*^% damn Peiople

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I think it's time we fire all the coaches and release all the players from their scholarships and not field a football team. If we can't win all our games we need to just not field a team so we don't disappoint so many expert fans each Saturday.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
My worry is that the recruiting is no worse than it's ever been, if you go by the rankings. Have Rhoads' classes been much worse than Geno's or Dan's? In fact, we were told that talent was at an all time high (although I was never convinced of that -- how could anyone know?). Yet the quality of play has been as bad as it's ever been.

Rhoads will keep his job, as he should. But what we're seeing this year should be setting off alarms in a big way even for the hard core sunshine pumpers.
What TheCaptain actually said was that there was more talent on the roster than he had ever seen.

It helps if you get your quotes straight, I suppose. And "how he would know" might have something to do with the fact that TheCaptain played for ISU, had a long NFL career, and has been involved with the program since. Is that good enough for everyone?

I suspect it makes him more an authority on the subject than 99.99999% of the posters here...and I just gave up on typing more "nines".

As for a poster saying that Rhoads has had "bad recruiting", at best, that's an ignorant statement, and just another excuse to trash the coaching staff.

If anyone wants a "quick turnaround" next year, I'm saying that having all of your starting offensive linemen both returning AND healthy--along with a whole bunch of other injured players--is going to make this team look a heck of a lot better. And, correspondingly, make the coaches look that much better.

Unfortunately, some people are so desperate to blame someone as a focus for their frustration, they'll pick out whoever is convenient. And that includes coaches and players.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
What TheCaptain actually said was that there was more talent on the roster than he had ever seen.

It helps if you get your quotes straight, I suppose. And "how he would know" might have something to do with the fact that TheCaptain played for ISU, had a long NFL career, and has been involved with the program since. Is that good enough for everyone?

I suspect it makes him more an authority on the subject than 99.99999% of the posters here...and I just gave up on typing more "nines".

As for a poster saying that Rhoads has had "bad recruiting", at best, that's an ignorant statement, and just another excuse to trash the coaching staff.

If anyone wants a "quick turnaround" next year, I'm saying that having all of your starting offensive linemen both returning AND healthy--along with a whole bunch of other injured players--is going to make this team look a heck of a lot better. And, correspondingly, make the coaches look that much better.

Unfortunately, some people are so desperate to blame someone as a focus for their frustration, they'll pick out whoever is convenient. And that includes coaches and players.

You are delusional.

Recruting Rankings
2013 9
2012 10
2011 9
2010 9
2009 9

Big 12 Standings
2013 10
2012 9
2011 8

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You are delusional.

Recruting Rankings
2013 9
2012 10
2011 9
2010 9
2009 9

Big 12 Standings
2013 10
2012 9
2011 8
To be fair, if I'm "delusional", you're willfully ignorant, if all that you bother to look at--and rely upon to make an judgement-- is "recruiting rankings". How superficial an evaluation is that?

Good grief, Nigel Tribune didn't even have a profile, let alone stars, and you can't see with your own eyes that he belies "recruiting rankings"???

Actually, perhaps I should ask--are you calling ME "delusional", or TheCaptain? This one, I'm actually kinda curious about. :yes:

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
To be fair, if I'm "delusional", you're willfully ignorant, if all that you bother to look at--and rely upon to make an judgement-- is "recruiting rankings". How superficial an evaluation is that?

Good grief, Nigel Tribune didn't even have a profile, let alone stars, and you can't see with your own eyes that he belies "recruiting rankings"???

