Hy-Vee Big 4 Classic Ending

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Mostly correct. Ohio State was Morgan's third season — ISU completed the "away-and-neutral" series at Ohio State in McD's first year. Bradley game was in DM that same season (both were losses) And yes, Creighton was Hoiberg's first season, the buzzer-beater by Vanderbeken.
Yeah I was shooting from the hip so thanks for clarifying. Regardless, we were pretty bad all those years. Do a game like those at Wells Fargo two seasons from now, and the reception from the fans is most likely better.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Good! Been boycotting it for years. Lousy venue, high prices for bad seats, do not like being around that many Hawkeyes. However, I want us to play UNI and Drake every year - but none at the Well. I would think all parties could agree on 2:1 Home and Home.

I don't mind playing at McLeod against UNI or WF against Drake. Maybe setup a four year rotation with playing one of these schools every year. We need to get used to playing away from Hilton more in the nonconference. Might as well win the PR by playing the in-state teams.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I don't mind playing at McLeod against UNI or WF against Drake. Maybe setup a four year rotation with playing one of these schools every year. We need to get used to playing away from Hilton more in the nonconference. Might as well win the PR by playing the in-state teams.

Just curious why do you think we need to get used to playing away from Hilton more in non conference?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I would like to see ISU play Drake and UNI every year but understand why ISU would choose to want that game in Hilton or not at all ($).

If the goal is to grow the central Iowa fan base, I actually think it would be more beneficial to schedule a P5 opponent once a year in Wells Fargo instead of the rotation of the Drake/UNI. Playing a game like they do in Sioux Fall or Kansas City (like KU does) every year would get national attention possibly be picked up nationally and get more attention locally than the Big 4 has generated to this point.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Does playing a game at WFA really get more ISU fans from DM? I feel like the only people that would go are people who are already fans.
Winning generates the most fans. The easiest way to win is at Hilton. The only way I would want to play at WFA is if we get a big name team that refuses to play in Hilton, but would come to DM.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Does playing a game at WFA really get more ISU fans from DM? I feel like the only people that would go are people who are already fans.
Winning generates the most fans. The easiest way to win is at Hilton. The only way I would want to play at WFA is if we get a big name team that refuses to play in Hilton, but would come to DM.

KU, KSU, and Mizzou all play a non con game at Sprint Center each year, so they must see some benefit to an arrangement like that.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think the 2 for 1's are more than fair, but it does not sound like JP is interested in that at all.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
KU, KSU, and Mizzou all play a non con game at Sprint Center each year, so they must see some benefit to an arrangement like that.

KU does every year, but the other two do not (they have played games there, but not annually). The KU season ticket package also includes that game. Mizzou plays Illinois each year in St Louis, however.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
So I take it you are a not a Big 12 Tournament Ticket buyer? You have to buy a ticket to watch the game you want to and a game you don't perhaps.

If you are a college basketball fan, it shouldn't matter. If I buy a ticket to watch the Cyclones, it is a bonus to see Creighton take on Drake. Sign me up.

That's what they call a false equivalency.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think UNI needs as many quality RPI games as they can get since their conference is so weak now. If they have a chance to come to Hilton they should do it.

Normally I hate the purple hawks, but like when they represent the state well. I feel the worst for them with all this realignment. They lost all the good schools.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
He shouldn't be, we hold all the cards.
Yeah I don't disagree with that, just stating that I think a 2 for 1 is fair. I just think if Drake or UNI are going to play annual road games against a P5 school, its just as easy for them to play another P5 school in any of the bordering states.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

I would imagine so. I will use my family as an example . . . I'm not a die-hard Cyclone basketball fan, more like a "2nd tier" fan (and make fun of me if you want, but you know we need these kinds of fans!" -- I generally watch most of our basketball games on TV (at least Big 12 ones) but haven't been to a game in person since the early 2000's. . .

But I would be more likely to take my kids to a game at Wells Fargo or the Knapp Center against Drake so long as I'm paying for just the one game (didn't like the idea of paying for 2 games in the Big 4 Classic). Not sure how "niche" of a market I'm in, but there are at least some of us.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclonedave25

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm a cbball nut so I love any chance to watch games but I think the demise of this event is about two things:

1. College bball is just isn't that popular with our fanbases/state. Most seem to only want to watch their team
2. Des Moines is lacking as a sports town. Just not enough casual sports/cbball fans to make this event a success.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I highly doubt that we will see @ UNI or @ Drake game anytime soon. If we are going on the road, I rather play @MN, @Nebraska, @Creighton, or @Mizzou.