NFL: Kansas City Chiefs Thread

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
You can simply come right out and state unequivocally that you know better than Brett Veach, Andy Reid, and Andy Heck.

I never said that I knew more.

Now it's entirely possible the Chiefs were completely turned off by Brown in negotiations and that relationship was completely severed, meaning Brown was never an option. The fact they didn't franchise him is somewhat telling. But if it's a straight up performance and salary cap eval the move is very perplexing. Brown's individual blocking grades are better and on the surface Taylor's contract is an overspend.

More than anything I thought it was hilarious how people were calling this a clear upgrade when it's clearly not. It's possible it could end up being so but I think Cinci got the better end of the deal. Signing the better graded player for 4 mil less a season cap hit is a major win, especially against your biggest hurdle in getting to the Super Bowl.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I never said that I knew more.

Now it's entirely possible the Chiefs were completely turned off by Brown in negotiations and that relationship was completely severed, meaning Brown was never an option. The fact they didn't franchise him is somewhat telling. But if it's a straight up performance and salary cap eval the move is very perplexing. Brown's individual blocking grades are better and on the surface Taylor's contract is an overspend.

More than anything I thought it was hilarious how people were calling this a clear upgrade when it's clearly not. It's possible it could end up being so but I think Cinci got the better end of the deal. Signing the better graded player for 4 mil less a season cap hit is a major win, especially against your biggest hurdle in getting to the Super Bowl.
I've heard most GM's in the league view Brown as more of a natural RT as did Chiefs management. Not sure how that played into everything. I think the Chiefs got a guy they felt had more upside long-term if they try him at LT.

Reactions: Halincandenza

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
And JuJu. According to reports, Veach offered him a fair deal but lower than what the Patriots offered. Want to win rings or want financial security?
JuJu is a #3 but wants #2 money. FWIW Toney will only be 1.9 million against the cap next year which ranks him in the 80's among WR's. I expect we'll let him walk when he gets expensive too. As of right now we have an estimated 17.2 million of cap space for 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: CYdTracked

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Brown last year was offered a very nice deal, but he turned that down. As well as he played in the playoffs, he was our worst lineman throughout the season.
Players like Brown have to decide, do I want to get every dollar I can get, or take 80% and win super bowls? Brown chose the money, nothing wrong with that, but the Bengals will struggle once Barrow is done with his rookie contract, he only has two years left on the original contract.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Brown last year was offered a very nice deal, but he turned that down. As well as he played in the playoffs, he was our worst lineman throughout the season.
Players like Brown have to decide, do I want to get every dollar I can get, or take 80% and win super bowls? Brown chose the money, nothing wrong with that, but the Bengals will struggle once Barrow is done with his rookie contract, he only has two years left on the original contract.
I wish Brown had not gone to Cincy to be honest. If they invest in Burrow like KC did with Mahomes they are going to be a good team if they can draft and manage the cap like KC has done so far with locking up Mahomes Jones and Kelce

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Do you think the Chiefs could have signed Brown for less?
I dont think so.

Think he got humbled pretty quick when the Chiefs called his bluff and got left scrambling.

I think if Chiefs could have gotten him on that deal, they likely would have.

The Chiefs offered significantly more last summer.
Yes. I don’t believe that he and his agent were completely ignorant of his market to the point where he turned down a deal that was equal or greater than the Taylor deal. I think the Chiefs deal they offered him was similar to the Cinci deal. That’s what they’ve been saying in KC.

Pretty clear the Chiefs valued Taylor more, because he’s considered the better pass blocker.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I wish Brown had not gone to Cincy to be honest. If they invest in Burrow like KC did with Mahomes they are going to be a good team if they can draft and manage the cap like KC has done so far with locking up Mahomes Jones and Kelce
Disagree on Brown, but agree with the rest. Will Cinci be able to convince their biggest stars to take discounts on their contracts so their team has enough cap room to stay in the championship hunt? Buffalo's didn't. Their window is closing. Baltimore? Good luck. Titans? Done. Chargers? Woof. The Chiefs trio of Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones are all underpaid compared to market value, and they have managed their roster amazingly.

Is there a better positioned franchise in the NFL currently? Niners if Purdy returns to form. They draft well. Same with the Jets if Rogers does land there.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Yes. I don’t believe that he and his agent were completely ignorant of his market to the point where he turned down a deal that was equal or greater than the Taylor deal. I think the Chiefs deal they offered him was similar to the Cinci deal. That’s what they’ve been saying in KC.

