F*** These Refs

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Were the refs great? No. On the other hand, I don’t understand why Conditt always blows through these games with at least one silly reach in foul. If you are going to foul, let it be bodying up to stop a score or get a board, not these little slap reach in things. They are usually when he is already beat anyway.

Niang was aware of his importance to our offense and didn’t get these ticky tack fouls. People thought he was just a bad defender but we had to keep him on the floor. Conditt would probably benefit from evaluation of all of his fouls. He seems to be in foul trouble in the first five minutes of every game.

I love Conditt's effort but there was one point in the 2nd half where I believe he was at 4 fouls, a Tech guy tracks down a defensive rebound in the corner and George is in the corner trying to pressure him 90 feet from the basket. They didn't call a foul but they probably could have, and those are the types of plays he just can't make. He's got to start valuing his availability.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm starting from a place of believing the refs intend to call a game fairly. I can't think of any reason why they officials would intentionally benefit Tech over us.

So with that baseline, I think it becomes incumbent upon us to figure out how a game is being officiated. They were allowing for hand-checking out top, but they were calling contact down low. You have to see that and start forcing the issue. You have to be able to figure out how a game is being called and adjust. We were content floating around 15-25 feet from the basket in a game where they were rewarding a team for being aggressive to the rim. You have to be able to see that and adjust.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
When and at what level have you ever seen such poor shooting?

It's easy to crap on the shooting but good defenses impact open shots too. Guys just get really sped up and it's easy to miss the open looks.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering

I can't believe I'm going to say this.

Jones has to sell that. Hard. Don't maintain your feet. Yell and go down. Do everything you can to make the official aware of the contact in the moment.

The officials aren't in a good position to make the call as they are sprinting down the court. Do everything you can to help them out. This is where the home court is so advantageous. Sometimes when the refs are in poor position or running, they seem to make calls based on reactions. REACT!

• Disagree
Reactions: CYDJ

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
The refs were definitely inconsistent and made some bad calls. That said, I'd like to see Brockington take it to the rack a little more. He is an elite mid range guy but sometimes it seems like he had step on a guy and decided to pull up and it allowed them to contest. Go get a layup, get fouled or have the D collapse on you

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
To be fair, Tech made their run against a small lineup because Kunc and Jones both had 4 fouls and Conditt had fouled out. Up until that point, we had really held our own both inside and out. 4 out of the 5 fouls on Kunc were absolutely brutal calls. That offensive foul was a complete flop and if the roles were reversed Kunc would have absolutely been given a flop warning. It's just weird how our bigs aren't allowed to defend like the other team we are playing and we've seen that a lot during conference play.
Nadolny totally flopped on the Kunc foul. That was a terrible call. Jones on the loose ball was a complete ticky tack.

Even though I think the foul discrepancy was more caused by the two teams very different shot selection and aggression, it was a poorly officiated game.

I almost think these "points of emphasis" that come up through the year make things worse. It's a good intent, but it seems these things just get called so radically different and inconsistently.

In the end, officials are not very good these days. The game is too fast, and they can't keep up. Reality seems to be that being overly aggressive works, and having your coach constantly working officials, either by going Tom Izzo-spaz, or by planting the "watch for #X always doing this" seeds, it works. So coaches can either accept this and start doing it, or always be at a disadvantage. Coaches have to walk the fine line of trying to get calls while not giving their team the impression they don't control the outcome of the game. It's hard. But sadly this just has to be something coaches have to do.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I can't believe I'm going to say this.

Jones has to sell that. Hard. Don't maintain your feet. Yell and go down. Do everything you can to make the official aware of the contact in the moment.
Ha, I was watching that, and my instinct was "call a foul!" Then I wasn't so sure I wanted Rob shooting FTs!

I don't think selling a foul is in Rob's DNA. Dude is just going to go to work and battle.