Actually, perhaps I should ask--are you calling ME "delusional", or TheCaptain? This one, I'm actually kinda curious about. :yes:

Recruiting stars aren't everything but they are pretty darn indicative a a team's talent level. Use your own eyes and see that we are terrible.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
You are right. We should be happy with a passing game that is ranked 92, a rushing game that is ranked 97, a scoring offense game that is ranked 97, and a total offense that is ranked 111, that is 12 from the bottom in the NCAA. These coaches get paid a lot of money to do what they do, just like in any job if you don't do your job well, your employment should be questioned.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
This makes me realize why most coaches show little to no emotion after victories. They know that as soon as things go bad, the fans will turn their backs to him immediately.
We are 1-11 in the last 12. That is not immediately.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Personally, I don't want to see CPR gone. However, I do think as fans we have to get over this attitude of acceptance of mediocrity too.

I've been a fan of ISU since the mid 60's. Over the years fans have heard that a better, bigger stadium was needed, we had to have bigger donations, better coaches salaries were needed, and finally better training facilities were needed for ISU to compete. An indoor practice facility was needed. An academic center was needed for recruiting purposes. Well......ISU now has all those things. The fans have fulfilled their part of the bargain, imho. Yet, ISU is still not competing well in the Big 12. So now what? Will filling in the SEZ help? Come on people....something is wrong here.

We all want ISU to succeed, and 90 percent if not all of us would be happy to see CPR be the coach that does that......but it's not happening. Hell, it took the OC until the 3rd game to figure out that Wimberly was a pretty damned good running back, even though the entire rest of the U.S. already knew that! In the first 2 games that ISU lost....Wimberly had a TOTAL of 10 carries! But he averaged nearly 5 yards per carry! Now, most of us are not BCS school OC's, but I would bet most of us would know to give a JUCO All-American running back more than 10 carries in the first 2 games! Duh.

Yes, the team has had a lot of injuries, but be serious. This team lost the first game of the season to UNI before there were many injuries. Plus, every team has injuries. What is clear is that even though this is the 5th year of the program, there is no depth.......yet our head coach told us at the start of the year that this was his most talented team! If that is true.......I don't know what else to say about it.

In the past, one could say it is too hard to win at ISU. I don't think that is valid any more as an argument. Ames and ISU should not be a tough sell. ISU is a good sized school and a good academic school. Great fan support. Good and very good facilities. Great competition in the Big 12. Ames is one of the best college towns in the country, and one of the best places to live in the U.S. according to surveys and studies. So what is missing?

If ISU can't do it, how the hell do teams like Fresno State, Boise State, Northern Illinois, Baylor and K-State do it? Have you ever been to Fresno people? I have. I have even worked events there. Seriously....it is the ******* raisin capitol of the world! Manhattan, Kansas? Boise? Blue turf? Come on people!

As fans, we have to stop accepting and expecting the mediocrity of this program. We have given them the tools they asked from us....all they asked for.....now they have to come through.....no excuses!

Excellent post. As a native Iowan who lives in the South, I have never understood the inferiority complex people have about Ames. It is a GREAT college town. It should be a fairly easy sell to parents who want their boy going to a safe city, better than average fans, facilities and academics. Gorgeous campus. Family environment, which many of these kids need. People sell Ames short. I miss being on campus every day. Best decision I ever made was going there, in hindsight. Compared to other campuses, we have tons more going for us. Be Proud of that!

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
Ames>Corvallis, Ames>Manhatten, Ames>Boise, Ames>Pullman, Ames>Starkville

Wow, Ames is better than Corvallis Oregon? and Boise Idaho? what are you smoking? I love Ames, but these are exceptionally beautiful places to live. (okay, so i've actually only spent time in Corvallis, just passed through Boise but thought it seemed very cool for an Iowa boy)

I thought I would copy McCarney's ISU record below from Wikipedia. Puts things in perspective for me on this season. I also want to reiterate a point that many people don't seem to let sink in with all the emotion flying. With a relatively healthy O-Line, not to mention other positions, what might be ISU's record? I bet we'd go 5-7. Momentum can change so much in a game and in a season. Maybe just a few more wins and the sky isn't falling anymore. Suddenly people would put the season in perspective and look ahead to good things to come. So I tend to agree that people need to relax a bit.

