Hunter Dekkers Concerns?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think CMC "gets" this rivalry. Coming from Ohio, he certainly understands the intensity of college football in the Midwest.

My take on that game during this mini losing streak is simple: September Cyclone Syndrome (SCS).

We've shot ourselves in the foot in these most recent losses, making critical/dumb mistakes early and in crunch time.

Credit Iowa for taking full advantage of our blunders. But I think we get the W this year in IC.

Love CMC but it’s part of a larger issue we have with a lack of kill mentality. When you play conservative too much or lack the desire to extend leads, you’re playing with fire too much.

Just because he’s done great things doesn’t mean he’s above some fair criticism.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I think CMC "gets" this rivalry. Coming from Ohio, he certainly understands the intensity of college football in the Midwest.

My take on that game during this mini losing streak is simple: September Cyclone Syndrome (SCS).

We've shot ourselves in the foot in these most recent losses, making critical/dumb mistakes early and in crunch time.

Credit Iowa for taking full advantage of our blunders. But I think we get the W this year in IC.
Special teams had been a huge issue in September. Cost is the Louisiana game and about 3 of the Iowa games

troutslayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2011
Love CMC but it’s part of a larger issue we have with a lack of kill mentality. When you play conservative too much or lack the desire to extend leads, you’re playing with fire too much.

Just because he’s done great things doesn’t mean he’s above some fair criticism.
Reminds me of someone but I can't out my finger on it

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
Here's my hot take, we will be even more conservative than last year in the iowa game. We almost doubled their yards. When we did try to open up purdy made some bad throws/great plays by their d backs. Our all American stud hall also threw them the ball at about the 15 so **** happens. I think if we hadn't went for some down field throws early we are in that game at the end. Don't know much about iowa but I assume their d will be tough again. Go cyclones, go dekkers.

Reactions: NWICY

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
We were only up 3 when we threw the pick. We were up 10 with 6:18 left, but an Iowa receiver made a huge catch in the endzone to cut it to 3. On our next drive, Park hit Butler on a 75 yard bomb, he got behind the Iowa D and there was no way they were going to catch him. So we went up 7 with 4:36 left in the game. I can't believe we blew a 10 point lead with that little time left. Our D held and we got the ball back with a 7 point lead and 3:32 left. I think all we needed was a first down and this game was pretty much over. We made hay that day by attacking the Iowa D, but on this possession we went conservative to protect the lead. We pinned them back on their own 12 yard line with a punt. On Iowa's possession Vanderberg got away with a huge offensive PI but the Big 10 refs didn't call it. Anyway, the last 4 minutes of this game are excruciating.

I remember going crazy on the last Butler TD but also thinking we scored too quickly. We had been carving up their D all game, and we could've used a few first downs with Montgomery. We did absolutely everything wrong the last 5 minutes and caught a couple bad breaks.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Here's my hot take, we will be even more conservative than last year in the iowa game. We almost doubled their yards. When we did try to open up purdy made some bad throws/great plays by their d backs. Our all American stud hall also threw them the ball at about the 15 so **** happens. I think if we hadn't went for some down field throws early we are in that game at the end. Don't know much about iowa but I assume their d will be tough again. Go cyclones, go dekkers.

The 15?! It was the freakin' goal line. The ball at the 15 would've been luxurious for our offense in this series lately. So frustrating to see their punter and kicker play flawlessly against us. Granted, they're good against everyone, but they've been especially good against us. Surely they will run out of All-American kickers this year?

Anyways, I'm excited for Dekkers, but I won't believe it until I see how he performs at Iowa.

Reactions: NWICY

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020

Silly. We don’t lack a “kill mentality”. We lack the ability to “kill” other P5 teams because they have similar talent to us and they practice all week too. We’re not going to kill anybody but SEMO because we can’t. They aren’t going to kill us either because they can’t. It’s called parity.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They fking ruined two Game Day home games. We owe them big. Lets hope Dekkers can make them pay.