• Agree
Reactions: Wally86 and CYDJ

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
I feel like because we were so bad for a couple years everyone forgot how conference play works. It's always been harder to get calls as the road team, at least since I started paying attention to college basketball 30 years ago. I'm sure the refs know it too and are doing their best to not be swayed by the atmosphere, but for whatever reason it seems impossible to fix.
That said, Tech is a good team and exposed our weaknesses. We've had a lack of depth all year and for some reason gotten away with it until now. This is a team that just isn't built for foul trouble, and they forced us into positions where they could get calls and wore us down that way.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Yes the refs were stupid last night (when are they not?), however, Tech did outplay us in basically every facet of the game. And if we want to get to the FT line more, we need to drive to the hoop and try and get contact. Settling for deep 2's doesn't get you to the FT line.

Reactions: Jayshellberg

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Were the refs great? No. On the other hand, I don’t understand why Conditt always blows through these games with at least one silly reach in foul. If you are going to foul, let it be bodying up to stop a score or get a board, not these little slap reach in things. They are usually when he is already beat anyway.

Niang was aware of his importance to our offense and didn’t get these ticky tack fouls. People thought he was just a bad defender but we had to keep him on the floor. Conditt would probably benefit from evaluation of all of his fouls. He seems to be in foul trouble in the first five minutes of every game.

Yeah Conditt just can't get out of his own way when it comes to foul trouble. Kunc being stuck on the bench last night killed our offense.

Reactions: VeloClone

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I am so intrigued by people saying they want to see more driving right after that video is posted.

Iowa State actually had more points in the paint at halftime. But the game was called differently in the second half. Anytime our players would start to drive, they would get held or checked without a foul. When that happens it makes sense to pull it back out. When someone did get to the basket, they were bodied up but no foul was called.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This whole conspiracy against Iowa State is nonsense. We were 5-26 from 3 point range. Our bigs were outmatched and all they could do was foul- constantly in the wrong place. We didn’t play our best game against a good team on the road. Miss shots, play sloppy D, you’re going to lose.

Does anyone really think TJ went to the locker room after the game and said, “great game guys, and we would’ve won of it weren’t for those meddling refs”. There is no crazy conspiracy hatched by back-room power brokers to keep Iowa State down. We just need to play better on the road.
Definitely no conspiracy but the college game is officiated really poorly.

• Agree
Reactions: Ayagi

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Not that it's any consolation.....but did anyone see the end of the KU/OU game? The league is back to if it's close.........KU wins. I don't know the KU player.....but in crunch time, he carries the ball, then just loses out of bounds on a drive in front of Higgins and Higgins just gives it back.
The ball was hit by an OU player.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I'm starting from a place of believing the refs intend to call a game fairly. I can't think of any reason why they officials would intentionally benefit Tech over us.

So with that baseline, I think it becomes incumbent upon us to figure out how a game is being officiated. They were allowing for hand-checking out top, but they were calling contact down low. You have to see that and start forcing the issue. You have to be able to figure out how a game is being called and adjust. We were content floating around 15-25 feet from the basket in a game where they were rewarding a team for being aggressive to the rim. You have to be able to see that and adjust.
This is true. Watched the OU game prior and they let that game get really physical. This is not just this game but have seen this nationwide but refs let big guys push with their body into a guy going up for a shot. For example McCormack went up for a shot but Tanner Groves had his hands up straight but used his lower body to shove McCormack back. No foul even though it should have been. I noticed later in the game KU bigs did this OU bigs a few times after they say it wasn't being called.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Nadolny totally flopped on the Kunc foul. That was a terrible call. Jones on the loose ball was a complete ticky tack.

Even though I think the foul discrepancy was more caused by the two teams very different shot selection and aggression, it was a poorly officiated game.

I almost think these "points of emphasis" that come up through the year make things worse. It's a good intent, but it seems these things just get called so radically different and inconsistently.

In the end, officials are not very good these days. The game is too fast, and they can't keep up. Reality seems to be that being overly aggressive works, and having your coach constantly working officials, either by going Tom Izzo-spaz, or by planting the "watch for #X always doing this" seeds, it works. So coaches can either accept this and start doing it, or always be at a disadvantage. Coaches have to walk the fine line of trying to get calls while not giving their team the impression they don't control the outcome of the game. It's hard. But sadly this just has to be something coaches have to do.
Complete flop and should have been a flop warning. They are by far the worst in the conference with the flopping but they know most of the time they will get the call and that is why they do it.