Iowa State
2–91–76th (North)
1997Iowa State1–101–76th (North)
1998Iowa State3–81–7T–5th (North)
1999Iowa State4–71–7T–5th (North)
2000Iowa State9–35–33rd (North)
W Insight.com2325
2001Iowa State7–54–43rd (North)L Independence
2002Iowa State7–74–43rd (North)L Humanitarian
2003Iowa State2–100–86th (North)
2004Iowa State7–54–4T–1st (North)W Independence
2005Iowa State7–54–4T–2nd (North)L Houston
2006Iowa State4–81–76th (North)

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
With a relatively healthy O-Line, not to mention other positions, what might be ISU's record? I bet we'd go 5-7. Momentum can change so much in a game and in a season. Maybe just a few more wins and the sky isn't falling anymore. Suddenly people would put the season in perspective and look ahead to good things to come. So I tend to agree that people need to relax a bit.

Iowa State
2–9
1–7
6th (North)
Iowa State
1–10
1–7
6th (North)
Iowa State
3–8
1–7
T–5th (North)
Iowa State
4–7
1–7
T–5th (North)
Iowa State
9–3
5–3
3rd (North)
W Insight.com
Iowa State
7–5
4–4
3rd (North)
L Independence
Iowa State
7–7
4–4
3rd (North)
L Humanitarian
Iowa State
2–10
0–8
6th (North)
Iowa State
7–5
4–4
T–1st (North)
W Independence
Iowa State
7–5
4–4
T–2nd (North)
L Houston
Iowa State
4–8
1–7
6th (North)

This team got manhandled by a bad UNI team, when they still were healthy. Spin it all you want, make yourself feel better all you want but that is a fact.

There are real underlying issues with this team. The first one is the injury problem. What is going on there. Why since moving into the new complex and using the new equipment have injuries been way up, is there something to this or just bad luck.

The other is lack of offense and QB development/regressing the last 2 years. Its not that this team is losing it is how they are losing. There is no identity on O, no one thing they can do well, no thinking outside the box. When you only score 3 TDs in 3 games that are not at the end of the game, there are issues. This offense is raked 111 in the NCAA. 111. 111. That is not good, its laughable. There is no way changes will not be made on this staff, hell I don't know how some coaches still have jobs this week.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
With a relatively healthy O-Line, not to mention other positions, what might be ISU's record? I bet we'd go 5-7. Momentum can change so much in a game and in a season. Maybe just a few more wins and the sky isn't falling anymore. Suddenly people would put the season in perspective and look ahead to good things to come. So I tend to agree that people need to relax a bit.

Iowa State
2–9
1–7
6th (North)
Iowa State
1–10
1–7
6th (North)
Iowa State
3–8
1–7
T–5th (North)
Iowa State
4–7
1–7
T–5th (North)
Iowa State
9–3
5–3
3rd (North)
W Insight.com
Iowa State
7–5
4–4
3rd (North)
L Independence
Iowa State
7–7
4–4
3rd (North)
L Humanitarian
Iowa State
2–10
0–8
6th (North)
Iowa State
7–5
4–4
T–1st (North)
W Independence
Iowa State
7–5
4–4
T–2nd (North)
L Houston
Iowa State
4–8
1–7
6th (North)

This team got manhandled by a bad UNI team, when they still were healthy. Spin it all you want, make yourself feel better all you want but that is a fact.

There are real underlying issues with this team. The first one is the injury problem. What is going on there. Why since moving into the new complex and using the new equipment have injuries been way up, is there something to this or just bad luck.

The other is lack of offense and QB development/regressing the last 2 years. Its not that this team is losing it is how they are losing. There is no identity on O, no one thing they can do well, no thinking outside the box. When you only score 3 TDs in 3 games that are not at the end of the game, there are issues. This offense is raked 111 in the NCAA. 111. 111. That is not good, its laughable. There is no way changes will not be made on this staff, hell I don't know how some coaches still have jobs this week.

