Hilton's Floor Shaking

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My understanding is that it is all prescripted. Each timeout (first full, second full, first 30 second, second 30 second, etc.) is scripted with a particular band song or a canned song or other announcement/crowd participation followed by band or canned music. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

There is nothing to say that even if they do something that takes the crowd down a notch people can't work to intentionally crank it back up before play begins again.
It is. But you'd think whoever scripted it would realize how it dropped the crowd intensity down every single time...

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
During the intros, Gary Wade had to start over on the ISU lineup because the players couldn't hear him over the crowd.

It was loud 20 minutes before tip off that day, luckily my seat was behind the Iowa bench in the student section. I have been going to games since 1982 and I still think it was louder back in the 80's for several reasons. Johnny Orr encouraged the crowd unlike many coaches that followed. ISU fans had a chip on their shoulder not getting the respect from the media that the team may have or may not have deserved (Remember Iowa was in the Final 4 in 1980) The biggest reason the crowds were louder was the average age of the crowd was a lot younger back than. The big money was not yet needed to get a good seat and ISU basketball was the new "it" thing in central Iowa. It seems that the student section was larger back than too and everybody seemed to show up better even for the lesser games (Granted it is hard to tell on this one because the student tickets were split with 4 rotating seats)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Iowa game sounded more like relief than anything.

Games like that OSU game were insanity at its finest.

I thought it looked pretty crazy in 2015 when ISU came back to beat OU after getting whooped in the first half.

Took my niece to the 2015 game. Afterwards she said " I didn't know it could be so loud you can't hear yourself scream." By the way guess where she's going to school in 3 more years:D.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I think the Okie State game is the winner but don't overlook January 14, 1984.

igraves679

Aug 9, 2016
Not sure if it's been brought up, But it was the Naz's buzzer beater game against okie state the deandre Kane year. When the Clones were down 2 and forte went to the line, it was earthquake in Hilton, and luckily he missed the second and Naz hit the three, and we went on to win. The best sports environment in the country IMO(obviously I'm biased)

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Oklahoma vs Iowa State: The floors shook, the walls shook, and the ceiling shook. After a depressing first half, the fuse was lit. Within two minutes of the second half the crowd exploded. The comeback kids strike again. We all have our favorites but this one I'll remember forever.

• Friendly
Reactions: BigM and NWICY

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I don't go to a lot of basketball games, but the loudest booing I have ever heard was the Kansas game (2012 I think) when we got screwed

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Media (full) timeouts are scripted. :30 timeouts are not -- there's no time for announcements/sponsor stuff.
I'm not sure how not having time for announcements and sponsor stuff proves that they aren't scripted. Are you saying you know for a fact they aren't? Because a schedule that just has a particular band song listed for a 30 second timeout is still scripted. Scripted doesn't have to mean that there is text to be read.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I'm not sure how not having time for announcements and sponsor stuff proves that they aren't scripted. Are you saying you know for a fact they aren't? Because a schedule that just has a particular band song listed for a 30 second timeout is still scripted. Scripted doesn't have to mean that there is text to be read.

The short answer is yes.

The long answer is anything during a :30 TO is on the fly, reactionary mostly to who called the timeout. You can't say ahead of time that we will do X at the first :30 and Y at the second :30, because you don't know who is going to call those timeouts or when (or why).

• Winner
Reactions: BigM

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
REALLY old school fans will say 1983 when the great Barry Stevens hit his game winner versus Missouri. Arguably the moment Hilton Magic was born.

Owned season tickets ever since. Went to that game on a borrowed ticket that a friend wasn't using. Sealed the deal for me student season tickets for the rest of my time, then season tickets ever since graduation. Funny how 1 game can make a person a fan for life.

Reactions: bozclone and Cypwr

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
And personally, I would go with the Lafester game. That was completely bonkers the whole night.

During the intros, Gary Wade had to start over on the ISU lineup because the players couldn't hear him over the crowd.

I agree with this. I was in the 6th row behind the basket closest to the home bench. Jeff Grayer could not hear his name announced over the PA during introductions. Then things got crazy. Lafester just went off.

So many great games and so may great memories. The Iowa, Kansas, and Oklahoma games are always great. I was at the cap gun game someone mentioned earlier when I was a kid. Similarly, I was at a game as a kid when Scott Skiles from Michigan St. came to Hilton. He had just been busted for drugs. The student section yelled Jailbird the entire game every time he touch the ball.

The Magic is real!

Reactions: NWICY

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
Some of my favorite moments are when the crowd takes over and the Hilton czar has to just let it happen.

Some of my least favorite moments are when the crowd is roaring into a timeout called by the other team to stop momentum and the Hilton czar helps him by playing some stupid Jock Jams song.

I love reading and watching these great Hilton moments. Sounds like a summer podcast idea for CW and Blum.
Thank you!! I was the "Hilton Czar" for the 2015 OU game and about 10 others that year, and I cut up a couple of the "Hot Timeout" songs myself for maximum crowd friendliness.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
My understanding is that it is all prescripted. Each timeout (first full, second full, first 30 second, second 30 second, etc.) is scripted with a particular band song or a canned song or other announcement/crowd participation followed by band or canned music. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

There is nothing to say that even if they do something that takes the crowd down a notch people can't work to intentionally crank it back up before play begins again.

Specific Songs aren't prescripted except for promotions or those fan games (Sumo sandwich etc.), there will be set times for the band as well. There is a general game script though, with all of Gary's reads and for each media TO.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
The short answer is yes.

The long answer is anything during a :30 TO is on the fly, reactionary mostly to who called the timeout. You can't say ahead of time that we will do X at the first :30 and Y at the second :30, because you don't know who is going to call those timeouts or when (or why).
Truth, I (Music guy/Marketing intern) would have the game director (Up by the TV cameras) in my ear on the headset and I would be speaking to Gary on my left, I would decide on a "Hot Timeout" song out of about 3/4 we had cued up on the software and then when the hot TO came we just hit the music as soon as play was stopped.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Surprised nobody has said anything about the 2015 Iowa game, but there were a few times I felt like I could've passed out in every 2nd half. And prior to tip was insane.

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Oklahoma vs Iowa State: The floors shook, the walls shook, and the ceiling shook. After a depressing first half, the fuse was lit. Within two minutes of the second half the crowd exploded. The comeback kids strike again. We all have our favorites but this one I'll remember forever.

That game was insane. Probably the best game I've seen live. I remember being so pissed at half time, I really wanted to leave but thankfully I stayed.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I thought I read on here that the game-tying buzzer beater by Naz against OSU could be heard in CY Stephens.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron