NFL: Kansas City Chiefs Thread

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Did you watch a lot of the Chiefs games? Because I watched everyone, included a couple of preseason games and Brown was the worst player on the line this past season. The stats you keep posting are saying I am missing something, but you can only take stats so far, sometimes you have to trust what your eyes are telling you.
Brown wanted to be one of the highest paid left tackle in the league, the Chief's offered him a very good deal last year and he turned that down. The feeling I get is that he had burned enough bridges in KC and they were looking to move on from him.

Taylor is younger, the Chief's think he has more upside to him, and remember that Brown was a right tackle when he came to KC until he made the switch over to the left side.

Earlier you said that the Bengals line improved a lot sack wise over the year before, they moved from 51 sacks to 41 sacks, Mahomes was sacked 26 times for a frame of reference. So even with a quicker release, which is very debatable, I looked at stats that showed Mahomes towards the top for that stat and Burrows towards the middle, he was sacked 15 less times over the season.

He clearly didn’t watch any chiefs games if he thinks Brown is elite and doesn’t need help. If Mahomes was a pocket QB with no mobility he would have been killed with Brown at LT one on one.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Exactly, Creed Humphrey in the 2nd round and Trey Smith in the 6th round in 2021 are both solid starters at C and RG. They drafted Niang in the 3rd round in 2020 and he's been a solid depth piece and possibly starter at RT if they put Tayler at LT.

Kansas City Chiefs All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Just look at all the hits they had in the past 3-4 years of drafts. 2022 every pick except for Kinnard appeared in 11-17 games, many of them wound up in the starting lineup. 4 of their 6 2021 picks have played 33 or 34 games, 2020 5 of the 6 have played significantly too. They are finding quality depth and even starters in the draft in rounds 4-7 even. They are basically doing what the Patriots did during Brady's prime which is drafting smart then trading or moving on from guys when they get too expensive and investing in retaining the ones they can't replace as easy.
Niang in an enigma. Opted out of the Covid year, but was recovering from hip surgery anyway I believe. Only played about half the season in 2021 because of multiple different injuries before suffering a knee injury that cost him most of 2022. He logged a grand total of 44 snaps in 2022 , with only 9 of those being on offense. I know a lot of the coaches are pulling for him, but he really has to show something this year.

Reactions: Halincandenza

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Niang in an enigma. Opted out of the Covid year, but was recovering from hip surgery anyway I believe. Only played about half the season in 2021 because of multiple different injuries before suffering a knee injury that cost him most of 2022. He logged a grand total of 44 snaps in 2022 , with only 9 of those being on offense. I know a lot of the coaches are pulling for him, but he really has to show something this year.
I didn’t think he was hurt the Covid year, he just opted out. It’s crazy he had no injury issues at all in college. Hopefully this is the year he gets back on track.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I read something where Reid said he is the best shape he has been in since he has been in KC. Dropped a lot of bad weight.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I didn’t think he was hurt the Covid year, he just opted out. It’s crazy he had no injury issues at all in college. Hopefully this is the year he gets back on track.
His bio says he had a torn hip labrum his senior year at TCU. He had surgery for that and was probably going to be on the PUP list anyway during his rookie year.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
His bio says he had a torn hip labrum his senior year at TCU. He had surgery for that and was probably going to be on the PUP list anyway during his rookie year.
I see that now, not sure how I missed it. Saw he was projected as a first rounder before that injury too.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Exactly, Creed Humphrey in the 2nd round and Trey Smith in the 6th round in 2021 are both solid starters at C and RG. They drafted Niang in the 3rd round in 2020 and he's been a solid depth piece and possibly starter at RT if they put Tayler at LT.

Kansas City Chiefs All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Just look at all the hits they had in the past 3-4 years of drafts. 2022 every pick except for Kinnard appeared in 11-17 games, many of them wound up in the starting lineup. 4 of their 6 2021 picks have played 33 or 34 games, 2020 5 of the 6 have played significantly too. They are finding quality depth and even starters in the draft in rounds 4-7 even. They are basically doing what the Patriots did during Brady's prime which is drafting smart then trading or moving on from guys when they get too expensive and investing in retaining the ones they can't replace as easy.
I thought Creed Humphrey was a 3rd rounder, but not sure. I agree that they have evaluated OL in the draft recently very well. Before Veatch they had a lot of misses in the draft.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Ouch. Market drying up fast. Probably locks them into a 1st or 2nd round pick at WR, unless Veach has something up his sleeve. Too much faith being put in Toney right now (mainly in ability to stay healthy). Would have liked one of JuJu or Hardman at the price they went at, but maybe can still pick up Chark.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
If they can keep him healthy, I think he could have a gigantic year.
Maybe. He might run into the problem they had in KC. There's only one ball to distribute. With Wilson, Hall, Lazard, Davis, and Conklin all on the roster and still waiting on the Rodgers deal to happen, I certainly wouldn't be predicting too much for him. However, I think they slot him as their primary KR/PR guy as their main dude from last year went to Miami.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Maybe. He might run into the problem they had in KC. There's only one ball to distribute. With Wilson, Hall, Lazard, Davis, and Conklin all on the roster and still waiting on the Rodgers deal to happen, I certainly wouldn't be predicting too much for him. However, I think they slot him as their primary KR/PR guy as their main dude from last year went to Miami.
I am talking about Toney.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I am talking about Toney.

Oops, sorry. Yeah, I've got high hopes for Toney. I'm really hoping KC changes something in his strength and conditioning that is leading to his injuries. Some of it I see is his aggressive jump cuts, but perhaps a change in regimen or technique can keep him healthy all season.

Help Support Us

Become a patron