*^% damn Peiople

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We are getting annihilated each week against teams in a down Big 12.

One year of experience isn't going to make these kids superheros next year.

Why is there some sort of irrational support for CPR right now? His last big win was two years ago, and the team has gotten worse since then. He hasn't made any changes on staff, our recruiting classes are still last, and we are 1-7. He has had one winning season here with Danny Mac and Chizik players. We were initially excited because we saw what he could do with those players and thought he would set the world on fire once he got his own players. That hasn't been the case. All he needs are a few motivational speeches for some of you to lose all rational thought.

This reminds me of the KState Purple bball coach. Good with someone else's recruits. Then a slow grind down. The Illini fball team was also in a similar situation a few years back.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
We are getting annihilated each week against teams in a down Big 12.

One year of experience isn't going to make these kids superheros next year.

Why is there some sort of irrational support for CPR right now? His last big win was two years ago, and the team has gotten worse since then. He hasn't made any changes on staff, our recruiting classes are still last, and we are 1-7. He has had one winning season here with Danny Mac and Chizik players. We were initially excited because we saw what he could do with those players and thought he would set the world on fire once he got his own players. That hasn't been the case. All he needs are a few motivational speeches for some of you to lose all rational thought.
I honestly don't think Rhoads is ever going to get it done here. I see almost no silver lining with the future here under his leadership right now. Only problem is the contract we gave him. Can't afford to fire him so I guess we will have to wait and see what happens with staff changes.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
People callling for Rhoads' head ... just my opinion, but y'all are crazy. CPR is the best thing to happen to this football program in a long time, and just because we're having a crappy season and haven't advanced as far as you think we should have, you think he should get the boot?

In my view, I don't think this magic number of "5 years" should be this be-all and end-all factor. First off, how hard do you think it was for Rhoads to start recruiting after the Chizik debacle? Surely you wouldn't think his first two recruiting classes would be full of All-Americans, or even All-Big 12 players. Plus, consider the disadvantages ISU already has in recruiting when compared to the Texas and Oklahoma schools, or even Mizzou. It's tough to get top recruits to come here, and it's really tough to get a lot of them.

Secondly, CPR may have been his own worst enemy with the expectations his teams have set. We were one play away from bowling all four of the past four years (the two-point conversion vs Nebraska in 2010). We were also only three plays away from going 3-9 in 2011 (UNI, Iowa, Okie State). The Cyclones have been the beneficiaries of a lot of luck, especially in 2011. There has been absolutely none of that this year, which isn't surprising. Match that with a down year in talent, experience and a lot of injuries, and this year's results shouldn't shock anybody.

All of you guys calling for Rhoads' head (Doctor, Gwad, UNIGuy, etc) ... let's see who you would replace him with? Who could you hire to come to Ames who would be an upgrade in recruiting, particularly? Who else would have the passion and the coaching skills to improve this football program? I bet your list isn't very long, and the names on it who actually have a snowball's chance of coming to Ames is vanishingly small.

I don't like this season very much. The Cyclones are playing bad, bad football. They're a bad football team this year, no question. But given the hand CPR had when he came on, fits and starts have to be expected. We got our expectations raised far too high before this year started, when anyone with their feet on the ground should have known this year would be a struggle (not a 1 or 2 win struggle, yeah, but certainly not a likely bowl team).

Next year should be the key. And if there's no improvement after 2015, then I will join you in calling for a change. But this year? Good grief, folks. You want to get rid of the best thing the program has going for it right now. Get over it.

Guess we thought we would never do worse than a two win Chizik season again.

For the record, all fans hope for a bowl season since half the schools go. We did not expect a C (6 win) season every year, just at least a D (4 win) season minimum. Now looking at an F (0-1 win) season.

That said, how many home games can we lose? That is sad for 11 am tailgators.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Bill Snyder since his reboot vs. the Rhoads experiment. Same conference adjustments and similar programs. Both teams started off pretty much dead even in year one.

b7diwz.jpg

i3tk4w.jpg

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
at the first sign of adversity under Pelini or Brown following their success.

This is where the OP's entire post failed.

This is hardly the "first sign of adversity".

On the offensive side of things, the first sign of adversity was the entire tenure of rhoads. We've consistently sucked it up on offense, and have just been lucky to have solid enough performances to keep our inept offense in games. If we had even a mediocre offense last year, we're an 8 or 9 win team before the bowl, maybe even 10 if everything went our way.

