Hurricane Ian's destruction

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've been through a hurricane and comparing to to a blizzard isn't even remotely close. The effects from hurricane damage last for weeks, months, or even years.
Fair enough. I didn't mean to imply that it is at the same level - probably why I said it isn't as destructive. The point is people are more afraid of what they don't know. We know blizzards and aren't afraid of them. Hell, a lot of midwesterners are a little stupid about tornadoes and often want to be out taking a look and getting video because "it is still a couple of miles away". We don't know hurricanes and earthquakes so we are a lot more afraid of them than people who have lived through a lot of them. With that experience of having lived through them comes a bit of comfort - sometimes ill advised comfort.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
While not as destructive we have blizzards pretty regularly and no one thinks of bugging out before one hits. We can have ice, feet of snow, gale force winds and days long power outages.

I'm sure people think we are crazy as well.
Holy bad comparison Batman! Wow, a Blizzard and a cat 4/5 hurricane are not even close in terms of life disruption. A blizzard is a an inconvenience for maybe a couple of days at worse. Ian is a life altering event.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I can honestly say in the 40 years I have lived in the Midwest, I have never had a multi day power outage. The most I can recall being out is maybe 6 or 7 hours.

When the derecho hit in 2020, we were without power for eight days in Marion/CR area. Had to track down a generator in Dubuque midway through that time.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I can honestly say in the 40 years I have lived in the Midwest, I have never had a multi day power outage. The most I can recall being out is maybe 6 or 7 hours.

You are lucky I have been in multiple days outages, even some a week plus. The worst ones in St Lou, but it has happened in Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I don’t know anybody in Florida but Mickey, thankfully.

Wasn’t landfall supposed to be tomorrow though?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think ours was 3 days. Neighbor has a massive generator and 4 houses ran electrical throughout the neighborhood to keep the fridge and freezers on. It was comical with all the cords running from houses.

We had none of that. Kiddo and I spent the days in a conference room at rev's office, and we all just sweat through the night here.
It was only a bother for the three of us, unlike the total devastation so many had. We had to spend a few seconds on a renters insurance claim and replace some groceries.

• Wow
Reactions: CyCrazy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Fair enough. I didn't mean to imply that it is at the same level - probably why I said it isn't as destructive. The point is people are more afraid of what they don't know. We know blizzards and aren't afraid of them. Hell, a lot of midwesterners are a little stupid about tornadoes and often want to be out taking a look and getting video because "it is still a couple of miles away". We don't know hurricanes and earthquakes so we are a lot more afraid of them than people who have lived through a lot of them. With that experience of having lived through them comes a bit of comfort - sometimes ill advised comfort.

We know they aren't something to be afraid of because unless youre out driving in them there's rarely any danger.

A hurricane is different. Not just wind damage and power outages but also water. The problem with hurricanes is that a ton of people have rode out hurricanes that weren't direct hits. Also there are enough hurricanes each year that if they packed up and left every time the forecast cone goes over their area they'd go bankrupt, not to mention employers expecting people to be at work even with hurricanes (and if the hurricane misses and you evacuated, they'd expect you back when you're traveling back). So people like those upthread go "did it sneak up on them?" when there's a lot of uncertainty and inability to make the move once it's clear they need to.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You are lucky I have been in multiple days outages, even some a week plus. The worst ones in St Lou, but it has happened in Ames.
It certainly happens, but most people chiming in here had it occur during the derecho which was a pretty unusual event. In my experience losing power for days due to a blizzard or severe thunderstorm isn't all that frequent or widespread, at least for people in the cities.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It certainly happens, but most people chiming in here had it occur during the derecho which was a pretty unusual event. In my experience losing power for days due to a blizzard or severe thunderstorm isn't all that frequent or widespread, at least for people in the cities.
Didn't have power for a week during derecho. Didn't have water when Ames flooded in 10. Not having water really really sucked. Luckily the Red Cross had a really nice semi in a church lot that had plenty.

Reactions: NWICY

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Why are they there? She said that's from the second floor. They better hope the water doesn't rise any higher or they are going to be in a lot of trouble.
The person who posted is not there. Her mom is there though…didn’t want to evacuate to a home deemed less safe (apparently this house has impact windows and storm shutters, whereas the person posting…the homeowner’s daughter…lives further inland but does not have those storm mitigating items).

If you have Twitter (anyone…not just you @NorthCyd. I’m not trying to be a **** here), click on the tweet and read the comments. The poster explains the situation. Also, you’ll see all of the news outlets reaching out to her asking permission to use the photos. Pretty gross.