Hy-Vee Big 4 Classic Ending

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Those of you speculating that we should drop Iowa need to be shot.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
I think UNI needs as many quality RPI games as they can get since their conference is so weak now. If they have a chance to come to Hilton they should do it.
It seems like the natural move for both ISU and UNI would be a combination of games in Hilton and Wells Fargo (stand alone event or double header with the women's teams). It just doesn't make much economic sense for ISU to play in a 7,100 seat arena. And UNI should want to keep ISU on their non-conference schedule for RPI etc.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
UNI likes to be known as the team not afraid to play anyone on the road, and therefore shouldn’t mind playing at Hilton every year

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
ISU should 100% take this opportunity to play a stand alone game at WF every year (not against UNI or Drake though). Own DSM.
ISU has done a few of those since Wells has been open (Ohio St., Creighton, et al) and it has never seemed to move the needle much for casual Des Moines sports fan. Usually the crowds have been made up of Iowa State fans who would just as soon watch the game in Hilton.

Having said that, I agree completely that ISU needs to continue to do everything they can to get the Des Moines market.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
ISU should 100% take this opportunity to play a stand alone game at WF every year (not against UNI or Drake though). Own DSM.

ISU has done a few of those since Wells has been open (Ohio St., Creighton, et al) and it has never seemed to move the needle much for casual Des Moines sports fan. Usually the crowds have been made up of Iowa State fans who would just as soon watch the game in Hilton.

Having said that, I agree completely that ISU needs to continue to do everything they can to get the Des Moines market.

I always chuckled whenever I heard Medved on KXNO stating that Drake was Des Moines' D1 option.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

When were those games? Was Creightin the last one in year one of Fred? That was a long time ago.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

Papajets

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 26, 2014
If this is handled correctly ISU will continue its march to making this a Cyclone state. I'm with Gunnerclone, own the Des Moines market with a game a Wells Fargo and work out a way to play UNI and Drake with 2 for 1 deals or whatever JP can work out.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

We also absolutely sucked at the time.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Dumb move by Iowa. This event gave them a way to showcase their program to their fans in central Iowa and now they are backing out so they can schedule another patsy non-conference game at Carver where their fans will care less and probably not show up like the pretty much do now.

For ISU I hope at least they make an attempt to keep UNI and Drake on the schedule somehow with the condition of them coming to Hilton or I'd even entertain a 2 for one where we only travel there every third year. I'm not scared of either team and UNI at least most years adds a quality non-conference game to the schedule instead of playing some no name school with a RPI in the 200's. Also give's ISU that chance to maybe fin a way to bring in a quality non conference opponent to the Well too. I've always wondered why we don't try to schedule more home and home series with border team schools like Illinois, Minnesota, and despite them ditching the Big 12 I'd even entertain Nebraska and Mizzou. With the Classic done now why not start up a new tradition and play 1 of those 4 at the Well every year? Granted it still would be mostly like a home game for us but playing in a bigger venue on a somewhat neutral court if they market it right could be appealing to add a power 5 non conference game to our strength of schedule. I'm looking long term here and if our goal is to make the tournament consistently going forward we need to add another game or 2 to the non conference against other power 5 schools to build a stronger non-conference resume. That's why I am not against finding a way to keep either UNI or Drake on the schedule on a given year because they are still better teams than most we bring into Hilton during the non-conference schedule.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I can tell you that there is no way UNI is going to Ames without getting games in Cedar Falls. UNI would do a 2 for 1 if Iowa State was agreeable. Our AD came from Iowa State and has a great relationship with Jamie, so it wouldn't surprise me if they worked something out. If not, UNI will probably just look for a guarantee game somewhere else.

I would assume Drake would jump all over a 2 for 1 with the one being played at the Well.

This December will be the last time UNI plays Iowa and, as always, **** Iowa.

Of course UNI wants to be subsidized even more!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This. I think the Ohio State game was the second year of Morgan, the Bradley game was the first year of McDermott, and the Creighton game was the first year of Hoiberg.

Mostly correct. Ohio State was Morgan's third season — ISU completed the "away-and-neutral" series at Ohio State in McD's first year. Bradley game was in DM that same season (both were losses) And yes, Creighton was Hoiberg's first season, the buzzer-beater by Vanderbeken.