John Deere strike imminent?

jmax71

Oct 21, 2006
This is for 2020. Did John Deere plants all continue to run full time during COVID or was there some shut down happening during that year? It certainly could affect what we are seeing in this statement.
There is a lot of info in this thread that is being projected and calculated out using just simple hourly rates and assumed hours worked. You have to know more about their pay structure than what I am seeing from many posts on here. Different classifications have different rates of pay and most employees are on group operation based incentive plans. Additionally the current labor agreement allows for employees to be laid off for up to (I believe) 12 weeks per year. These weeks can be full weeks or day at a time. Pay for layoff consists of unemployment benefit plus a smaller supplemental benefit. The layoff benefits in no way comes close to what the employees would make if they worked those days or weeks.

Additionally they do have group operation incentive plans that can provide additional earning but also can easily be somewhat manipulated( probably most of the time unintentionally) by layoffs and other day to day management decisions. In most cases those issues negatively impact some incentive earnings the groups have made. Operations of the incentive plans is another big sticking point for the workers in negotiations but it’s not a sexy topic like wages and or retirement that people unfamiliar with the contract can relate too. More times than not contract language and non economic issues are just as much the hot button issue.

Reactions: theguru1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
No, they are just using the same BS numbers they feed to economic development people when they expand or go to a new town with their hands out. Average out all the numbers with a few bloated salaries mixed in to make it all sound better.
So you are saying that this individual's earnings statement posted by this pro-union twitter account is ********?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So you are saying that this individual's earnings statement posted by this pro-union twitter account is ********?

Did you see an actual earnings statement posted, or just the total wages for the year? For all we know this person had been laid off for months from the part shortage. The total hours worked to get to that number is an important piece of information that is missing.

• Winner
Reactions: mramseyISU

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Did you see an actual earnings statement posted, or just the total wages for the year? For all we know this person had been laid off for months from the part shortage. The total hours worked to get to that number is an important piece of information that is missing.
I think you are trying to make the same point I made. Somebody attacked the data as the usual BS that these firms put out when they are trying to get a tax break from some duped municipality.

I think it is pretty disingenuous to post an earnings report from 2020 when pretty much everyone's hours worked and earnings took a hit due to COVID.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think you are trying to make the same point I made. Somebody attacked the data as the usual BS that these firms put out when they are trying to get a tax break from some duped municipality.

I think it is pretty disingenuous to post an earnings report from 2020 when pretty much everyone's hours worked and earnings took a hit due to COVID.
Isnt one of the issues the union has is that JD had a great 2020 financially and their CEO got a raise

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

And maybe I don't understand the process, but if they were laid off for part availability, would that unemployment compensation come from the company or an outside source? I guess I'm wondering if they were laid off for 12 weeks as the contract reportedly allows, is that unemployment compensation included in that screen shot going around or would that be additional?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And maybe I don't understand the process, but if they were laid off for part availability, would that unemployment compensation come from the company or an outside source? I guess I'm wondering if they were laid off for 12 weeks as the contract reportedly allows, is that unemployment compensation included in that screen shot going around or would that be additional?
Unemployment comes from the state and it is reported by the state as income. The employer pays money to the state for unemployment. So it likely wouldn't be part of the income that an employer is including in a statement like this. If the employer was including it here it would be disingenuous on their part. I'm not sure how an employer could include it though since I'm pretty sure they don't have access to what the state is giving their employees.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Isnt one of the issues the union has is that JD had a great 2020 financially and their CEO got a raise

That stat is floated around a lot. Reality is the raise happened when he was promoted to CEO (I'd think that is pretty common) and he makes less than the last CEO did.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I need an official ruling on whether or not I'm supposed to feel bad for/add sympathy for scabs. They aren't actually part of or protected by the union, right? Mostly non-floor, salaried people who typically do other jobs that aren't union labor?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
That stat is floated around a lot. Reality is the raise happened when he was promoted to CEO (I'd think that is pretty common) and he makes less than the last CEO did.
He got promoted in November of 2019 and I'm sure he got a raise along with that promotion but I'm not sure when he actually got the raise. I'm not sure how his salary compares to the last CEO but the last guy worked his way up starting out as an Engineer. Most of use respected the last guy, John May started out as a suit with John Deere Health Care and most everybody I know doesn't have as high of an opinion of him as we did with the last guy.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I need an official ruling on whether or not I'm supposed to feel bad for/add sympathy for scabs. They aren't actually part of or protected by the union, right? Mostly non-floor, salaried people who typically do other jobs that aren't union labor?

Its in their contract that they have to fill in when needed. Can't feel bad for them. I know some of them who really support the union on this one.

• Informative
Reactions: MeowingCows

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Its in their contract that they have to fill in when needed. Can't feel bad for them. I know some of them who really support the union on this one.
Are they getting any gruff from the picketers going to/from work? And what about external people like deliverers/truck drivers/etc?

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
He got promoted in November of 2019 and I'm sure he got a raise along with that promotion but I'm not sure when he actually got the raise. I'm not sure how his salary compares to the last CEO but the last guy worked his way up starting out as an Engineer. Most of use respected the last guy, John May started out as a suit with John Deere Health Care and most everybody I know doesn't have as high of an opinion of him as we did with the last guy.

I'm just citing public record. The stat floated out there is that the CEO pay increased 160%. That number is based on 2019 vs 2020. For the majority of 2019 John May was a president and made similar money to the other presidents. He was promoted in November as you said and that is when the 160% increase occurred. I'm just saying the statement that the CEO got a 160% raise is a little misleading.

I'll avoid the Sam vs John discussion on a public forum.

Reactions: mramseyISU

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
'Ight. On one hand I feel for the other workers or unrelated people still affected by the strike and striker behavior. They've got careers and families to maintain, too, without the protection or benefits of a union. On the other hand I get why the strikers are doing what they are and why they wouldn't view non-union members as allies. They made choices to join a union and group together, the others chose fields that don't do that.