And then on the whole program side, well, we have the fact that this is the fourth losing season in a row (or if you want to be generous you could say non-winning if you dont count the bowl losses), we have gone more than a year since a home win, and our only wins in the last 365 days have come from Kansas last year and Tulsa this year, sub-100 rated teams. Yes we made a bowl the last 2 seasons... give a big thanks to the NCAA for letting the number of bowls keep increasing i guess, without at large bid coming to the big 12 conference in both years we mightve been left at home both times.

I'm NOT saying to fire rhoads right now. Not at all. But as i see it its a big decision time for rhoads. Either he makes major staff changes -the ones he should have made when herman left- and that buys him some time, or he sticks by his guy Mess, and if he does that i think he should be officially be on the hot seat and expected to produce next year. I'm expecting those changes. Even if he doesnt want to i would expect he'd get pressure from JP as well, as 'staying the course' is likely to cause lots of season ticket issues

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
I actually think that lack of talent is our biggest issue. And that may develop with more experience as well as a shake up in coordinators this offseason. We also need to upgrade the qb position.

Our talent level is definitely on par with K State's. It's not individual talent level, I think it has more to do with your 2nd and 3rd statements.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I think people are confusing their salaries with BCS football coaches salaries. CPR is highly paid relative to the average Joe but well below the average BCS coach.

Did that other poster say "Boom!" in a post? db.
Anyway, you are correct. My statement was empirical......I am a CPR guy (I was a Mac Guy too)....I just think the Offensive Coaching staff should have been turned over....I bet they would secretly agree, it is just their severance contracts dictate that they go through the motions until the contract is over and they maximize the amount of money they can extract from Iowa State.
Those cats on offense specifically are getting paid six figures to put together a one win season. Remember that offensive game plan we had against UNI. Remember the Liberty Bowl. I honestly think you or I or the guy at The Duck Blind in Carroll, Iowa could draw up plays on a napkin and holler them from the sideline and also have a 1 win season. Hell, I think I could have coached these brave young men to three wins this season if you would have given me a week prior to UNI cold.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
Welcome to sports.

The reality is that this is 4 straight losing seasons. It's four years of ineptitude, not some knee jerk reaction. Most of these issues have been masked by a big win or two each season, but at this point anyone can see that there is something very, very wrong with the health of this program and it comes directly from the poor team management skills and practices that Rhoads has put in place since the moment Jake Knott went down. He's over working these kids and his tunnel vision that "anything can be improved with more hard work" can be traced back to many of the issues that this team has, including injuries.

You can blindly follow all you want, which is completely fine, but don't try to talk down to other people for your own inability to see passed the ********.

4 years of ineptitude? You would describe the first 4 years of Rhoads' tenure with the word ineptitude? I guess you forget about where we were when Rhoads took over Chizik or where we were when Chiz took over for Mac. I guess you forgot that we were competing in either the best or 2nd best conference in the country (along with SEC) with inferior talent compared to other Big XII schools. And while we finished near the bottom each year, I saw improvements in the program. Facilities improved and recruiting classes have gotten better. Let's be honest, we should have beaten WVU last year. Woody's fumble is still mind-blowing and we had a shot vs. KSU. We had almost zero margin for error allowable to win games not only this year but last year as well.

How do you know the kids are being overworked? It's blind statements like this that fall right in line with what my original post was. Too many people making blind statements and blanket statements - fire this guy, fire that guy, etc... SR has been called out on here. The OL has taken a beating on here.

Am I saying no complaining or questioning of things? No. I'm saying some people need watch what they post and really think about how firing CPR at the end of the year would impact things. Seems drastic to me. We don't have to all hold hands and be happy about the season. I'm just sick of seeing the same posts about this guy sucks, this guy needs to go, here is what I would do, the OL stinks, etc...

Never until this year have we had this type of season or reaction under or to CPR. WHen we do, this is how some people are reacting. Don't tell me not to talk down to people...I'm not. I'm voicing my opinion without throwing everything about the program under the bus.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
4 years of ineptitude? You would describe the first 4 years of Rhoads' tenure with the word ineptitude? I guess you forget about where we were when Rhoads took over Chizik or where we were when Chiz took over for Mac. I guess you forgot that we were competing in either the best or 2nd best conference in the country (along with SEC) with inferior talent compared to other Big XII schools. And while we finished near the bottom each year, I saw improvements in the program. Facilities improved and recruiting classes have gotten better. Let's be honest, we should have beaten WVU last year. Woody's fumble is still mind-blowing and we had a shot vs. KSU. We had almost zero margin for error allowable to win games not only this year but last year as well.