I wonder if culturally if our program has the right mindset for this game? After Dan got us going, we either beat Iowa or played them tough. Dan went 6-3 against them in his last 9 years and lost close ones against them in 2004 and 2006. Even in losses we even ran the ball agains them under McCarney. He had our guys come out and play with their hair on fire, you could see it and feel it. Even Pauls teams were pretty much ready for Iowa after his first couple of years. But Paul and Dan are Iowa guys, I think they get the rivalry on a different level than possibly CMC. Kirk struggled with this rivalry, he was accused of not caring about it and focusing on the Big 10 by his fans much like CMC. After 2014, the Iowa staff put a major emphasis on this game (Iowa fans won't admit this). They have been super focused and ready to play. That is evident in that they. haven't. made any mistakes, no turnovers and no special teams gaffs. We on the other hand have had plenty of turnovers and special teams fk ups during this losing streak.

Most wins against Iowa have been when the teams were even or Iowa was bad/overrated. 2002 being the exception as ISU imploded.

Iowa has had good to very good teams during the CMC era and against good teams you can't flinch especially if they're not making mistakes.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I remember going crazy on the last Butler TD but also thinking we scored too quickly. We had been carving up their D all game, and we could've used a few first downs with Montgomery. We did absolutely everything wrong the last 5 minutes and caught a couple bad breaks.
our kick returns were bad in that game too, every time Iowa kicked it in the second half, we couldn't even get it to the 20 yard line. Special teams have been atrocious in this series under Campbell.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Special teams had been a huge issue in September. Cost is the Louisiana game and about 3 of the Iowa games
It sure did. The September execution issues have been maddening.

I think last year was the most frustrating because of what we all thought a fast start could've meant for that team going forward.

Then October rolls around and those issues seem to get fixed. It's very odd.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL

It's fair to criticize. I just don't think the Iowa losing streak though, is because CMC isn't emphasizing it's importance.

IMO, it's a symptom of our larger September execution issues, which is also partly on the coaching staff.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
It's fair to criticize. I just don't think the Iowa losing streak though, is because CMC isn't emphasizing it's importance.

IMO, it's a symptom of our larger September execution issues, which is also partly on the coaching staff.
I would love to see the delay of game calls, or timeouts burnt after big plays when we can't get lined up shored up.

Don't know if that's Manning, Purdy, Campbell, or an overall communication/strategic executive decision-making, but that's been my biggest concern that has seemed to be a consistent issue.

Ultimately, that's a splitting hairs gripe, but it's also wholly within the realm of things this staff preaches about, so would love to see it improve.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

BigD

Mar 12, 2014

September this year is the key. I'm on record stating we'll go 4-0 (SE Mo, at Iowa, Ohio & Baylor). We do that and we're looking at a monster season. The only game we won't be favored is at Iowa but I'll be there cheering on our boys and I think that swings things back in our favor.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009

I feel like the plan has been to out Iowa Iowa and that’s not going to happen.

It’s also the way CMC approaches pretty much every game though, and it generally works.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Silly. We don’t lack a “kill mentality”. We lack the ability to “kill” other P5 teams because they have similar talent to us and they practice all week too. We’re not going to kill anybody but SEMO because we can’t. They aren’t going to kill us either because they can’t. It’s called parity.
Totally disagree. We play down to competition. You can't play scared as a coordinator.

Reactions: Jer

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
our kick returns were bad in that game too, every time Iowa kicked it in the second half, we couldn't even get it to the 20 yard line. Special teams have been atrocious in this series under Campbell.

Series? Other than Mevis (and Kene) they've been mostly atrocious regardless of the opponent.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Totally disagree. We play down to competition. You can't play scared as a coordinator.

Sometimes talent has been the problem but far too often that wasn't the case. Special teams are a facet any given team, regardless of conference, can excel in. Too many of our losses have been due (or largely due) to being a joke on special teams.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I would love to see the delay of game calls, or timeouts burnt after big plays when we can't get lined up shored up.

Don't know if that's Manning, Purdy, Campbell, or an overall communication/strategic executive decision-making, but that's been my biggest concern that has seemed to be a consistent issue.

Ultimately, that's a splitting hairs gripe, but it's also wholly within the realm of things this staff preaches about, so would love to see it improve.
I heard from some football buddies that Purdy’s cadence was weird and caused a ton of false starts. That’s not me saying every false start was Brock’s fault, I just was told there were a lot of times he was at fault and us fans would have no idea.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Agree. Maybe it isn’t THE primary area to improve, but that type of thing happens enough to notice.

By extension, when it’s 3rd and a foot (or 4th), burning clock at the line, having to waste a timeout, then come back with predictable or weak play call.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Defenses have also learned how to game the "substitution opportunity" rule to the point that offenses are being forced to burn TOs or take delay penalties.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron