Job Interview FUBARs

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I had been with my last company for 9 years befoire accepting a role at a new company a few months back and I was nervous as hell for my interview. I tend to do really well in interviews but man, if you haven't been through the process in a few years it is somewhat nerve wracking. I had been through several internal interviews at my old job but those were much more informal and laid back.

Going through the whole process made me realize how big of an advantage job hoppers have compared to "loyal" employees when it comes to interviewing. I have a friend who is a recruiter and she says the same thing.

When I got my most recent job, before I interviewed, I called a former supervisor who was a job hopper. He gave me a bit of an improptu interview to see what my answers to some questions were, so that helped.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I had been with my last company for 9 years befoire accepting a role at a new company a few months back and I was nervous as hell for my interview. I tend to do really well in interviews but man, if you haven't been through the process in a few years it is somewhat nerve wracking. I had been through several internal interviews at my old job but those were much more informal and laid back.

Going through the whole process made me realize how big of an advantage job hoppers have compared to "loyal" employees when it comes to interviewing. I have a friend who is a recruiter and she says the same thing.

This is true. I am going through that process now as I am relocating to Rhode Island. I interviewed with my current company about a year and a half ago so I am pretty fresh. However, there is so much pressure to not be who you are and to impress yourself on to your hopeful future employer.

Some tips that I do that may help. I generally do the STAR method of interviewing, so I have a document that is several pages long where I document some of my achievements. This helps me organize my thoughts prior to the interview. Additionally, have some prepped answers for the standard questions that may be asked (strengths, weakness, why are you looking for a job). Having these things written down and reviewed periodically will help you organize your thoughts and be prepared going into your interview.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
I was conducting intern interviews on a campus one time, and we ted to use more generic behavioral based questions. The student answered gave a lot of yes/no responses and couldn't elaborate when we tried to ask more probing questions. the interview was over in about 10 minutes for something that takes 30-40 minutes

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
  • Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
2nd round of interviews for my current job that I got out of college, one of the higher ups asked me if I had to wear many hats at previous jobs.

I froze. I had no idea what that expression meant. I can’t remember what I said exactly but I actually started to discuss a job where I had to wear a hat before I stopped and asked if he could explain his question more.

Got the job, still have the job so I must’ve been pretty good at bullshitting the rest of the process.

omg, I'm dying.

That's actually a good reminder to interviewers about being aware of their use of idioms during interviews- especially if candidates are not originally from the US.

Reactions: isutrevman

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I have a few and probably a lot I forgot.

One internal interview with a guy I knew fairly well. I walked in and tried to break the ice by saying "so you want to design cooling packages?" The response was "no I'm just looking for a promotion." At the end of the interview I asked do you have any questions that we haven't been able to answer in the interview. He replied "yeah I was wondering, did I really need to wear a suit?"

Another interview with an internal guy that did pretty well overall. This was a panel interview with several people. At the end he made a closing statement of "I've been looking for a position with a higher level of leadership for a couple of years. I've interviewed 46 times and haven't gotten any of the positions, but let me just say of those 46 positions this is the one I really really want."

This wasn't the interview but after. The guy didn't get the position that he interviewed for but there was another potential position that I thought he might be a good fit. I called him to tell him he didn't get the initial job and he immediately laid into me screaming over the phone that I made a huge mistake. I said thanks for the input and hung up without mentioning the other position.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This guy had my Spidey-sense tingling from the beginning of the resume. It had his name centered at the top, and beneath it (where you might put a title or position) he had "THE Professional Engineer".

Gag, I had someone do this as well. If you have a PhD or something of actual note to put there, I'll let it slide. But crap like "Social Media Analyst" yeah gag. Also, it's super great when you put a list of your top qualities in the resume with "detail-oriented" as number one............and that aforementioned title? In big font and bold? Spelled incorrectly.

• Funny
Reactions: MeanDean

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
This isn't an interview but after that previous post I just thought of it and was close.

Had a guy that didn't work out in his job and after working through various HR things etc we terminated him. A few weeks later I got an email from him saying he had a couple interviews coming up and wondered if he could list me as a reference.

