Friday OT - I Got A Big Backyard

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I have to admit I was a little disappointed when I opened this thread. I saw "big back yard" and assumed the "junk in the trunk", Sir Mix-a-lot style. Unfortunately it's about actual back yards, property style.

Junk in the trunk is next Friday. It's about clutter in your house and spring cleaning. Should be a good one.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'd like to be smack dab in the middle of about 10,000 acres of timber and farmland. No one around for miles.

No city lights, no cars driving by at 2:30 am, no neighbor not mowing his yard, nothing.
Yes, this is definitely the advantage of a wooded acreage. The disadvantage is very little chance of growing flowers that need a lot of sun. I do what I can, but it's mostly lilies, hostas, and shade tolerant plants.

Reactions: heitclone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I think I'm probably a great deal different than most of you.....my ideal situation would be a stone/timber house perched high above Lake Superior, with evergreen forest surrounding me. No neighbors, at least none within walking distance.

Huge garden (vegetables), and I'd hunt and fish to supplement the larder. My only concession to civilization would be the satellite dish. (Gotta watch my Cyclones!)

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Currently on an a decent sized acreage (a bit over 20) about 10-15 minutes from a town with gas/groceries etc, been here for about 2 years and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I grew up in small town and then I lived in a duplex for about 8 years in that same town, I had no complaints at the time but the last two places we've lived were in the country and I can't imagine having neighbors that close or even right next door. Id never consider a city. We have fairly close neighbors on two sides, close enough to notice but never really see or hear them, luckily ours is an isolated property off of the road, with timber and pasture on the other sides, it's just about right. We've got a big garden and lots of potential meals walking around too which helps with the grocery bill.

I love the privacy, full disclosure, being able to walk out of my front door and smoke a J carefree is a nice bonus.

Maintaining all of it has been a learning curve and keeps me pretty busy but for some reason, I really like that kind of stuff so it doesn't bother me, yet. Probably will when I get a little older but I really only NEED to keep up a couple of acres, the rest is just kind of for fun little projects or keeping paths open to access the entire property.

Only complaint is crappy internet.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This. A decent but not huge house on a good sized lot preferably backing up to something that will never be developed. I like the idea of living in a smaller town or out in the country but the logistics of modern amenities and internet, having to drive more than 5 or ten minutes to get something you forgot you need etc. are all reasons I want to stay close to a city.

Well you are one of those damn Hatfields.

Weren't they the smarter ones? The average IQ here is probably around the level of walking around with your mouth hanging open. Not drooling level, just mouth breathing and unaware your mouth is ajar.

• Funny
Reactions: wxman1 and Angie

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ahhh, small town Iowa. .
Wish that was just it. Will concede that many are rooted in the ways things were. This one definitely takes the cake, know many people who have came from different situations and they all say the same things as they leave (I'm just the poor bastard that can't until the kids graduate) that this is by far the worst of the worst for small town issues.

EDIT: To say what I actually would prefer, an acreage with a few outbuildings. Quiet and peaceful, but on a blacktop because I don't like gravel roads. Big enough to have a few cattle and some pets and room to for kids/grandkids to drive the four wheeler or gator around.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That sounds awesome. Aren't you an attorney, too? County attorney? Man of the people / public servant who the citizens can see / talk with waltzing around town. In my mind, this is what makes America great!

Used to. I have a law license, haven’t practiced (outside of doing legal work for the farm) since 2014. Small town prosecution was not work I enjoyed.

Reactions: Angie

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I was able to find our current home about 5 years ago and I don't plan on leaving for some time. I like my privacy but I can't live without the comforts of city living. One acre just outside the city limits. Wooded area and all my neighbors have 1+ acre lots, so they are somewhat visible and easy to visit, but far enough apart to maintain privacy. My neighbor across the street has a 2 million dollar house with a huge amount of open grass that he allows my kids to use, so they have a ton of extra green space and I don't have to mow it. The interior is dated and we bought it from someone who moved out of state before they could do proper updates to it, so we got a great deal on it. I did a huge down to the studs renovation on the main floor and I'll spend the next 2 decades fixing up the rest of the house.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I am retired and sick of taking care of a yard and the house. Give me a unit in Green Hills and I will smile and thank you.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron