Hilton's Floor Shaking

Ben4Cy

Aug 28, 2016
This time doesn't compare to the ones previously mentioned

I remember being at the Virginia game in 2004 (?) when Stinson got that steal and chucked it behind his head Blalock who went behind the back to Clark for a massive dunk. That was one of my first 5 games at Hilton and it was the first time I heard it roar in person.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
"If this was the NBA that would be an offensive foul."

LOL...my how the times have changed.

It was quoted by a couple of players on both teams that the floor was shaking at the end of this game:

EDIT: Sorry I'm late. I couldn't resist watching it again when I found it.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

I remember being at the Virginia game in 2004 (?) when Stinson got that steal and chucked it behind his head Blalock who went behind the back to Clark for a massive dunk. That was one of my first 5 games at Hilton and it was the first time I heard it roar in person.
That was my first game as a student. I lost my **** when that dunk happened.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Was at the Iowa game, it was pretty dang loud. Can confirm.

The only other time I personally have heard it close to that loud was the big OU comeback, and the 5 minutes or so after Naz hit that last second 3 to tie Okie State. Everyone was absolutely going bonkers then.
Weren't there posters at C Y Stephens at an event who said they could hear the Hilton crowd at that moment?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Don't think any game will top OU down 20 2nd half for consistently loud.
That was a crazy crescendo of crowd noice. Slow at first trying to get everyone back into, building to a point where it was quiet when Iowa St was on offense, but loud when they needed a stop, then an eruption when they would get a three in transition.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
"If this was the NBA that would be an offensive foul."

LOL...my how the times have changed.
All I can think of whenever I see and hear that is that it was an offensive foul in NCAA but not when the big dogs were playing in Hilton. I'll never forget watching Anthony Peeler (Misery) jump again and again into stationary defenders and make 20 free throws on his way to 42 points.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I was on the floor for that 2013 game and having grown up going to ISU games, including being a student during the Fizer years and being a season ticket holder ever since; I can say confidently that was by far the loudest I can remember Hilton. Ever.

The only way I can attempt to explain it is by saying you could feel the air "vibrating" as he was shooting those FTs. Insane.

Last edited:

JarLar

Mar 6, 2016
Ames
I was first row student section during this year's Baylor game, can confirm that the floor/lowest level shakes.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
There are several game clips I never tire of watching. Both the 1992 OSU and the 22-0 comeback against OU are high on the list.

The little girl who sits in front of us told me at halftime that HER Cyclones were going to win. :)

When Cousins mouthed off and they slapped OUR floor...it was like a switch flipped. It was amazing...and amazingly loud. Not quite as immediately intense as the Iowa game w/Gesell, but definitely more sustained volume.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
I believe the loudest moment was Stinson to Blalock to Clark against Pete Guillen's Virginia. I remember leaning over to SCREAM something to Dad and he just shrugged as if to say "No idea what you said."

Fast forward to 6:40. That crowd was BANANAS

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames

I remember Virginia called a timeout right after to quiet the crowd but it did not work. The noise didn't stop.

• Agree
Reactions: Malone

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I've been at every game for the last 8 years, plus maybe 5 a year in the prior 10 years.

There's definitely a different feeling between an eruption after a big shot compared to a constant yelling/screaming like during the Gesell free throws. The eruptions are definitely louder but the noise during those free throws was pure magic. I was yelling as loud as I could and I couldn't even hear myself. That's how loud it was.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I believe the loudest moment was Stinson to Blalock to Clark against Pete Guillen's Virginia. I remember leaning over to SCREAM something to Dad and he just shrugged as if to say "No idea what you said."

Fast forward to 6:40. That crowd was BANANAS

I just watched it at work with no sound and I got goosebumps. Freakin AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I don't know what the loudest but the funniest was when Steve Stipanovich shot himself in the leg in his apartment. He claimed it was a masked intruder in cowboy boots and a flannel shirt who shot him while screaming obscentities about basketball players. He fessed up the next day. Every time he came out of the game cap guns fired all over the place. It was magic!

HogueNation

Nov 15, 2016
Maybe I'm just thin skinned but I needed the goosebumps these videos and comments from others at these games are giving me!

Reactions: SCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron