NFL: Kansas City Chiefs Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Who are the 49ers going to start? Darnold may look like a whole new QB in that system.
You're right. They will likely go with Trey Lance to start the season. No guarantee how his ankle/foot will be though. And how long will he stay healthy?

I think the 9er's and their players want Brock back. It may take him a while to come to form though. Sure hope his elbow has a good result.

Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Chiefs with some good signings of Tranquil at LB and Edwards at safety
Both one-year deals where the base pay is cheap and most of the $$$ is performance based. We could stand to upgrade both units so these were great moves. They have 14million left in cap room and probably need 10 million to sign the draft picks. They could sign a few more FA's.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Chiefs have had a decent off season, filling in needs along the D line, D backfield and the Oline. Let's see how the draft goes, it would be nice to pick up another WR out of FA before the draft, but so far, we are looking good.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Chiefs have had a decent off season, filling in needs along the D line, D backfield and the Oline. Let's see how the draft goes, it would be nice to pick up another WR out of FA before the draft, but so far, we are looking good.
I like the where the D is heading into next year. As long as the young guys in the secondary correct the rookie mistakes(blown coverages) they made last year I think that unit has a chance to be pretty good too.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
It will be interesting to see if they find someone to trade Edwards—Helaire too.
Also interested to see if they can get a deal with Chris Jones done.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah to me the last big questions:

Do we sign another OT, DL, or WR or does the help just come in the draft?

Do we reach a long term deal with Chris Jones?

Who will our backup QB be?

We have a ton of picks. Will we make a big move and move up in the draft?

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Thinking few more trades will be likely as well.
Last year needed cheap talent all the way across the board.
I'm not sure the roster spots are there to do a repeat of last year.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It will be interesting to see if they find someone to trade Edwards—Helaire too.
Also interested to see if they can get a deal with Chris Jones done.
Jones is making statements like he wants to return to the Chiefs and finish his career in KC. I think the Chiefs like the young QB Buechele, he played a lot in the preseason games last year and looked decent. I look for him to be the #2 QB this year and they try add one more WR out of the FA class.

Edwards-Helaire will be traded during the draft, this fall will be his 4th year in the league, and the Chiefs will not pick up his 5th year option, so they will move him during the draft as opposed to letting him leave after the season.

Last edited:

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

My guesses:
Hardman comes back on a one year prove it deal. Too many injuries in a contract year. Rest of the major help will come from the draft. We're linked to Odell Beckham Jr but my guess is he goes to Buffalo.

Long term deal with Jones seems inevitable.

I think the QB2 will be Buechele.

I said this the other day, but there are rumors we will move up for a good LT prospect if one drops in the draft. Then we'd keep Taylor at RT, where he's elite in pass protection.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
With ten draft picks (four in last two rounds), it is hard to imagine the Chiefs are not going to be packaging some picks to move up in an earlier round, or as part of a trade deal.

Reactions: Halincandenza

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
My guesses:
Hardman comes back on a one year prove it deal. Too many injuries in a contract year. Rest of the major help will come from the draft. We're linked to Odell Beckham Jr but my guess is he goes to Buffalo.

Long term deal with Jones seems inevitable.

I think the QB2 will be Buechele.

I said this the other day, but there are rumors we will move up for a good LT prospect if one drops in the draft. Then we'd keep Taylor at RT, where he's elite in pass protection.
Yeah I would guess the same on Hardman. He clearly isn't getting the offers right now he wants so coming back on a one year prove it deal would be good for both parties.
OBJ is interesting but I worry about the age and injuries. You wonder how much money he wants as well.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Yeah I would guess the same on Hardman. He clearly isn't getting the offers right now he wants so coming back on a one year prove it deal would be good for both parties.
OBJ is interesting but I worry about the age and injuries. You wonder how much money he wants as well.

Thielen got $8.3 mm, Juju got $8.5 mm, and Lazard and Myers got $11.0 mm. I think the Chiefs and OBJ have a very good understanding of where the market is. Guessing OBJ is thinking north of $11.0 mm.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yeah at this point I don't see any signings of significance coming from free agency at this point, the draft or trades is where the rest of the pieces will likely come from. The Chiefs have drafted well lately so hopefully that trend continues. I would like to see them bring in a decent veteran QB to compete for the QB2 job as I would like to see them have an experienced option than Buechele on the roster if the unthinkable happen and Mahomes gets a bad injury. At least with Henne you knew what you had and he had multiple years of starting experience.

WR is a bit of concern but unless some vet wants to take a 1 year deal like JuJu did last year. May have to let the draft and market play out and someone like OBJ still looking for a home will settle on a deal for less than what they were looking for to play for a chance for a ring. I do think that they get Jones taken care of, both sides seem to want to keep him with the Chiefs long term.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
With ten draft picks (four in last two rounds), it is hard to imagine the Chiefs are not going to be packaging some picks to move up in an earlier round, or as part of a trade deal.
I'd trade down. A lot of scouts say there are maybe 20 sure fire first round picks in this draft. If there isn't that much of a drop from pick 25 to pick 125 why move up? I feel like you're just going to overpay on even a rookie contract.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I'd trade down. A lot of scouts say there are maybe 20 sure fire first round picks in this draft. If there isn't that much of a drop from pick 25 to pick 125 why move up? I feel like you're just going to overpay on even a rookie contract.
Then why would anyone else want to move up? Bottom third of the first round is essentially going to be second rounders with a 5th year option. Some teams may value that 5th year option depending on the position being taken.

• Optimistic
Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Then why would anyone else want to move up? Bottom third of the first round is essentially going to be second rounders with a 5th year option. Some teams may value that 5th year option depending on the position being taken.
Because a lot of GM's and franchises are desperate and awful.