Hillsides in JTS

What do you want to do with the Hillsides?

• Keep them - They are a huge part of the "Family Atmosphere" of JTS

Votes: 97 35.5%
  • Get rid of them - They make JTS look like a HS stadium

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 75 27.5%

• Total voters

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Although I’d buy JP has a good portion earmarked for non-revenue sports thus bumping up that number well past the SEZ, I think you’re overestimating how much extra finishing the NEZ would be if you’re already building a $80 dollar facility basically in the NEZ.

I don't know about in the NEZ. I'd bet it's just outside or connected to the NW concourse.

Is the football team getting a brand new locker room as part of this deal? If so, I'd bet it connects right to the existing tunnel.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm going to need some renderings. Where are the renderings‽‽‽

(semi-:jimlad: )
Well, if you live in Springfield you might try here:
250px-RenderingPlant.jpg

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I've really enjoyed the Hillsides the last few years personally. My youngest can sit on a blanket and play with a few toys while the older kids can run around and play catch if they want to or stand with us and watch.

I know some people say if they aren't going to watch then why bring them, but it's just a distraction for kids who aren't quite old enough to be laser focused on the game. And I know we wouldn't have been able to sit in real seats with the little guy and not annoy everyone around us. There's enough room between people on the hill that he can squeal and play with toys while we enjoy the game.

We actually had tickets in the upper deck for a few games and chose to sit on the hill because it's so much easier for us to do so with the kids and we can sit with our friends as well.

Yeah, I don't know that people without kids understand this. You've put your kids in daycare all week. Then you're going to park them there or get a babysitter for 5 hours on Saturday afternoon? It just doesn't work that well. And if you are in the regular, crowded seats, kids get bored and end up annoying everyone else. Next thing you know, you're leaving at halftime. It's nice to have the hillsides where you can let them run off some steam when they get bored yet pay attention to the game if they want to. Obviously, when kids get older (10+), it's not such a big deal.

Now, I'm all for mirroring the SEZ and putting permanent stands all the way across if ISU is selling out every game. But until we get to that point, I'm fine with leaving the hillsides as a place for families to let the kids run. I do think that they could set it up better with some retaining walls along the sidewalk ramps and potentially some permanent seating at the top of the hills.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Just my 2¢ on hillsides/kids: my boys have sat in regular seats with us since they were 2 or 3, and while they weren't perfectly behaved angels every game, I'm glad we did that now that they're 8 and 10. Both are becoming lifelong Cyclone fans, a crowning achievement for me :)

I like the hills and want them to stay in some capacity - often, after games, my boys run down to the north end of the stands, jump the wall and get in line to get high fives from players. The Spirit Walk isn't always easy for us to get to (timing, tailgating, etc.), so the hills give them some access to the players. As far as playing catch and running around, they do that while tailgating.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
How much more capacity does JTS really need? The TCU and OSU games weren’t completely full this year for a very good football team. I don’t think we need to get too worried about adding very many more seats.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
How much more capacity does JTS really need? The TCU and OSU games weren’t completely full this year for a very good football team. I don’t think we need to get too worried about adding very many more seats.

Yeah- bowling the south endzone was a terrible idea, huh? It'll never work out. We should tear it down.

It doesn't sound like the NEZ project is going to increase capacity at all, really. However- with a widened concourse, standing room and temporary bleachers may allow for another 500-1,000 spectators for big games.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Yeah- bowling the south endzone was a terrible idea, huh? It'll never work out. We should tear it down.

It doesn't sound like the NEZ project is going to increase capacity at all, really. However- with a widened concourse, standing room and temporary bleachers may allow for another 500-1,000 spectators for big games.

That isn't what he said or was alluding to, at all. But ok.

You guys are just going to have to accept the fact that no matter how much crying you do, this current project isn't about you or your insecurities about having a couple hillsides.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

You guys are just going to have to accept the fact that no matter how much crying you do, this current project isn't about you or your insecurities about having a couple hillsides.

Sorry, @istater7 - I get a little worked up whenever I hear from the anti-expansion crowd. Ignoring facility upgrades has doomed Iowa State in the past. I love the over-due attention Jack Trice is finally getting.