• Funny
Reactions: throwittoblythe

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
  • Agree
Reactions: oldman

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
- Asked a kid at ISU to tell me about a time he overcame adversity. He told a story about how he got too drunk on Monday of finals week and slept through his final. Failed the class and had to take it over. Did not hire. I appreciated the honesty, but judgment in deciding to tell that story was the issue.

giphy.gif

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Had an interview for my second internship, one of the questions was what leadership things I had done and activites I had planned. Told them about working on setting up a show in the new building on Mortenson. They asked me the name of the building and I went blank. The owner of the company had put up a good chunk of money so it was named after him. Thought I lost the position right there.

Still work for the company today.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
So, I had a female friend (note the past tense) who I used to work with at another job site. She left the area for a few years, but we occasionally kept in touch. A few years later, I get an email from her telling me she's back in town and desperate for a job, any job. We didn't have any openings at the time, but I steered her to a job I know of in Hawaii of all places at a sister company that is desperate for people. So desperate that one of the guys at our company was flown out there at their expense for two weeks, put up at a hotel, paid a per diem in addition to his regular salary and had a car rented for him. Tough work, but someone had to do it.

Several days go by and she's back in my email asking about jobs. I ask her if she applied for the one in Hawaii. She said no, she was "too nervous." I'm thinking she must not be as desperate for a job as she said.

Anyway, I steer her to another job I had just heard of that's in my same corporation, but a different company in a town about 15 miles from us. I gave her a good recommendation. About a week goes by and I hear from my boss that this woman went to that job interview and had just sat down, when she interrupted the interviewer and asked if they drug tested. When the interviewer said yes, she said, "well, let's not waste each other's time then," and got up and left.

I was furious. Here I was trying to help this woman and giving her a good recommendation and she pulls a stunt like that. I emailed her back and let her know that I knew exactly what she had done and I told her never to contact me again, until and unless she had cleaned herself up. I haven't heard from her since.

• Winner
Reactions: MeanDean

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Anyway, I steer her to another job I had just heard of that's in my same corporation, but a different company in a town about 15 miles from us. I gave her a good recommendation. About a week goes by and I hear from my boss that this woman went to that job interview and had just sat down, when she interrupted the interviewer and asked if they drug tested. When the interviewer said yes, she said, "well, let's not waste each other's time then," and got up and left.

LOL this is fantastic!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Under the Hobbies/Volunteer section I had added a volunteer effort that I was involved in only a very minor role. I added this to my resume my freshman year of college and never took it off. So I was applying for a job in my 3rd year of graduate school and the interviewer said "tell me more about your involvement in this....". I totally had forgotten it was on my resume, and I basically had nothing to say about it other than I carried some boxes from one part of campus to another part of campus.

Turned out the guy that was interviewing me's daughter was the person that was in charge of this philanthropic effort for the entire campus, so he asks me questions about it for a good 3-4 minutes. I finally fessed up that I just carried some boxes and really didn't do anything beyond that.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
she said, "well, let's not waste each other's time then," and got up and left.

Something similar just happened where I work. We interviewed an intern candidate in Colorado. She was fantastic, everyone was hoping she would accept. We sent her the offer letter which includes language about it being contingent on a pre-employment drug screen.

She emails back to tell us that if she took a drug test today, she'd probably fail. Turns out her parents had retired and taken up pot smoking as a hobby, and she had joined them in a toke a week or two prior. She actually did it in a very professional way and said she completely understood if we wanted to withdraw her from consideration. We talked to HR and he told us that if she was lying and was actually a pothead, there's no way she would pass, but if she did only do it once, it should be out of her system by the time she takes the drug test.

Turns out she passed and is now doing a great job.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Something similar just happened where I work. We interviewed an intern candidate in Colorado. She was fantastic, everyone was hoping she would accept. We sent her the offer letter which includes language about it being contingent on a pre-employment drug screen.

She emails back to tell us that if she took a drug test today, she'd probably fail. Turns out her parents had retired and taken up pot smoking as a hobby, and she had joined them in a toke a week or two prior. She actually did it in a very professional way and said she completely understood if we wanted to withdraw her from consideration. We talked to HR and he told us that if she was lying and was actually a pothead, there's no way she would pass, but if she did only do it once, it should be out of her system by the time she takes the drug test.

Turns out she passed and is now doing a great job.

This is a HUGE issue for companies that are operating in Colorado but are not headquartered there. Most make their employees fall under the same cooperate drug use guidelines even though it is completely legal. These companies are having a really hard time finding new hires that can "qualify".

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe