Hillsides in JTS

What do you want to do with the Hillsides?

• Keep them - They are a huge part of the "Family Atmosphere" of JTS

Votes: 97 35.5%
  • Get rid of them - They make JTS look like a HS stadium

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 75 27.5%

• Total voters

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
In the context of spending $65-$80 million literally in the NEZ area, it is an egregious mistake to not get rid of them.

Why would it be an egregious mistake to not get rid of them?

My only thought would be spending the money and then just getting rid of them later would be a waste, but if you can integrate them into the stadium, I don't think the effect would be THAT terrible.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I bet they get somewhat terraced to provide better "seating" and sight lines. Maybe put down a non-grass surface??

When I read JP's comments my initial thought was that they would terrace the hillsides and maybe even put in steps to make it more efficient/safe for people to get up and down. What ever they end up doing I can guarantee that future expansion will be kept in mind but right now adding more seats doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
When I read JP's comments my initial thought was that they would terrace the hillsides and maybe even put in steps to make it more efficient/safe for people to get up and down. What ever they end up doing I can guarantee that future expansion will be kept in mind but right now adding more seats doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I think there is a contingent of fans who want the highest seating capacity possible, kids seating be damned. But I'm hoping, even if they ever did remove the hills completely, that they'd still have some family friendly options.

I don't think having two sections dedicated to family seating, grass or not, hurts our total capacity all that much. The stadium will still look "big time" in my opinion.

I know that JTS, back when there were just bleachers in the south and a tiny scoreboard above that, looked pretty bad, but having these small sections doesn't make it a high school stadium.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

A la West Virginia?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I feel like the upper deck seating should be extended over the hillsides, it will increase the seating capacity while also keeping the hillsides and giving some cover in case it does rain.

Upper deck will cut the wind as well. Pollard has a plan.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
So I Google mapped the stadium just to get an idea of what could be done...it's pretty cool because they snapped the shot right before a game (or at halftime) and the hillsides are almost completely full, so I don't know why you'd want to get rid of that option. As someone mentioned, it's unique and distinctly Iowan.

Also noticed that if they want to extend the concourse around that end they're going to have to modify the current buildings...which for the price tag they're saying makes sense.

It would be cool if they built a tunnel through the new/modified structure/ structures. Maybe have a glass tunnel with a tribute to Jack Trice (or mini-mueseum) that fans could see and maybe a history of ISU football display. Although you'd have to do it in a way that didn't cause congestion.

Reactions: stateofmind

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
So I Google mapped the stadium just to get an idea of what could be done...it's pretty cool because they snapped the shot right before a game (or at halftime) and the hillsides are almost completely full, so I don't know why you'd want to get rid of that option. As someone mentioned, it's unique and distinctly Iowan.

Also noticed that if they want to extend the concourse around that end they're going to have to modify the current buildings...which for the price tag they're saying makes sense.

It would be cool if they built a tunnel through the new/modified structure/ structures. Maybe have a glass tunnel with a tribute to Jack Trice (or mini-mueseum) that fans could see and maybe a history of ISU football display. Although you'd have to do it in a way that didn't cause congestion.

I don't know about "distinctly Iowan." Right off the top of my head I know Texas Tech, Missouri, Clemson, Baylor, & the old Colorado State stadium have optional grass seating areas.

I actually put a ruler up to my computer screen on satellite view and am rather certain a connection deck can encircle the Jacobson building on the north end at the exact same distance that the south connection deck encircles Sukup. I'd be rather surprised if they alter the Jacobson building on the east & west sides in any way. They'll need to clip the corners off of the paper airplane as the concourse would be right at roof level. The protruding middle deck on the south side of the Jacobson building will probably be removed so the band has one connected set of bleachers. I also suspect the visitors locker room will be moved the bottom level of the southeast corner of the Jacobson building and they will enter/exit underneath or behind the band bleachers.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think there is a contingent of fans who want the highest seating capacity possible, kids seating be damned. But I'm hoping, even if they ever did remove the hills completely, that they'd still have some family friendly options.

I don't think having two sections dedicated to family seating, grass or not, hurts our total capacity all that much. The stadium will still look "big time" in my opinion.

I know that JTS, back when there were just bleachers in the south and a tiny scoreboard above that, looked pretty bad, but having these small sections doesn't make it a high school stadium.

What don't you agree with @FinalFourCy ?

Just curious.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
On one hand, i understand why people have a love for the hillsides, often rooted in nostalgia. And there is a benefit in providing a family-budget-friendly option.

