Hy-Vee Big 4 Classic Ending

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Both Iowa and isu are 5-1 in the games. Not a lot for either team to gain.

10-2 in this neutral setup but both had horrible recent records @UNI including some very atrociously officiated games for both. I'm including the pre-Jacobsen era when UNI sucked. I went to a game there in '98 (Fizer's freshman year) and halftime fouls were 13-1 in UNI's favor. That's not something built to last in today's college sports environment.

Fran was blindsided with how lopsided and obviously bad the calls were against Iowa his first trip to UNI. That's what got the entire neutral site thing started in the first place and I can't really disagree with his reaction. You have to just live with that @KU and @MSU but not @MVC if you're a Big Ten or Big 12 school.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Moving forward it makes a lot more sense for us to do home and homes with teams like Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Creighton, Missouri, Wichita St., and Nebraska.

I kind of expect to get something worked out with Drake where most, if not all, the games are in Hilton.

I looked at scheduling for some comparable situations not that long ago, specifically OU, OKSt, KSU, and KU playing Oral Roberts, Tulsa and WSU. It worked out about 4:1 or 3:1 overall with those 4 Big 12 schools playing ORU, Tulsa and WSU. They do play there once or twice a decade, but it's nothing near the 1:1 our in state series was for decades.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Just curious why do you think we need to get used to playing away from Hilton more in non conference?

Just for the team to get used to it prior to conference games. Obviously we do play at Carver every other year, but we don't play many games in competitor's home court otherwise. And now that the SEC games have moved to January, we lose another opportunity to get that experience prior to conference games.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Just for the team to get used to it prior to conference games. Obviously we do play at Carver every other year, but we don't play many games in competitor's home court otherwise. And now that the SEC games have moved to January, we lose another opportunity to get that experience prior to conference games.

With holiday tournaments I'm fine with not having any more road games than we need. Need to get wins in the non conference. Ideally you have the holiday tournament, Iowa or even better find a better team to replace them, SEC challenge and a home and home with a solid program and fill the rest with cupcakes

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
10-2 in this neutral setup but both had horrible recent records @UNI including some very atrociously officiated games for both. I'm including the pre-Jacobsen era when UNI sucked. I went to a game there in '98 (Fizer's freshman year) and halftime fouls were 13-1 in UNI's favor. That's not something built to last in today's college sports environment.

Fran was blindsided with how lopsided and obviously bad the calls were against Iowa his first trip to UNI. That's what got the entire neutral site thing started in the first place and I can't really disagree with his reaction. You have to just live with that @KU and @MSU but not @MVC if you're a Big Ten or Big 12 school.

Fun Fact: For the entirety of the series the officials were assigned by the Big Ten/Big 12 respectively. So, by this logic, the Big Ten and Big 12 sent officials into Cedar Falls to screw their own league teams. Also, the Valley uses the exact same pool of officials that the Big 12 uses, they are in an officiating consortium together.

As far as the Fran game, Fran walked into that building that night with the goal of getting run. Our seats are 4 rows behind the visitor bench and some of the things coming out of his mouth that evening were just flat disgusting. He acted like a petulant child from the moment he walked out and was tossed by a guy that has done something like 8 Final Fours after giving Fran every opportuinity to change his behavior.

Everybody thinks their team is getting screwed.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm a cbball nut so I love any chance to watch games but I think the demise of this event is about two things:

1. College bball is just isn't that popular with our fanbases/state. Most seem to only want to watch their team
2. Des Moines is lacking as a sports town. Just not enough casual sports/cbball fans to make this event a success.

1.) IMO the biggest issue is that somebody has to play Drake. Since the inception of the Big 4 Drake has been terrible. If both games were expected to be competitive I think you would have more butts in seats for both games.

2.) I disagree with this. Des Moines is 100% a college town. Again IMO Drake is the main issue. They just don't move the needle enough for certain fans to justify the ticket price.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Fun Fact: For the entirety of the series the officials were assigned by the Big Ten/Big 12 respectively.

I know this. It was still an environment where you got homered even back when UNI really sucked before the great run they've had recently. You aren't very familiar with ISU basketball if you think Big 12 hired officials won't screw over ISU.

Power 5 teams don't sign up for that in a 1:1 situation. Just reality you need to accept.

Look at the KSU/KU/OU/OSU scheduling vs ORU/WSU/Tulsa over the past two decades. That's more the norm. 1:1 was a pretty big anomaly nationally.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Fun Fact: For the entirety of the series the officials were assigned by the Big Ten/Big 12 respectively. So, by this logic, the Big Ten and Big 12 sent officials into Cedar Falls to screw their own league teams. Also, the Valley uses the exact same pool of officials that the Big 12 uses, they are in an officiating consortium together.

As far as the Fran game, Fran walked into that building that night with the goal of getting run. Our seats are 4 rows behind the visitor bench and some of the things coming out of his mouth that evening were just flat disgusting. He acted like a petulant child from the moment he walked out and was tossed by a guy that has done something like 8 Final Fours after giving Fran every opportuinity to change his behavior.

He was ridiculous that night

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

He was ridiculous but the officiating was comically one sided. Not caring for Fran I was enjoying it but no impartial party could have called that an evenly officiated game.

P5 teams don't sign up for that every other year at mid major conference gyms in the modern era. Fran probably couldn't believe they were stuck in that deal being from outside the state. Prohm probably would have been shocked ISU had a 1:1 with Drake until recently if you asked him privately.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Ooh la la. How about some of the juiciest quotes?

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
I'd love to see this replaced with a yearly series with Mizzou or Nebraska. The whining period over conference realignment has passed, it's time to start bringing back those long lasting regional series that people actually want to see.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

A Big East/B12 challenge is practically a done deal in the next couple of years. If the end result is that replaces the Big 4 classic it will be an upgrade. More interest from the public, resume builder and likely a ESPN/FoxSports programming.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'd love to see this replaced with a yearly series with Mizzou or Nebraska. The whining period over conference realignment has passed, it's time to start bringing back those long lasting regional series that people actually want to see.
How about the Goofers? There are a lot of Cyclones up here that will do all we can to turn The Barn into Hilton North. Amirite, @BoxsterCy, @jcyclonee, @cyrocksmypants, etc.?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron