Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2023

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Huh? The Grill Lampkin situation do not appears to be similar at all.

I mean just look at Dixon, you don't think he's the type of coach who is a prick to his players?
I think coaches who are pricks to their players don't last as long as Dixon has. Having said that, certain coaches probably aren't for everyone. I just can't see someone working their way through the college ranks and hold a HC position for many years if they aren't generally liked by most people. I know fans often think things like "I can't believe anyone wants to play for Huggins, or McCaffrey or Chris Beard, etc..." but 90% of their players seem to love them. That's not an accident. As bad as some coaches look on the court, they're pretty much always very friendly, personable people off it, or they wouldn't be in the position they are.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think coaches who are pricks to their players don't last as long as Dixon has. Having said that, certain coaches probably aren't for everyone. I just can't see someone working their way through the college ranks and hold a HC position for many years if they aren't generally liked by most people. I know fans often think things like "I can't believe anyone wants to play for Huggins, or McCaffrey or Chris Beard, etc..." but 90% of their players seem to love them. That's not an accident. As bad as some coaches look on the court, they're pretty much always very friendly, personable people off it, or they wouldn't be in the position they are.

I don't disagree but there is a difference in being a hardnosed coach and a prick. A hard nosed coach like you mentioned don't use racial terms towards their players but the prick would.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
You said no one wants Lamkin. I disagree - I'd take him at ISU, he's a good player. Go to the "Jamie Dixon" in trouble thread and see how many CFers wants Lampkin here.

I'm not sure what in that article is a negative for Lampkin. He doesn't like how he was treated by Dixon, how's that a negative.

If anything that article sheds light on how I perceived Dixon to be.
That’s fair.

What bothers me about the whole thing is that Dixon has been a coach for a long time. First job was in 1989 and he’s been a head coach since 2003. To my recollection, besides the neo-skunk thing he’s got going, this is the first time anyone has said anything remotely bad about him. Does one become a complete prick-******* overnight? Maybe, but there are always two sides to a story.

I’d steer clear of Lampkin for these reasons.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
That’s fair.

What bothers me about the whole thing is that Dixon has been a coach for a long time. First job was in 1989 and he’s been a head coach since 2003. To my recollection, besides the neo-skunk thing he’s got going, this is the first time anyone has said anything remotely bad about him. Does one become a complete prick-******* overnight? Maybe, but there are always two sides to a story.

I’d steer clear of Lampkin for these reasons.

He's always struck me as a pompus a hole. Ferentz has been a coach for a long time and he had the racial accusations that were just settled. All it takes is one time to **** up.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Why is “Do we want Lampkin?” even being asked. He’s not really very good. Over hyped because of the personality.
He's a good player, but I was surprised to see his stats. Not what I expected. He'll still end up at a good program; kind of a poor mans Bacot.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Ledlum has interest from Kentucky and UCLA.

Kentucky Interest

UCLA Interest

I have learned not to underestimate TJ, but if TJ wants him and we get him … wow!
We're going to have a hard time landing high level transfers. Those guys are looking to get paid. They're not NBA guys so most are looking to make their money now. I don't know if NIL is effecting high school recruiting (outside of the very top guys) that much because most teams would rather spend NIL money on proven players in the transfer portal than high school guys who likely wont have a major impact right away.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
He's a good player, but I was surprised to see his stats. Not what I expected. He'll still end up at a good program; kind of a poor mans Bacot.
He showed a ton of potential as a freshman, which is where the hype came from. He also had a 20pt, 14 rebound game against Arizona in the NCAA tournament. He didn't expand on that this year though.