Is Self Done at KU

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
The ku banquet was last night and self told the crowd he isn't going anywhere plans to stay at ku.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone1995

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Two head coaches — neither from Durham — were supposed to visit a key Duke basketball target on Sunday, but the 2019 recruit’s father essentially told them not to bother.

With a recruiting dead period starting at midnight, the father of 2019 power forward Matthew Hurt went ahead and put an end to coaches’ recruitment of his son on Sunday. This news insinuates a decision is already in the books and further suggests the news of Hurt committing to the Duke basketball program is about to become reality.

Kansas coach Bill Self and Kentucky coach John Calipari had intended to drop by the five-star scoring phenom’s home in Rochester, Minn., on Sunday in a last-ditch effort to sway the decision Hurt plans to announce from his John Marshall High School on Friday. But Richard Hurt canceled said visits, according to a tweet from KTTC’s Mark Poulose on Sunday evening
Yep, Hurt is Duke bound. KU is going to need to land a few grad transfers to avoid the middle of the pack next season. We're still in on Achiewa and Stanley (who also looks like a Duke lean right now) and no one knows what's up with Dok since he hasn't declared for the draft yet. Not good right now but there's still some options out there. KU will get some players.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Oh really?

young-self.jpg

$50 for whichever one of you goes and pulls it off.

Really.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The ku banquet was last night and self told the crowd he isn't going anywhere plans to stay at ku.
Self should be telling KU he needs a raise, if anything. Hoiberg barely makes less money than Self. If Self threatened with either pay me or I leave I would imagine they pay him.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
KU must be really struggling recruiting wise, if they want to get De Sousa's ban overturned. Yikes!
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...6552686/kansas-files-appeal-de-sousa-ban-ncaa
Why would KU not want a player back who was a top 30 recruit and has been in their system for 1.5 years? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wins his appeal. His punishment was absurdly overreaching.

Todd Gurley got a 25% suspension, 4 games, for selling autographed memorabilia for more than $3,000. Cash. Which went directly to HIM.

• Creative
Reactions: NWICY

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Self should be telling KU he needs a raise, if anything. Hoiberg barely makes less money than Self. If Self threatened with either pay me or I leave I would imagine they pay him.
This may not be the time for Self to push for a raise. He's doing just fine.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Why would KU not want a player back who was a top 30 recruit and has been in their system for 1.5 years? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he wins his appeal. His punishment was absurdly overreaching.

Todd Gurley got a 25% suspension, 4 games, for selling autographed memorabilia for more than $3,000. Cash. Which went directly to HIM.

And ISU lost a player for an entire season because his teammates received excessive housing stipends at his European club team. There is precedent both ways.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

25% of 12 is now 4?

• Funny
Reactions: randomfan44

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009

His punishment was fair, he (or his guardian, same thing per guidelines) received far more than the $2500 that you keep harping on per all indications. The only ones still holding on to the $2500 number are KU fans. Just because the only number used in the Adidas trial is $2500 doesn't mean that the NCAA doesn't have sufficient evidence to be comfortable in the bigger number that is clear to most rational people.

The bigger question is what are the odds that the two players (from one class no less) are the only two that Adidas paid, and it just so happened to coincide with the FBI investigation? Pretty big coincidence that the only two players that KU (or its agents) EVER paid are in the same class and it just happened to align.

I find it odd that KU wants to poke the NCAA while they are being investigated for bigger issues than one player's eligibility. But you have shown that KU and their fans have an amazingly large capacity for rationalization of its own innocence.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Yep, Hurt is Duke bound. KU is going to need to land a few grad transfers to avoid the middle of the pack next season. We're still in on Achiewa and Stanley (who also looks like a Duke lean right now) and no one knows what's up with Dok since he hasn't declared for the draft yet. Not good right now but there's still some options out there. KU will get some players.
I'm so sick of Duke....

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I'm so sick of Duke....

There's a big difference between Duke and Ku though. Yes, both basketball-first schools. Duke a great academic institution, top 10. Ku top 150. Duke private. Ku public. Duke 8,000 students; Ku 20,000. Coach K, probably the greatest coach of all time. Self, HOF already, which is odd in and of itself. Duke 5 national championships since 1990; Ku one.

So, I can see why a youngster would pick Duke over Ku. Lots of reasons.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
His punishment was fair, he (or his guardian, same thing per guidelines) received far more than the $2500 that you keep harping on per all indications. The only ones still holding on to the $2500 number are KU fans. Just because the only number used in the Adidas trial is $2500 doesn't mean that the NCAA doesn't have sufficient evidence to be comfortable in the bigger number that is clear to most rational people.

The bigger question is what are the odds that the two players (from one class no less) are the only two that Adidas paid, and it just so happened to coincide with the FBI investigation? Pretty big coincidence that the only two players that KU (or its agents) EVER paid are in the same class and it just happened to align.

I find it odd that KU wants to poke the NCAA while they are being investigated for bigger issues than one player's eligibility. But you have shown that KU and their fans have an amazingly large capacity for rationalization of its own innocence.
The NCAA announced exactly what the numbers were. His guardian received $2,500 and in their opinion, agreed to receive $20,000 more that he didn't receive. If they knew he received more than the $2 500 then it would have been published. And for the umpteenth time, I have no problem with a punishment consistent with others. But DeSousa's punishment was far beyond any previous precedent.

His appeal is heard by Student-Athlete Reinstatement staff, made up of a team within the NCAA's academic and membership affairs department. Kansas should expect to hear back in the next 1-3 weeks, depending on how the appeal was classified. I wouldn't be surprised if it is cut to the 1 year, 37 game suspension he has already served and he is allowed to play next season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron