Haliburton NBA

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
It will be without question the weakest NBA draft ever..ever.

that’s in part why TH is so high..

if TH were 6’2 with normal arm length he wouldn’t even be on scouts radar.

but he’s 6’5 ish with 7’ wingspan..

It’s gonna take TH 3-4 years imo to make impact in NBA.. Right now his ball skills aren’t even close to being nba ready.. ball handling I mean. He can’t get past his man right now a lot times. He’s an average ball handler at best imo.

he cannot create his own shot.. like at all. This alone has me surprised that he’s rated so highly..

go watch an nba game or two then come back and post how anyone thinks TH is remotely close to ready for nba..

unfortubately nba drafts in Top 30 a lot on potential which once again sucks for isu..

I watch a lot of NBA games. He doesn't need to create his own shot or play with the ball in his hands a significant amount of the time to have high value in the NBA.

NBA rosters in general are a couple guys that can create their own shot and then surround them with role players (3 and D types and bigs that can play in the pick and roll on both ends).

TH's value in the NBA is what he brings away from the ball plus ability to take care of it when the ball is in his hands. He has the length and skill set to guard multiple positions and shoots at a high level.

The NBA isn't excited about TH because they project him to be James Harden. They are excited about TH because he's a really good piece that fits around James Harden. Even if he just defends at a high level with his length and continues to shoot it like he does he has huge value.

I agree that skill set usually isn't exactly top 5, but like you said it's a weak draft. He'll contribute long before year 3-4.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
My own completely arbitrary 1-100 ranking

Overall ball handling skill:
Monte: 99
Tinsley: 97
Tyrese: 92

Ball security:
Monte: 100
Tyrese: 80
Tinsley: 65

Court vision:
Tinsley: 99
Tyrese: 97
Monte: 90

Drive and kick:
Tinsley: 95
Tyrese: 80

Creating own offense/getting to the rim:
Tinsley: 90
Tyrese: 75
Monte: 75

3pt Shooting:
Tyrese: 75
Monte: 75
Tinsley: 55

Mid range Shooting:
Tyrese: 70
Tinsley: 65

On ball defense:
Tinsley: 99 (few better when motivated but could really fall off)
Tyrese: 85

Disrupting passing lanes and blocking shots as a point guard:
Tyrese: 99
Tinsley: 95
Monte: 70

Rebounding from guard position:
Tyrese: 95
Tinsley: 80
Monte: 65

Leadership qualities:
Monte: 95
Tyrese: 90
Tinsley: 80

It boils down to a pretty tough decision, Tyrese probably is the best in the immeasurable things that can't be coached.

All three I think are incredible pick and roll point guards but it's so much more prevalent in NBA than college that I can't even rank it. Monte is as good as anybody right now setting up pick and roll. The only thing that limits his pick and roll game is his team's center is the team's starting point guard and ball handler.
To nitpick: Tinsley>> everyone else in ball handling.
Tinsley 98
Morris 85
Halliburton 75

Where Morris outshined Tinsley was in passing accuracy and decision making (and shooting).

• Agree
Reactions: Jerms and 4theCYcle

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Might be a fun, albeit next to absolute crazy rabbit hole to crawl down here, but what if Haliburton does come back next year? Is this an NCAA Tournament team WITH him next year?
I think it will be crucial to either get a transfer with high level shooting ability or for the guys on the team to really develop their 3 point shots.... Tyrese will definitely be a MUCH better facilitator with players around him that can actually consistently knock down the 3 point shot.

I think I have seen some progress from this team in that department though, Jackson and Bolton have been knocking down more 3s lately and hopefully Javan Johnson is a significant upgrade over Nixon (good lord please).

It will probably also depend on Conditt developing and being more of a force inside.... He has regressed a little lately I would say.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think he would truly benefit by coming back another year, but at the same time, I don’t see him benefiting by coming back with this current staff. Plus, his dad has already said that he’s leaving after this year.

when did his dad say that?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
My biggest fear is that we see a repeat of THT to a slightly smaller extent. That is the worst case scenario for both ISU and the players. If he goes and is selected where expected then I'm all for him living the dream.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
To nitpick: Tinsley>> everyone else in ball handling.
Tinsley 98
Morris 85
Halliburton 75

Where Morris outshined Tinsley was in passing accuracy and decision making (and shooting).