I'm not that upset about the hillsides anyways. Research my post history if you like.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

Order of the Bugle founding member

• Funny
Reactions: CYCLNST8

istater7

Mar 31, 2010

I was all for the south endzone expansion. I just don't think it's that realistic to think we should mirror it in the north endzone as some people are alluding to. If we can add some permanent seating and keep a little bit of grass area, I'm all for it. I just don't think we need to add a bunch of empty endzone seats.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I was all for the south endzone expansion. I just don't think it's that realistic to think we should mirror it in the north endzone as some people are alluding to. If we can add some permanent seating and keep a little bit of grass area, I'm all for it. I just don't think we need to add a bunch of empty endzone seats.
Removing the hillsides and replacing with seats wouldn’t necessarily add capacity. Plus if you’re spending that much on a structure in the NEZ, you should look forward.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Yeah- in the decades leading up to the SEZ expansion, the debate was always:

"Why bowl it in? It'd just be a bunch of empty seats." And I clearly fell on the side of, "At least it'd look like an empty COLLEGE stadium."

My hope is that eventually one day the NEZ will mirror the south end. I love symmetry. I'm sure the north concourse is being built with the flexibility to do so; but I've always been careful to include the disclaimer "when demand warrants expansion."

I think some folks got excited about the price tag and images of double decker suites started dancing in their minds, when the bulk of the funds are being directed towards the student athletic center.

The north end is being bowled in- with grass seating. Cool with me. Once the hillsides are full of people, it'll really create an enclosed atmosphere.

One thing that hasn't started to cross my mind until recently is: considering the student athletic center will essentially be sitting in the northwest corner- the design of the building could potentially feature some interesting patios and observation decks linked to the concourse. I guess it depends on how many stories they plan on building. Has that been discussed?

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
if you’re spending that much on a structure in the NEZ, you should look forward.

I'm sure they are. Installing aluminum bleachers over grass hillsides one day in the future shouldn't be much trouble.

I bet they'll basically repeat the same process they used for building the south concourse- around the Jacobson.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Plus if you’re spending that much on a structure in the NEZ, you should look forward.
Is it fair to say that they probably already are? We don't have any details to point to say we're overspending or overcommitting. Pollard extremely prudent. If they decide the hills need to be replaced down the road, the money from ISU's continued success will be there. It's not now or never.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
My hope is that eventually one day the NEZ will mirror the south end. I love symmetry.

Regardless of what's eventually done on the north end and done with the hills, copying the SEZ would make JTS look more cookie cutter than it already is imo. While the Soviet-ness of Iowa State Center is perhaps special in its own right, and JTS mostly fits in, it would be nice to keep the NEZ unique, make it something progressive if/when the hills eventually go. The overall Iowa State Center artistically (to me) represents ISU's Iowan humility and land-grant practicality, while a more contemporary NEZ (and JTS) could display ISU's innovative, progressive heart. There's a lot of ways to accomplish that, and I'm not an architect, but some simple geometric asymmetry would be a great start. Facades could be changed in older areas to help blend the old and the new, but leaving some contrast so that the effect is obvious. I think it would also make the transition from Reiman Gardens to concrete island less harsh. Perhaps this is for another thread.

TL;DR: Nothing to do with the hills, but I like asymmetrical, new age type stuff in my dream NEZ design, to add some shine to to the stadium and Iowa State Center.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Is it fair to say that they probably already are? We don't have any details to point to say we're overspending or overcommitting. Pollard extremely prudent. If they decide the hills need to be replaced down the road, the money from ISU's continued success will be there. It's not now or never.
There’s a strong chance it’ll be viewed as making the same mistake in less than 30 years. Jacobson 2.0

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Having no hillsides would decrease the number of fans at the game. Sure, you might raise more revenue, but there will be less fans. Right now, JP can sell a LOT of tickets for those hillsides.... a lot more than would fit in seats.

• Disagree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
There’s a strong chance it’ll be viewed as making the same mistake in less than 30 years. Jacobson 2.0
I think you're assuming a lot here. It's a large pricetag, sure, but don't you want to see where it's going before you declare it a mistake? Bowling the north end zone and putting in an all-in-one athletic facility don't have to be mutually exclusive.