Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2023

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
That is an interesting one. To me that almost seems like he must not have liked playing for Tang. Why would you transfer otherwise when him and Tomlin would be their best two returning players? A shooter like that will be in high demand.
They return their two starting bigs, maybe he wants to start and Tang told him his role would be similar to this year.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
He's not a 5 but glad to see him leaving MHK

He's a modern 5.
Not on a team w/ Tomlin/NGuessen, but he certainly should be in that role in modern basketball.

I can't imagine having Nowell/Ish and not running a pick and roll with them every play. Instead (when they played in Ames at least), they played P&R with the other bigs and we continuously trapped Nowell up high with a double team.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
He's a modern 5.
Not on a team w/ Tomlin/NGuessen, but he certainly should be in that role in modern basketball.

I can't imagine having Nowell/Ish and not running a pick and roll with them every play. Instead (when they played in Ames at least), they played P&R with the other bigs and we continuously trapped Nowell up high with a double team.

Disagree but this is surprising as he would of been one of their key returnees next year.

Curious to see where he ends up. He's from Harlem NY. St John's?

Reactions: Halincandenza

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Wow didn't see that coming. But after his play in the tourny he is probably shopping for some $$$$$

It really is an interesting part of NIL. You may not be worth a ton to your team, but you're probably worth alot to somebody. Some cash-flushed team trying to rebuild will probably give him big $ as a stretch 4.

I want to say they said during the tournament that he was high school buddies with Nowell? Maybe that's part of his leaving as well.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
The CF scholarship chart has Ward on it.. Are we to assume that is close to a public announcement?

1680116421090.png

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
He always torched us. Would love to get him
Not sure he is a fit for ISU. He's a solid player, but not a Big12 post. He's a 3/4, not a 5. Pretty sure that's how K-State played him as well.

My take is any minutes he would get diminishes minutes for King, Momcilovic, Biliew, Watson and Fish.

He had a great Michigan State game in the tournament, but in K-State's other 3 games he only averaged around 15 minutes and a few shots. Those minutes weren't any different than the regular season.

I might be wrong, but feel like we need a solid low post player, a do everything scoring guard and a 3pt shooting guard.

• Agree
Reactions: Final42b

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Looking back at the 2021 and 2022 transfer classes and COVID year announcements with TJ running the ship.. Remember how awesome 4/10/2021 was!?

Jaz - 3/24/2021
BRE - 4/1/2021
Hunter re-commitment - 4/10/2021
Gabe - 4/10/2021
Grill - 4/10/2021
Enaruna - 4/19/2021
Brockington - 5/5/2021

Kunc COVID year - 4/2/2022
Williams - 4/4/2022
Ward - 4/18/2022
Holmes - 4/29/2022
Gabe COVID year - 5/4/2022
Osun - 5/16/2022

Tre King strong rumored to return - ??
BRE COVID year - 3/27/2023
Ward COVID year - 3/29?

Could start to see action in the next week on a commitment

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Not sure he is a fit for ISU. He's a solid player, but not a Big12 post. He's a 3/4, not a 5. Pretty sure that's how K-State played him as well.

My take is any minutes he would get diminishes minutes for King, Momcilovic, Biliew, Watson and Fish.

He had a great Michigan State game in the tournament, but in K-State's other 3 games he only averaged around 15 minutes and a few shots. Those minutes weren't any different than the regular season.

I might be wrong, but feel like we need a solid low post player, a do everything scoring guard and a 3pt shooting guard.

He hit some big shots in their Kentucky game

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA

Nah, we won't target him. More interesting as it is a relevant loss for a rival.

Sounds like he wants more playing time and may just elect to not use the Covid year and seek a pro contract overseas. He only played 15 minutes a game this year but was very impactful in his role shooting 42% from three on 91 attempts. Went 4-5 from three in 27 minutes in our game against KState in Hilton.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Ish is a good dude with a solid outside game. However, he had trouble keeping up with his shadow on defense and didn't rebound at all.

I suspect coach Tang told him that he might be better placed in a different program. No way of knowing, but when Keyontae Johnson went out of the Florida Atlantic game, State's defense went wanting with Ish at the three.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

your last sentence....and so are most everyone else, unfortunately.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ish is a good dude with a solid outside game. However, he had trouble keeping up with his shadow on defense and didn't rebound at all.

I suspect coach Tang told him that he might be better placed in a different program. No way of knowing, but when Keyontae Johnson went out of the Florida Atlantic game, State's defense went wanting with Ish at the three.
Not a slam, but KSU's defense was not all that good all game.