InAWord

Nov 16, 2010
I simply do not accept losing to UNI and then getting destroyed in three straight games. I tired of hearing about how this is the most talented team ever assembled at ISU, yet we are getting early 90s results on the field. I am not calling for Rhoads to be fired, but he deserves a ton of criticism. Every team has injuries. Every team has recruiting misses. I am just tired of the excuses.

If Messingham isn't fired after this season then I will not be purchasing season tickets next year.

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
I simply do not accept losing to UNI and then getting destroyed in three straight games. I tired of hearing about how this is the most talented team ever assembled at ISU, yet we are getting early 90s results on the field. I am not calling for Rhoads to be fired, but he deserves a ton of criticism. Every team has injuries. Every team has recruiting misses. I am just tired of the excuses.

If Messingham isn't fired after this season then I will not be purchasing season tickets next year.

People keep bringing up UNI and I know that hurts, and I actually partially agree, but I think its hasty to judge too much from that game. What I think the UNI loss bears out is OC poor play calling- that's where I agree. But our D was lost in that game too. But then look at how we played against Iowa and Tulsa, and Texas. Against Iowa we didn't put up good offense, but things began to come together. One question I have is, why do people blame OC Mess for not running our JUCO All-American more. How does that not fall on Rhoads just as much? Regardless, things began to get on track, but with all the injuries, inexperience, and lack of depth, now we are totally derailed. But I think the 3 games mentioned are a clue to the direction this season could have gone without the injuries.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
[video=youtube_share;pBfVgF9hwH0]http://youtu.be/pBfVgF9hwH0?t=25s[/video]

Piopi.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
People keep bringing up UNI and I know that hurts, and I actually partially agree, but I think its hasty to judge too much from that game. What I think the UNI loss bears out is OC poor play calling- that's where I agree. But our D was lost in that game too. But then look at how we played against Iowa and Tulsa, and Texas. Against Iowa we didn't put up good offense, but things began to come together. One question I have is, why do people blame OC Mess for not running our JUCO All-American more. How does that not fall on Rhoads just as much? Regardless, things began to get on track, but with all the injuries, inexperience, and lack of depth, now we are totally derailed. But I think the 3 games mentioned are a clue to the direction this season could have gone without the injuries.

I think the primary thing that the UNI game, and to a degree the Iowa game, is that injuries cannot be used as an excuse for this team. Against UNI, and even against Iowa, the team was relatively healthy. Plus, all teams have to deal with injuries. Another problem that some injuries being so devastating to this team points out is that in the 5th year of a program, virtually no depth has been built up, which is the best way that teams can deal with injuries.

All people are really saying is that injuries cannot be a valid excuse for the problems of this team.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I guess I just feel there are excuses for this season. I'll be a bit more upset if I see the same next year with all of the experience the team should've gained from this season. I have no loser mentality, I just trust the Athletic Dept knows more than our fanbase, so I'll choose to look the other way for now.

I've had season tickets for close to 20 years, and I'll more than likely be a season ticket holder 20 years from now. I'm not going to give my AD an ultimatum when we already field a small budget. Ever think that might be the reason we are where we are? For those of you going to hold out all of your mighty dollars, fine, get the **** out!

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Why not give JP the same ultimatum he gave us a couple of years ago? Put up or get out...

The reason we have 1 win is the ineptitude of the coaching staff to do the following....

A. Recruit

or

B. Coach

...and that is on them. Not whether John B. Fan donates his $100 or not.

How often have we had better A, or B? Do you know that our talent is that poor? Or is it that we have young ISU recruited talent playing before they've had an opportunity to develop?

I don't know the answer, but I want to see what we look like next year. Firing CPR and JP will not allow us to get the talent that is verbally committed right now. I really believe recruiting has taken a big upswing. We just didn't have it in place in time to avoid this year's collapse. I'm not saying that because we are ISU we can't compete, because going into this season most of us believed we could compete week in and week out.