDSU before replacing him. So definitely some familiarity there

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I watched them play this weekend. They move the ball very well on offense. I actually thought they could be a dangerous round one opponent. So shocking - Iowa State gets them.

As long as our defense plays normal - we should shut them down.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I think this game will be so out of hand that Kalderman makes another three pointer before the game is over. SDSU is in one of the worst conferences and hasn't beaten a single Q1 team.

Reactions: jmb

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I watched them play this weekend. They move the ball very well on offense. I actually thought they could be a dangerous round one opponent. So shocking - Iowa State gets them.

As long as our defense plays normal - we should shut them down.
We seem to be loading up the defense just a little bit less than we had earlier, and a little more selective in the hard traps. Just staying in front of our guys with just a little help/hedging and then springing the aggressive traps as a surprise. Gave up 57, 62 and 41 (avg 53.3) in the Big 12 tournament, so I'd say it worked.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We seem to be loading up the defense just a little bit less than we had earlier, and a little more selective in the hard traps. Just staying in front of our guys with just a little help/hedging and then springing the aggressive traps as a surprise. Gave up 57, 62 and 41 (avg 53.3) in the Big 12 tournament, so I'd say it worked.

Which I think is the right approach to this game. In most upsets the 3 ball is the great equalizer. So I'd probably play more straight up and trust the turnovers will come off ball pressure and wing denials. No need to double other than as an occasional curveball.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Could we lose? Sure, cause sports. But it would be our worst loss by a significant margin and their best win by a significant margin. No one should talk this up like it will be a challenging game. You never know what we will get from our offense, but we should absolutely smother these guys on defense. It would take some extraordinary circumstances to lose this game.

KenPom has SDSU's adjusted Defensive rating at 163. It seems like if we don't settle we should be able to get what we want offensively. Run good offense and we should be able to bury these guys.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
May also have been a tweak to catch other teams off guard from what they expected.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
KenPom has SDSU's adjusted Defensive rating at 163. It seems like if we don't settle we should be able to get what we want offensively. Run good offense and we should be able to bury these guys.
Agree. Just get the ball inside every time, take a lot of shots in the paint. And then get transition buckets off turnovers.

Thing to watch out for - don't make a three and then get enamored and take 15 more. Just get it into the paint.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
They've lost to some pretty bad teams this year. That's all I know about them. K-State blew them out.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
ya, i dont get this reaction by him. its the tourney and a small community. people know each other

It’s that attitude that I’m worried about. And that’s why I hate our matchups. Too many opportunities for the media to act like either results are good.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
ya, i dont get this reaction by him. its the tourney and a small community. people know each other
It's been 5 years since TJ coached there. I don't think there is a player on their roster that would have played for him. It's not like they're still holding onto some vendetta that would give them extra motivation still. It'd be like us playing Nebraska. Yeah, there would be some intrigue there, but it's not like we're going to be extra fired up to beat a Hoiberg team. That's way in the past.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
ISU will win in a blowout. Not worried about this one. Also, hope they face Drake that would be a fun matchup.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Looks like they’re a pretty good offensive team. Average 76.8 ppg, are 18th in effective FG%, and 27th in offensive efficiency. They shoot almost 37% from 3, but don’t take a high volume of them. They do average 10.8 TOs per game, which ranks 96th in the nation. So, I think we can turn them over.

They’re poor defensively, ranking 259th in defensive efficiency (slightly better than Iowa). They’re also really bad at rebounding, 101st in defensive rebounds per game and 329th in offensive rebounds per game. 125th in total rebounding %

I think a more-turnover prone Iowa is a good comp for them (just looking at the metrics).
Iowa is significantly better. We also played unbelievably well that game though. Probably a top 3-4 performance of the year.