How do you know the kids are being overworked? It's blind statements like this that fall right in line with what my original post was. Too many people making blind statements and blanket statements - fire this guy, fire that guy, etc... SR has been called out on here. The OL has taken a beating on here.

Am I saying no complaining or questioning of things? No. I'm saying some people need watch what they post and really think about how firing CPR at the end of the year would impact things. Seems drastic to me. We don't have to all hold hands and be happy about the season. I'm just sick of seeing the same posts about this guy sucks, this guy needs to go, here is what I would do, the OL stinks, etc...

Never until this year have we had this type of season or reaction under or to CPR. WHen we do, this is how some people are reacting. Don't tell me not to talk down to people...I'm not. I'm voicing my opinion without throwing everything about the program under the bus.

This is the least of the worries CPR has involving this train wreck.

Next year is a key year for him. Turn the ship around and give fans hope again or finish going down the drain.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
With or without staff changes, if next year resembles this year, CPR is toast. I'm not optimistic as we are missing the talent we need to turn this around. The world's best coaches can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Bad recruiting for years has doomed CPR.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Some of you need a serious dose of reality or a life. Since our struggles, I've read about firing Rhoads, firing the entire staff, everything from questioning Pollard to firing Pollard, calling out players, etc...the list goes on and on. I swear some of the fan base on here has not a clue about our situation. You are acting worse than Huskerfan or Longhornfan. At least these fan bases didn't ***** and moan at the first sign of adversity under Pelini or Brown following their success.

For the first time in Rhoads tenure we are not going to win at least 5 games and you are ready to break this program down, allow for a coaching change at the top and are ready to lose recruits and current players. All of these would set the program back 3-4 years, most likely. Some of you have no idea how to be a fan or handle adversity, which tells me your kneejerk reaction to fire or replace the AD, HC or entire coaching staff is probably the worst thing that can happen.

Chill the **** out and get a dam grip.

So you are saying fans can expect good things to happen in Year 5? That the program should be on the upswing?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Weird how many people think 6-7 and being competitive to 1-11 and getting beat like a drum week in and week out is a normal bump in a coaching tenure.

only at ISU do we long for a 6-7 losing record.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Our coach is 1-7 with only one winning season and 50% of our fans are defending him to the death.

Some things I don't understand...

If you think Rhoads has been a failure the last 4 years, then you think ISU football has been a failure for 8 of the last 11 seasons. And the "successful" seasons have been cumulatively 5 games over .500 with soft schedules and blown chances to win the North. Why care about such a bad program?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
If you think Rhoads has been a failure the last 4 years, then you think ISU football has been a failure for 8 of the last 11 seasons. And the "successful" seasons have been cumulatively 5 games over .500 with soft schedules and blown chances to win the North. Why care about such a bad program?
Which backs up history. This is one of the biggest failures of a program in major college athletics, and has been for decades. You will be hard pressed to find a program with worst history than the ISU football team. Its just the same old story, although the AD has been preaching that this was changing. It isn't.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010

In regard to the bolded, I've been hearing that from parents of players and other people for a while now.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
If there's anything this program has going for it, its the fans. So no, we don't need to pipe down. I think we've been really civilized actually, for how embarrassing the team has looked.

Here's my view of the team:

Most of the talent is on the offensive side, but the staff appears to have no clue how to use it. Injuries on the line don't help, but every team has injuries. If we hire a good coordinator and stay healthy next year, I think we could do some things.

Defensively we need more talent if we hope to compete. I'm guessing we went for talent on the offensive side thinking Wally could compensate for some less talent defensively, but seeing what we're putting out there right now, I don't think there's much any coordinator could do with that talent gap.

That's what I see....us fans can say all we want, but I'm guessing JP's timetable is longer before he would consider pulling the plug on Rhoads. I can still get behind Rhoads, because we have seen some success. This isn't a situation like Chewy for me, where I couldn't get behind it because it was hopeless & we had enough talent to compete.

TensasCy

Mar 24, 2012
Maybe they could just change the uniforms or the helmets. That would show the fans that the program was headed back in the right direction.