Drinking on the job.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
From the article linked in the OP:
"Knight is a lecturer in philosophy and religion. This is his second public intoxication offense. He pleaded guilty to a first offense one year ago."

A charge for public intox on his own time outside the classroom might raise some red flags, but probably would not lead to immediate dismissal. IN the classroom, during a lecture, is an altogether different story.

Having a "Dr" in front of your name is no guarantee that you are tenured faculty. About the only way to determine if they are tenured is to know their complete title - if they are an Associate Professor or (full) Professor or University Professor or Professor Emeritus they are generally tenured. If they are an Assistant Professor they may or may not be in a tenure track position. If they are Adjunct Assistant Professor or lecturer they probably are NOT tenure track.
@CycloneErik can probably correct any errors I've made here. :)
That all sounds correct to me, but the specifics might vary a little from one university to the next.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
From the article linked in the OP:
"Knight is a lecturer in philosophy and religion. This is his second public intoxication offense. He pleaded guilty to a first offense one year ago."

A charge for public intox on his own time outside the classroom might raise some red flags, but probably would not lead to immediate dismissal. IN the classroom, during a lecture, is an altogether different story.

Having a "Dr" in front of your name is no guarantee that you are tenured faculty. About the only way to determine if they are tenured is to know their complete title - if they are an Associate Professor or (full) Professor or University Professor or Professor Emeritus they are generally tenured. If they are an Assistant Professor they may or may not be in a tenure track position. If they are Adjunct Assistant Professor or lecturer they probably are NOT tenure track.
@CycloneErik can probably correct any errors I've made here. :)

I guess a small grammar Nazi type thing from what you quoted KC. Is it pleaded or pled? Or is either fine?

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Well, at least he can fallback on his job as the caretaker at Hogwarts

knight_gordon.jpg

I Love Gooooooooold!

upload_2017-12-11_15-44-41.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Istater4life

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Don't mean to bump a thread that's a month old, but my friend was in his class where he got arrested (however, decided to skip that day). Since he did not write the final before getting arrested, everyone automatically got an A on the final.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Don't mean to bump a thread that's a month old, but my friend was in his class where he got arrested (however, decided to skip that day). Since he did not write the final before getting arrested, everyone automatically got an A on the final.

#winning!

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Random semi-related story: I had a professor pass away hours after giving us the final and I had no idea. Called up a friend from the class after final grades were released and there wasn't a grade for that class and they told me what happened. The department ended up finding someone else to grade the exams and updated grades like a week or so later. So that's my weird finals experience.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
They should of at least been required to show up to take the nonexistent final exam

Technically, you are required to have some sort of class meeting for that final exam period.
I'd like some confirmation on that A thing, because I don't buy it. I can see the department assigning someone to assign the grades on a scale that eliminates the final, but I'm not seeing the automatic A.

As it is, it sounds like someone trying to create an urban legend or new drinking story.

Reactions: Bret44

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Technically, you are required to have some sort of class meeting for that final exam period.
I'd like some confirmation on that A thing, because I don't buy it. I can see the department assigning someone to assign the grades on a scale that eliminates the final, but I'm not seeing the automatic A.

As it is, it sounds like someone trying to create an urban legend or new drinking story.
If your roommate dies or your professor is a fall down drunk you get an automatic A! It totally happened to my best friend's older brother's cousin.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I had a class where the instructor didn't like people missing exams so if you missed an exam you would get a zero on the exam plus lose 5 additional points. When it came time for the final I considered skipping because I had my A even if I got a zero on the final but I couldn't afford the 5 additional point hit. So I went to the final, filled in the B bubble on every question and turned in my final 5 minutes after arriving. The test monitor was shocked when I turned it in, but I had plenty of other exams that semester to worry about and I could use the time better elsewhere.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We had a new territory rep show up his first day work for at a workshop that was held off site, that breaks out a bottle of Seagram's and a bottle of 7-Up. I am like WTF!!! Kudos to HR and management for hiring him along with giving him a company vehicle after I made them aware of this. The guy never sold anything and they kept him on payroll for almost 2 years. Due to company cutbacks they let him go finally. The dude as a walking liquor store all the time. A guy that used to work him at another job old me about his drinking problems. Hopefully he gets some help and doesn't end killing someone.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
If your roommate dies or your professor is a fall down drunk you get an automatic A! It totally happened to my best friend's older brother's cousin.

But not your best friends cousin? Sounds like a southern family.