Agree. Was going to point this out. I laughed when I saw Morris ball handling above Tinsley, was like did he even watch Tinsley? lol...he ran circles around entire Colorado team 1 game. He made them look like pre-schoolers.

They all are different point guards in a way. Tinsley's driving ability and ability to break down defenses was solid. Morris had a patient knack to utilize the pick n roll very well. Loved how he improved his shooting from freshman to senior year. TH is a disruptive lengthy guy who has fantastic court vision. Although, improvements will need to be made in ball handling to create his own shot and take guys on the dribble-drive. I also would think once he adds more strength, I wonder if he'll correct his shot? The lower shoulder push shot would get blocked in the NBA more often one would think.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He won’t come back but his quote after the game Wednesday makes it pretty clear he’s hasn’t checked out yet.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Heard something on the Morning Rush today that apparently Stanz and Blum on Cyclone Insider last night talked about how this season has gone that there is a chance Haliburton doesn't want his college experience to end this way and there is a slight possibility he could decide to stay another year? Anyone happen to listen last night and comment on it? I need to go back and listen to the podcast sometime.

I used to be one of these guys that never understood what the rush is to go pro but over time my mindset has changed some. I remember back when Fizer was tearing it up we were chanting "1 more year" at the end of the last home game. ISU would have probably been preseason #1 had he came back for his senior year and being in college at the time I couldn't help to think why would you pass up a chance at a national title and probably front runner to be national player of the year when the NBA will likely be there next year and you'll still be a lotto pick. Well he was the #4 overall pick that year and over the years I now get why guys leave early because that is life changing money. If Haliburton thinks he will be a lock for a lotto pick or even top 5 or 10 pick like some site have him at I don't blame him 1 bit for jumping at the opportunity. But if in his heart he feels like he wants to stay another year and help turn this thing around I'd have all the respect in the world for him too. I think it's probably a 99.9% chance he goes pro at this point though.

Crazy how things have changed over the years because now with the G League some of these fringe guys that probably would not have declared for the draft early 20 years ago like Wigginton and THT now have an option to earn some money without having to stay in school 3 or 4 years like players used to do if they wanted a shot in the NBA. I think that has a lot to do with how this season has gone for us, Prohm almost recruited too well and now we have a vacuum from some guys leaving sooner than we anticipated originally and unlike the blueblood schools teams like Iowa State usually doesn't have another top 10 class coming in to help fill in the voids right away when you lose that many key players all at once through graduation and declaring for the draft early.

Any of this logic flies out the door when you are likely a Top 10 pick. Go get your money. It's there just sitting for you to take.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Agree. Was going to point this out. I laughed when I saw Morris ball handling above Tinsley, was like did he even watch Tinsley? lol...he ran circles around entire Colorado team 1 game. He made them look like pre-schoolers.

They all are different point guards in a way. Tinsley's driving ability and ability to break down defenses was solid. Morris had a patient knack to utilize the pick n roll very well. Loved how he improved his shooting from freshman to senior year. TH is a disruptive lengthy guy who has fantastic court vision. Although, improvements will need to be made in ball handling to create his own shot and take guys on the dribble-drive. I also would think once he adds more strength, I wonder if he'll correct his shot? The lower shoulder push shot would get blocked in the NBA more often one would think.
Tinsley steals current version of Haliburton's lunch and eats it too.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
If he is guaranteed Lottery than its a no brainer...If he's a late first rd pick then nothing will change that thiihs year or next probably...Meaning he would still be a first rd pick next year as wel
They see him with better players around him which would make him an ever better facilitator, an improved jumper, and 15 more lbs of muscle. He is a great starting PG for the NBA.

Totally disagree..Tinsley was a great starting PG..the best PG with ball in his hands in history of this program IMO.

Teams don't want to draft a kid in the Lottery and pay them Lottery money to be a "Nice compliment player" lol... They draft kids in the lottery with the thought of being a stud player one day...Some pan out..some don't.

I don't see TH game changing much...He's not aggressive offensively...is an average ball handler in college....isn't overly athletic. When we see him take the ball all the way and dunk and announcers are in ah! because he's a pg!..Yea that doesn't work in the NBA.

I don't know that fans realize just how good players are in the NBA. It has taken Monte 3+ years to work into starting and if you put (this years Monte) on this ISU team we have a lot more wins I can tell you that.

I love TH..great kid..love that he loves ISU and the fans.

I'll gladly eat row if we revive this thread in a few years and TH is lighting it up in the league...but i'm guessing I won't.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron