Hunter Dekkers Concerns?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
A poster somewhat alluded to it earlier in the thread. Very rarely did Purdy have a one-off interception that seemed to be inconsequential; Purdy's turnovers seemed to occur in bunches, or a SC Not Top Ten highlight (TCU 2020 and Clemson 2021).

It would be interesting to see how many games Purdy only had 1 turnover? Again, it seemed he either never the turned the ball over, or it was multiple times in a game. I think the multiple turnovers in a game inflated the turnover prone talk.

Interceptions
3 INT - OSU '19, BU '20, CCG '20, UI '21
2 INT - KSU '18, WSU '18, TTU '21
1 INT - 15 games
0 INT - 25 games (not counting spot duty vs Akron '18)

Lost Fumbles
TTU '18, Drake '18
UNI '19, UI '19, ULM '19*, BU '19*, ND '19
TCU '20, OU '20
UNLV '21, OU '21*
*also had 1 INT

Total Turnovers
3 - 4 games (1-3)
2 - 6 games (2-4)
0 or 1 - 37 games (27-10)

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
For some reason fans have a very bad memory when it comes to Brock Purdy. They see him as a flashy guy who was just as likely to make a spectacular play as a terrible one. In reality, he was the most consistent, dependable QB we've ever had. If anything that reality describes Seneca, who I also love.

He was incredibly accurate, put up points, and despite what many fans think, took care of the ball. Somehow I get the feeling the winningest QB and the guy that has every passing record is underappreciated by the fan base and it's a shame.
I’ve been saying this since last season, but people are going to quickly learn this year how much Brock did for this team. And that’s not a shot at Hunter. It’s just to show how important Brock was. Yes, physically Hunter has more talent, probably. But Brock was the soul of the team and I don’t think people realize how important that is. We’re REALLY going to be struggling with our identity and who our offensive leaders are with Brock, Breece and Charlie gone.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I’ve been saying this since last season, but people are going to quickly learn this year how much Brock did for this team. And that’s not a shot at Hunter. It’s just to show how important Brock was. Yes, physically Hunter has more talent, probably. But Brock was the soul of the team and I don’t think people realize how important that is. We’re REALLY going to be struggling with our identity and who our offensive leaders are with Brock, Breece and Charlie gone.
Agree. That said, if anyone out there can (re-)build an identity and maintain a culture, it's Campbell. It just might take a few games to settle in, which we're already used to anyway.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Brock Purdy was a great QB. Had a few bad high turnover games. But so many games where he had none or one.

Dekkers has talent. One of the reasons Xavier Hutchinson returned IMO was because of Dekkers potential. Soon we find out.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Brock Purdy was a great QB. Had a few bad high turnover games. But so many games where he had none or one.

Dekkers has talent. One of the reasons Xavier Hutchinson returned IMO was because of Dekkers potential. Soon we find out.

I'm curious to see if we start seeing Wilson and Shaw getting more shots downfield.

• Love
Reactions: Statefan10

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

I assume there were people telling him he’d be better off on the next draft class for the position. But I’m sure if he didn’t feel Hunter could help him showcase his abilities, he would have either gone elsewhere or declared for the draft anyway.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Here's my hot take, we will be even more conservative than last year in the iowa game. We almost doubled their yards. When we did try to open up purdy made some bad throws/great plays by their d backs. Our all American stud hall also threw them the ball at about the 15 so **** happens. I think if we hadn't went for some down field throws early we are in that game at the end. Don't know much about iowa but I assume their d will be tough again. Go cyclones, go dekkers.
Don’t agree! I think he is getting tired of getting beat by the hawks! Let it rip every Saturday you only got 12 games so play your playbook every Saturday!

Reactions: exCYtable

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I’ve seen this before. A lot of Chiefs fans couldn’t believe the Chiefs traded Alex Smith because they had a more talented QB in Mahomes who only started one game with a bunch of backups when the playoffs were locked up.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I’ve seen this before. A lot of Chiefs fans couldn’t believe the Chiefs traded Alex Smith because they had a more talented QB in Mahomes who only started one game with a bunch of backups when the playoffs were locked up.
Sure maybe. But in Iowa State context, I tend to more often see people pine for the backup quarterback all season long every season. I’m sure by the 3rd game people will be doing the same with Dekkers, because that’s just what isu fans do.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Sure maybe. But in Iowa State context, I tend to more often see people pine for the backup quarterback all season long every season. I’m sure by the 3rd game people will be doing the same with Dekkers, because that’s just what isu fans do.
There are some of those idiot fans in every fanbase. Cyclone fans have no corner on that market.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

We’ve also had a lot of mediocre QBs relative to peers so everybody always hoped the next guy up was better. Even some of our good all timers really aren’t great comparative to many other programs so it skews things in the moment.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Has that happened in the CMC era? I know there were some talks after the Iowa game, where Purdy got benched and Dekkers out performed him… but are there any other examples under CMC?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I don't know what fans will do with Dekkers unless his back up gets some time and little flashes mean he's the real deal.

There are plenty on CF who spent lots of Purdy's career asking where the 2018 Okie State Purdy went without seeming to think about stuff like scouting and prep.

And 'pants, when did you get back?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I don't know what fans will do with Dekkers unless his back up gets some time and little flashes mean he's the real deal.

There are plenty on CF who spent lots of Purdy's career asking where the 2018 Okie State Purdy went without seeming to think about stuff like scouting and prep.

And 'pants, when did you get back?
I’ve always been here. My account is just throttled so it makes posting really hard. Maybe Jeremy can help a brother out gere (I can’t tag Jeremy because I’m throttled).

• Informative
Reactions: madguy30