Ejim

HARMCYN

Jan 20, 2012
Cambridge, IA
Anyone think Ejim might get lost in the fray? I came in thinking he would be one of our best players, but last night was outshone by Niang, Clyburn, and mixes of Gibson and Booker. Last night he didn't even get the minutes I thought he would, but didn't need to with the way our other guys were playing. Also, who here thinks Booker is a bit of an offensive liability yet, I'd like to see him come inside instead of his soft outside turn he uses..Right now he looks like our version of the Thunder's Kendrick Perkins, just stick him in the corner on offense where he's not a problem he is very much an enforcer and a defensive presence, a la Big Perk..Thoughts on both?

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
He played better in the 2nd half. He always got some time at the 3. I doubt he'll see much time there this year once Babb comes back, but next year he could see more time there.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Can we get by with Niang, Ejim, and Clyburn as a front court? I really think we need at least Percy in there for size. Ultimately I doubt we'll see Percy and Booker in much at the same time so the other three can rotate in the two forward positions.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
If Melvin gets less time playing, I predict it will be because the team is moving players out and resting them so they are constantly fresh. That will mean the team is playing very well and he will be happy playing on a very good team. I think we are sitting pretty good. Just need to get polished in the first half.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
He's just one of those players that you can't truly appreciate how good he is/was until he graduates. He's a quiet killer.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
He'll quietly help us win games, and step up when he needs to.

This. Ejim will rarely jump out at you, even in some of his bigger games in the past. He'll quietly put in his 10 & 8, and play great defense. His minutes might go down. I see him sharing more time this year with Niang at the 4, and getting occasional, spot time at the 3.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
He will be a starter, so unless that is considered getting lost in the fray, then no.

I am not sure it will happen, but if Melvin could tighten up his handle, his (and the team's) offense would really open up.
He is a bit too small to have a true low post game, but if he could be darn effective taking the bigger posts with the dribble-drive.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Melvin isn't the type of guy that will take over a game.
He will always be that guy that you don't notice until you look at the stat sheet at the end of the game.

As for last night, Ejim's minutes were cut short because of his foul trouble.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Mel only lost minutes last night in the first half due to foul trouble. He plays good D, rebounds, and is efficient on offense and knows his role. He was also up helping direct traffic and encourage guys while on the bench. He is a captain for a reason....invaluable.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Melvin will have some big games, wait and see... It's great that we have me next year as well. His exprience in big games for us in the past is extremely valuable for us moving forward this season. I whole heartedly agree with previous posts calling Mel a "quiet killer". He will definately be rememebered by Cyclone fans when his career is all said and done as being a great player, and a class act!

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
He's just one of those players that you can't truly appreciate how good he is/was until he graduates. He's a quiet killer.

Exactly. He won't get a lot of ink, because he quietly goes about getting it done. Not afraid to stick his nose in, and when needed, will pull the trigger. I'd like to see him be a bit more selfish on offense, but with the lineup we have, he doesn't have to be.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I didn't think Melvin played poorly. In fact, at one point during the game I was wondering how we can get both Niang and Melvin on the floor at the some time more often. They both rebound so well and do so many little things to help the team.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
When Ejim is on the court, good things happen more often than when he is sitting. Unless he has a complete breakdown mentally and physically, I expect him to start all season long.

The stone that the builder refuse

Will always be the head cornerstone

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I didn't think Melvin played poorly. In fact, at one point during the game I was wondering how we can get both Niang and Melvin on the floor at the some time more often. They both rebound so well and do so many little things to help the team.

I like the flex stuff they run with Niang at the top of the key and the big 3 (Clyburn/Ejim) making the cut. A simple concept, but it works well with our personnel, especially with Percy and Niang in there. I think it's a good way to get Clyburn more action.

I bet we see that a ton next year. Gibson making the screen, Ejim cutting, Niang with ball at the top, and Thomas spacing the floor.

Last edited: