Gundy

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JerseyGirl

Jun 12, 2013
Central Iowa
Im sure a $1M paycut would make me humble......

I think Gundy will be judged by his actions and not the balance in his checking account. What was OSU thinking this would solve?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Gundy seems like the type that will retire early. He's got a small hobby farm, hunts, fishes, I just see him hanging it up in a few years. Honestly I'm surprised more coaches don't.

Reactions: CyBobby

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Im sure a $1M paycut would make me humble......

I think Gundy will be judged by his actions and not the balance in his checking account. What was OSU thinking this would solve?

Solve? Nothing, but does helps with their budget problem, the $$$ issue all of the school will be struggling with this season. Arizona coaches took a 20% pay cut. More schools are going to have to follow suit. Going to be interesting since coaches are fat cat CEO's of college sports and have just been getting paid more and more and more every year. We have a national recession but it may be a true depression for college sports. The CEO's of P5 shouldn't be exempt from the pain (but they will be, mostly).

BTW, I've always though Gundy was a simple minded *******. Seems like the kind of guy that would go immediately to throwdown over a door scratch in a parking lot.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Solve? Nothing, but does helps with their budget problem, the $$$ issue all of the school will be struggling with this season. Arizona coaches took a 20% pay cut. More schools are going to have to follow suit. Going to be interesting since coaches are fat cat CEO's of college sports and have just been getting paid more and more and more every year. We have a national recession but it may be a true depression for college sports. The CEO's of P5 shouldn't be exempt from the pain (but they will be, mostly).

BTW, I've always though Gundy was a simple minded *******. Seems like the kind of guy that would go immediately to throwdown over a door scratch in a parking lot.

Yeah, seems like a budget cutting measure disguised as a penalty (mostly).

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I think this is more COVID related than anything but it’ll give Okie State some good publicity

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

But I've also seen that he's willing to throw down for his players. That goes a long ways. We've seen a lot of coaches not ashamed of throwing their players under the bus. I'll take his attitude over that any day.

Reactions: arobb

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Gundy seems like the type that will retire early. He's got a small hobby farm, hunts, fishes, I just see him hanging it up in a few years. Honestly I'm surprised more coaches don't.
Probably get a regular segment on OAN too.

Reactions: Hoggins and Cyclad

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Very wise move. They were expecting budget cuts anyway. He gave in, the university gave in, the players gave in. I wish more issues could be resolved this way.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Very wise move. They were expecting budget cuts anyway. He gave in, the university gave in, the players gave in. I wish more issues could be resolved this way.
More issues resolved in a way that fundamentally nothing probably changed?

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I think this is more COVID related than anything but it’ll give Okie State some good publicity
Surprised that Okie State has money issues with all the T Boone money but I suppose they spend like the money will never run out.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Surprised that Okie State has money issues with all the T Boone money but I suppose they spend like the money will never run out.

A lot of what Boone gave to OSU got put right back into Boone's hedge funds -- which took a couple of big hits in the last decade or so before he shut them down in 2018. So OSU might not have gained a whole lot of ground on the initial donation amounts.