Friday OT - I Got A Big Backyard

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm struggling for ideas today, so this is the best I could do.

Name your ideal living situation. Are you born to be a city dweller, in a townhouse or apartment? In a medium-sized town with a house and a big backyard? Or do you want to live out in the country?

Does where you live currently match up with how you are meant to live?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think I feel my best when I visit home in Iowa on the farm that I grew up on, so that's probably the ideal living situation.

A 50 acre green space played a big part in my general lifestyle.

Reactions: Angie

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I would rather shoot myself in the face than share a wall with a neighbor ever again. Ideally somewhere just outside town where neighbors aren't too close and you have some privacy if you go outside, but still close enough to civilization to have good internet.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I never get tired of watching or sharing this video... so, my response is that I'd love for the Pacific and the redwoods to by my backyard. I don't have the patience to live in a large city and have seen enough cornfields and trees that lose their leaves in the winter. Give me a home with floor-to-ceiling windows in coastal Sonoma County any day.

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I live in the hellhole that my wife was raised. A bunch of inbreds (literally, second cousin marriages only because first cousin is illegal) who are stuck in 1970 and enjoy the big fish in a little pond, but the pond is shrinking. Wife is not from the inbreds from my knowledge but these people won’t leave. If you are a male Who is not a native, they despise everything about you.

So my preferred place to live is anyplace but here.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I would rather shoot myself in the face than share a wall with a neighbor ever again. Ideally somewhere just outside town where neighbors aren't too close and you have some privacy if you go outside, but still close enough to civilization to have good internet.

This. A decent but not huge house on a good sized lot preferably backing up to something that will never be developed. I like the idea of living in a smaller town or out in the country but the logistics of modern amenities and internet, having to drive more than 5 or ten minutes to get something you forgot you need etc. are all reasons I want to stay close to a city.

I live in the hellhole that my wife was raised. A bunch of inbreds (literally, second cousin marriages only because first cousin is illegal) who are stuck in 1970 and enjoy the big fish in a little pond, but the pond is shrinking. Wife is not from the inbreds from my knowledge but these people won’t leave. If you are a male Who is not a native, they despise everything about you.

So my preferred place to live is anyplace but here.

Well you are one of those damn Hatfields.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
In a suburb, on an acre or two, a good sized ranch house and a heated outbuilding for my hobbies.

We’ve got the suburb part down. Still waiting on the rest.

Reactions: cyfan92 and Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I am smack dab in the middle of quarter acre suburbia lots.
While I would like something acre-ish, I just find myself too dang busy to even contemplate keeping up with it.
The nice thing about our current sitch is that we bought just after the market tanked, and got a great deal with schools nearby.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I always thought I was an acreage guy, but after living in a small town for 7-8 years, I think that's about perfect. Modest house with a decent yard, so I don't have neighbors breathing down my neck, but they're close.

I farm, and so I get my fix of being in the country. Plus an acreage has so much more maintenance. I don't have much free time, and I sure as hell don't want to spend any more of the little free time I have working on or around the house.

I can walk/ride my bike to Fareway, the bank, pharmacy, bar, restaurants, hardware store, etc. Super convenient. I rarely drive in town unless it's raining hard or absolutely freezing. A lot of my friends live in town too, so it's always easy to get together. On almost any given night I can go by so-and-so's house and know there will be a group gathered, bullshitting and having a few beers.

I have zero interest in living anywhere else (house and community) in the foreseeable future.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Grew up in rural iowa where the only high speed internet my parents still have access to is a verizon hot spot and my drive to high school was 20 minutes. There are parts of living on a small farm I miss as it is a lot more quiet and less hectic than living in town but there are days I'm glad I dont have to go out in below zero weather to help thaw out a waterer that froze up so the cattle have something to drink. Luckily I only live 30 minutes from where I grew up so I can still get my farm kick once in awhile without having to help out daily. Now live in a suburb that still has some small town feel with big city conveniences and short drive to work. Have a little over quarter acre lot with a big garden so the neighbors look forward to the excess produce we have every summer. Takes me 90 minutes with a push mower to mow the lawn but I wont complain about having a larger lot when some of the new builds these days are on much smaller lots so the extra space between you and your neighbors is nice.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
10 years ago or even less I would have said a small acreage (4-20 Acres) on a paved road. No more than 10 miles from a half way decent convenience store and no more than an hour from a real grocery store. And no more than 2-3 hours from a commercial airport. A small home with a large garage. Electricity and a well and some way to access the internet - either hard wire or cell data plan. I really wanted to be out and away from everything! A nice small pond or adjacent to a lake would be icing on the cake.

I looked around South Dakota several times but significant others were not into the idea.

Now I want simple and easy. The Florida condo is ideal for 1/2 the year. Thinking of selling the house in Clarence and getting a townhouse or condo in an area closer to family and friends I can count on and want to be near. Still need a decent size garage and an extra space (family room/basement/den) for some extracurricular accumulations that I still enjoy having and tinkering with.

And pet friendly. Must be pet friendly.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I really like our semi-rural acre. Likely to eventually have development behind us but should have an ok tree screen by then. It's probably 10+ years out yet, land is still actively farmed. I wouldn't mind being a little closer to town.

Ideal ideal would be a nice breezy home with beach access.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I am smack dab in the middle of quarter acre suburbia lots.
While I would like something acre-ish, I just find myself too dang busy to even contemplate keeping up with it.
The nice thing about our current sitch is that we bought just after the market tanked, and got a great deal with schools nearby.
The quarter acre suburbia lot I'm on seems like where I was destined to be. I love our neighbors most of the time, the schools are good, the long cul de sac has always been safe for the kids to play on, and being near the city gives us choices. I'm not a super-exciting person (yes, that may be hard to believe) so this seems about right.