Illinois matchup

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
What would be the O/U on turnovers from Illinois Thursday night? 14?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We are not a great rebounding team when I watch us rebound, but that rebounding statistic is bad for us because we force turnovers, as opposed to getting rebounds.

Our rebounding statistics are also thrown off because we force a lot of turnovers... When you look at TO margin between our opponents, yeah we are typically going to get outrebounded. We also force teams into a lot of bad shots which can also lead to weird rebounds.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Agree, that's a huge key.

The others are:
- Stop Shannon in transition / ISO. If he gets deep toward the rim consistently, we are going to rack up the fouls and he'll shoot a ton of FTs
- Turn them over and score off of it (always a key)
- Slow the pace down, press, walk the ball up, be deliberate on offense
Your final point is why I love that we have Lipsey. He will control the tempo of the game

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We are not a good half court offense, we have to turn people over to get our offense going. Points off of turnovers will be a key stat in this game. Plus, we need to limit their offensive rebounding. The way the game is called will be an important factor. They are going to go right at us, attack the hoop, to draw fouls. If they call the game tight, we could be in trouble. If they let us play physical, I think we eventually break them.

My comments have more to do with Illinois being a poor defensive team. Our offense should be able to execute with patience and get good looks. The key is to not settle for quick shots.

Reactions: cayin

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
It looks like Illinois averages similar to what WSU did in turnovers per game. I thought WSU handled our pressure decently but just couldn’t make shots. We have to find a way to turn these guys over.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Our rebounding statistics are also thrown off because we force a lot of turnovers... When you look at TO margin between our opponents, yeah we are typically going to get outrebounded. We also force teams into a lot of bad shots which can also lead to weird rebounds.
Isn't this exactly what I said?

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
You can try and stop Shannon, but according to current criminal charges against him it sounds like he doesn't take no for an answer
Yeah. He originally committed to Michigan, but had grade issues. Michigan wanted him to take Summer classes to get his grades up and instead he jetted for the Illini.

The guy's good but I would say he may have some serious character issues.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
That's really huge. They absolutely haven't faced a defense like ours.
And I think their lack of a true PG will also be a big factor. To navigate our trapping D, you need guards with a good handle who won't throw the ball away or say, pass to someone in the corner who's easily trapped.

I think we'll get a lot of turnovers here in this one. And we have to turn those into points like usual.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
We are not a good half court offense, we have to turn people over to get our offense going. Points off of turnovers will be a key stat in this game. Plus, we need to limit their offensive rebounding. The way the game is called will be an important factor. They are going to go right at us, attack the hoop, to draw fouls. If they call the game tight, we could be in trouble. If they let us play physical, I think we eventually break them.
Keep in mind that we face a lot of tough D in our league. I really think with Ill's poor defense, it'll be like breath of fresh air to our guys.

I expect a lot of open looks for us. I have a sneaking suspicion that Milan's going to go off (even more than he has been).

In fact I'm predicting it here: Milan will outscore Shannon in this one.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
And I think their lack of a true PG will also be a big factor. To navigate our trapping D, you need guards with a good handle who won't throw the ball away or say, pass to someone in the corner who's easily trapped.

I think we'll get a lot of turnovers here in this one. And we have to turn those into points like usual.
Their fans are talking up Domask a lot - but I think he could really struggle. They like to put him in high post up situations and pass out of that. He'll have a big height advantage over Tamin so should be able to pass over him, but I think he could really struggle to move Tamin in those "booty ball" situations without getting the ball swiped.

Coleman Hawkins, their '5', has the second most assists on the season. And he's a 38% 3-pt shooter. If I were Illinois, I'd take a page from BYU and go with the smaller line-up where everyone can shoot the 3, run a 5-out approach with Hawkins up top (like BYU did with Khalifa) and then run motions off of that to get open shooters or Shannon isolated. We could really struggle with that attack.

But their start Ty Rodgers at the '3' (kind of), who is 6'6" and bouncy, their best offensive rebounder and 3rd on the team in assist - but he hasn't attempted a 3-pt shot all year. And then they bring in the big bodied Dainja who bangs in the post, moving Hawkins to the '4', but he also hasn't attempted a 3. So as long as one of those two are in the game, they won't be able to get the kind of spacing they'll really need.

Rodgers vs Milan at the '3' will be very interesting, as they are about the same size, but polar opposite players.

Reactions: legi

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
It looks like Illinois averages similar to what WSU did in turnovers per game. I thought WSU handled our pressure decently but just couldn’t make shots. We have to find a way to turn these guys over.
how they stayed in the middle third of the floor was impressive and limited our standard exploits. They wore down and moved away from that as the game went on in the second half.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Keep in mind that we face a lot of tough D in our league. I really think with Ill's poor defense, it'll be like breath of fresh air to our guys.

I expect a lot of open looks for us. I have a sneaking suspicion that Milan's going to go off (even more than he has been).

In fact I'm predicting it here: Milan will outscore Shannon in this one.

I'd say it's more likely for us to score 80 than it is for Illinois. I don't exactly expect either to, but when it's a crucial time for a score, we're in much better shape than they are.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
One thing that concerns me is that Duquesne's defense was pretty solid (#31 in KenPom), and Illinois torched them.

I think we can slow Illinois down, but they are still good offensively and will find ways to score. We just cant have an off night, and need to be hitting shots.
1>31

Help Support Us

Become a patron