That being said, a lot of what is good about the hillsides disappears when the attendance is high enough that its a muddy, standing room only mess.

• Agree
Reactions: SC Cy and aauummm

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I'd like them to include some sort of family area - whether it's in format of the current hillsides, or something new, I don't mind. But a dedicated area for kids to play while their parents can still enjoy the game would be greatly appreciated.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
What don't you agree with @FinalFourCy ?

Just curious.
It’s not about wanting the highest seating capacity possible.

Spending that much, including spending a lot on the NEZ, but keeping the grass because of nostalgia is a mistake. Decisions should never be based on that, or antiquated business models such as enticing parents to spend $5 to watch bad football with the option that their kids could be occupied catch on the hillsides. The days of cheap tickets are more likely to be around with a bump in capacity.

I’m not suggesting the hillsides be converted should be a standalone project. But if you’re going to work heavily on the NEZ, including renovating or demoing the Jake and hillsides, you can have family friendly options and avoid spending Lexas money for a Kia.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Spending that much, including spending a lot on the NEZ but keeping the grass because of nostalgia is a mistake.

I’m not suggesting the hillsides be converted should be a standalone project. But if you’re going to work heavily on the NEZ, including renovating or demoing the Jake and hillsides, you can have family friendly options and avoid spending Lexas money for a Kia.

Ok, I see your point. I am hoping that they will execute their vision well enough that the hillsides will be a unique part of the stadium and not something just thrown in for nostalgia.

I'm very excited to see official renderings as I think it will look pretty cool.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Turn them into day care so parents can actually watch the game.

Kids + any event = kid's event

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I've really enjoyed the Hillsides the last few years personally. My youngest can sit on a blanket and play with a few toys while the older kids can run around and play catch if they want to or stand with us and watch.

I know some people say if they aren't going to watch then why bring them, but it's just a distraction for kids who aren't quite old enough to be laser focused on the game. And I know we wouldn't have been able to sit in real seats with the little guy and not annoy everyone around us. There's enough room between people on the hill that he can squeal and play with toys while we enjoy the game.

We actually had tickets in the upper deck for a few games and chose to sit on the hill because it's so much easier for us to do so with the kids and we can sit with our friends as well.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
On one hand, i understand why people have a love for the hillsides, often rooted in nostalgia. And there is a benefit in providing a family-budget-friendly option.

That being said, a lot of what is good about the hillsides disappears when the attendance is high enough that its a muddy, standing room only mess.

Bingo. If CMC takes this program where many of us think, the hills won't be some fun play area anyway. They will be packed with people. I'd rather have a real seat in that case, even with the kid along.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Bingo. If CMC takes this program where many of us think, the hills won't be some fun play area anyway. They will be packed with people. I'd rather have a real seat in that case, even with the kid along.
Saying you want hillsides because of room for kids playing is getting close to wanting things to stay the same, i.e. bad football that leads to most games being less than 55k.

Price points can fluctuate with the market, and if there’s success the hillsides won’t save the “family friendly” crowd from being squeezed out. There’s a better chance there’s always a price point for that demographic with a higher capacity.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Spending that much, including spending a lot on the NEZ, but keeping the grass because of nostalgia is a mistake. Decisions should never be based on that, or antiquated business models such as enticing parents spent $5 to watch bad football with the option that their kids could be occupied catch on the hillsides. The days of cheap tickets are more likely to be around with a bump in capacity.

I think you're overestimating how much of the price tag is dedicated to the stadium. I think most of the funds are being funneled towards a tricked-out student athlete center, which is definitely more important than stadium expansion at this time. As I mentioned earlier; other stadiums have grass seating areas that look like regular seating when at full capacity:

Stadium_web.jpg

And I'm sure the design will allow for permanent bleachers if demand ever calls for it. Simply knock down the Jacobson building and connect everything with aluminum bleachers like the south end.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think you're overestimating how much of the price tag is dedicated to the stadium. I think most of the funds are being dedicated to a tricked-out student athlete center, which is definitely more important than stadium expansion at this time. As I mentioned earlier; other stadiums have grass seating areas that look like regular seating when at full capacity:

Stadium_web.jpg

And I'm sure the design will allow for permanent bleachers if demand ever calls for it. Simply knock down the Jacobson building and connect everything with aluminum bleachers like the south end.
Although I’d buy JP has a good portion earmarked for non-revenue sports thus bumping up that number well past the SEZ, I think you’re overestimating how much extra finishing the NEZ would be if you’re already building a $80 dollar facility basically in the NEZ.