Pretty clear the Chiefs valued Taylor more, because he’s considered the better pass blocker.
KC traded a first round pick for Brown, converted him to an LT successfully, and got him a ring.

I think the front office was furious with his ridiculous demands and decided his performance was no longer worth the problems.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Disagree on Brown, but agree with the rest. Will Cinci be able to convince their biggest stars to take discounts on their contracts so their team has enough cap room to stay in the championship hunt? Buffalo's didn't. Their window is closing. Baltimore? Good luck. Titans? Done. Chargers? Woof. The Chiefs trio of Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones are all underpaid compared to market value, and they have managed their roster amazingly.

Is there a better positioned franchise in the NFL currently? Niners if Purdy returns to form. They draft well. Same with the Jets if Rogers does land there.
Is Purdy better than Jimmy G. or something? If you don't have a top 10 QB you aren't winning the Super Bowl.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Is Purdy better than Jimmy G. or something? If you don't have a top 10 QB you aren't winning the Super Bowl.
QB is the 1 position you have to have an elite player at if you want to win a championship. There are some examples where you can get by with an average veteran but most have a well balanced roster with an elite QB

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
QB is the 1 position you have to have an elite player at if you want to win a championship. There are some examples where you can get by with an average veteran but most have a well balanced roster with an elite QB
I think the way the game has turned into a glorified 7 on 7 in a lot of way makes it impossible to have a team win a Super Bowl with a dominant D.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Rogers is 39 and a drama queen. If they get him it's a win now situation for them because there is no long term future with him.
Rodgers hasn't won a big game in a decade. Getting him does not put the Jets in the same convo as the Chiefs and Bengals. Probably not Jax or Buffalo either. Rodgers should have stayed in the NFC if he wanted another trip to the Super Bowl. Not real concerned about the Jets. I really like the Jags next year though.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Cincinnati is about to find out what Buffalo did this past year, its hard to sign your all world QB to a large contract, keep winning at a high level, with players wanting to get paid and drafting later in the draft than when they were horrible.

The Pats gave the blueprint on how to have a dynasty, get an all-world QB, sign him long term to a team friendly contract, do not fall in love with your players, when they get expensive trade or release them, and finally build through the draft and signing free agents that are willing to take less to win a ring.

KC is following the blueprint, and the front office has proven they can find quality players deep in the draft. Now lets see if the Bengals can over the next few years.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Rodgers hasn't won a big game in a decade. Getting him does not put the Jets in the same convo as the Chiefs and Bengals. Probably not Jax or Buffalo either. Rodgers should have stayed in the NFC if he wanted another trip to the Super Bowl. Not real concerned about the Jets. I really like the Jags next year though.
The Jets need a QB. I'm just not sure Rodgers is their answer. He would short term, 2 years maybe, and I'd be surprised if he/they could duplicate something akin to what Brady did in Tampa.

Seems like if Rodgers is to be a Jet, the Jets are wasting the positive draft captital they had. Very interesting though. I would be rooting for him due to Breece. But you're right, I think. If Rodgers wants to play for another team, the NFC would be a less steep hill to climb.

• Agree

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
The Jets need a QB. I'm just not sure Rodgers is their answer. He would short term, 2 years maybe, and I'd be surprised if he/they could duplicate something akin to what Brady did in Tampa.

Seems like if Rodgers is to be a Jet, the Jets are wasting the positive draft captital they had. Very interesting though. I would be rooting for him due to Breece. But you're right, I think. If Rodgers wants to play for another team, the NFC would be a less steep hill to climb.
I think the Jets still made the right move. They had nothing to lose. IMO the best case scenario is Rodgers comes in, Wilson learns from him for 2 years, and he get's a second shot. It's gonna be tough in the AFC unless you draft a stud QB. You got Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence, Allen, Herbert, and maybe Lamar. I was kind of hoping the KC would look at Keenum for QB2 but I see he signed with the Texans.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It's gonna be tough in the AFC unless you draft a stud QB. You got Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence, Allen, Herbert, and maybe Lamar. I was kind of hoping the KC would look at Keenum for QB2 but I see he signed with the Texans.
That's OK, the NFC has Brock Purdy.

• Optimistic

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron