Hilton's Floor Shaking

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by HogueNation, May 18, 2017 at 1:22 PM.

1. cyfamily

cyfamily Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Hilton makes me smile.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    It is. But you'd think whoever scripted it would realize how it dropped the crowd intensity down every single time...

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Cypwr

Cypwr Active Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Amekeny
    It was loud 20 minutes before tip off that day, luckily my seat was behind the Iowa bench in the student section. I have been going to games since 1982 and I still think it was louder back in the 80's for several reasons. Johnny Orr encouraged the crowd unlike many coaches that followed. ISU fans had a chip on their shoulder not getting the respect from the media that the team may have or may not have deserved (Remember Iowa was in the Final 4 in 1980) The biggest reason the crowds were louder was the average age of the crowd was a lot younger back than. The big money was not yet needed to get a good seat and ISU basketball was the new "it" thing in central Iowa. It seems that the student section was larger back than too and everybody seemed to show up better even for the lesser games (Granted it is hard to tell on this one because the student tickets were split with 4 rotating seats)

4. NWICY

NWICY Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Took my niece to the 2015 game. Afterwards she said " I didn't know it could be so loud you can't hear yourself scream." By the way guess where she's going to school in 3 more years:D.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    I think the Okie State game is the winner but don't overlook January 14, 1984.

6. igraves679

igraves679 Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Male
    Not sure if it's been brought up, But it was the Naz's buzzer beater game against okie state the deandre Kane year. When the Clones were down 2 and forte went to the line, it was earthquake in Hilton, and luckily he missed the second and Naz hit the three, and we went on to win. The best sports environment in the country IMO(obviously I'm biased)

7. CycloneBBFan

CycloneBBFan Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    Oklahoma vs Iowa State: The floors shook, the walls shook, and the ceiling shook. After a depressing first half, the fuse was lit. Within two minutes of the second half the crowd exploded. The comeback kids strike again. We all have our favorites but this one I'll remember forever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. CyGuy5

CyGuy5 Active Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Male
    I don't go to a lot of basketball games, but the loudest booing I have ever heard was the Kansas game (2012 I think) when we got screwed

9. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    I'm not sure how not having time for announcements and sponsor stuff proves that they aren't scripted. Are you saying you know for a fact they aren't? Because a schedule that just has a particular band song listed for a 30 second timeout is still scripted. Scripted doesn't have to mean that there is text to be read.

10. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    The short answer is yes.

The long answer is anything during a :30 TO is on the fly, reactionary mostly to who called the timeout. You can't say ahead of time that we will do X at the first :30 and Y at the second :30, because you don't know who is going to call those timeouts or when (or why).

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. NWICY

NWICY Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Owned season tickets ever since. Went to that game on a borrowed ticket that a friend wasn't using. Sealed the deal for me student season tickets for the rest of my time, then season tickets ever since graduation. Funny how 1 game can make a person a fan for life.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bozclone

bozclone Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    Engr
    Indiana
    I agree with this. I was in the 6th row behind the basket closest to the home bench. Jeff Grayer could not hear his name announced over the PA during introductions. Then things got crazy. Lafester just went off.

So many great games and so may great memories. The Iowa, Kansas, and Oklahoma games are always great. I was at the cap gun game someone mentioned earlier when I was a kid. Similarly, I was at a game as a kid when Scott Skiles from Michigan St. came to Hilton. He had just been busted for drugs. The student section yelled Jailbird the entire game every time he touch the ball.

The Magic is real!

• Like Like x 1
  13. nfrine

nfrine Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    The shaking floor at the 2013 Iowa game was caused by Gessell's knees knocking together, not the crowd. ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Trying to find a damn job
    Amesterdam
    Thank you!! I was the "Hilton Czar" for the 2015 OU game and about 10 others that year, and I cut up a couple of the "Hot Timeout" songs myself for maximum crowd friendliness.

• Like Like x 4
  15. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Amesterdam
    Specific Songs aren't prescripted except for promotions or those fan games (Sumo sandwich etc.), there will be set times for the band as well. There is a general game script though, with all of Gary's reads and for each media TO.

• Informative Informative x 3
  16. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Amesterdam
    Truth, I (Music guy/Marketing intern) would have the game director (Up by the TV cameras) in my ear on the headset and I would be speaking to Gary on my left, I would decide on a "Hot Timeout" song out of about 3/4 we had cued up on the software and then when the hot TO came we just hit the music as soon as play was stopped.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. mkadl

mkadl Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cornfield
    I don't think it is as loud as it used to be. All of those banners absorb the noise.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
  18. istater7

istater7 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Surprised nobody has said anything about the 2015 Iowa game, but there were a few times I felt like I could've passed out in every 2nd half. And prior to tip was insane.

19. Playboi Carti

Playboi Carti New Member

May 7, 2017
    Male
    That game was insane. Probably the best game I've seen live. I remember being so pissed at half time, I really wanted to leave but thankfully I stayed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. DandyCyclone

DandyCyclone Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Future CF Mod
    Western Iowa
    I thought I read on here that the game-tying buzzer beater by Naz against OSU could be heard in CY Stephens.