Cyclone Slant: Running back report

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The obvious solution is to use 4 running back sets and run the pentuple option.

That would be some formation. I guess that we'd have one RB on the line of scrimmage and get a shovel pass as one option. I bet Walden thought about doing this at one point.

thakeepa14

Jan 10, 2007
St. Paul, MN
This is not too many RB's. I'm loving the depth & talent. Here's my guess at how it could unfold:

Standard redshirts.
Nealy returns punts/kicks and plays slot receiver.
Woody becomes more of a FB in situations when needed.

Shontrelle/Hollis/White are our feature backs. Maybe Hollis becomes the short-yardage guy.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Can we do the diamond offense and put about three or four of them in the game at same time and then send them scatbacks going different directions for passes?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Seriously, if our running backs are more athletic than our receivers, we need to get them involved as a combo. A couple of plays would not hurt.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
This is not too many RB's. I'm loving the depth & talent. Here's my guess at how it could unfold:

Standard redshirts.

Shontrelle/Hollis/White are our feature backs. Maybe Hollis becomes the short-yardage guy.

When in the last 2 years have we had a FB in the game? The only thing we do that even resembles a FB is we put in an extra TE and move them in motion to set up a block

thakeepa14

Jan 10, 2007
St. Paul, MN
When in the last 2 years have we had a FB in the game? The only thing we do that even resembles a FB is we put in an extra TE and move them in motion to set up a block

We haven't, I agree. But I'm betting we move in that direction with all the talent back there. Forgive me for having reservations about our passing/receiving next year.

sogocat

Nov 15, 2009
Nealy may be good, but if you can not stop the run, and with no D Line recruits coming in, do not think addding another RB helps much

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I think that a lot of people are forgetting that we have a fairly good base back on the DL. And we do have some DL recruits.

When you get the chance to get a back like Nealy you take it. We have a need for as many as 4 to 5 playmakers besides QB to be on the field on any given play.

I can see Nealy as a Slot Back. A Percy Harvin type player. SJ, Hollis, Standard, Woody, White, etc. all bring different talents into the mix. You can NEVER have enough playmakers IMO.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Can we do the diamond offense and put about three or four of them in the game at same time and then send them scatbacks going different directions for passes?

TCU did exactly that against Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. They Dalton in the gun with an RB behind him and one on each side of him. They kept them in formation as-is for some plays and ran one or two of them in motion on some other plays.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Nealy is the highest rated recruit we have in this class! Standard is the second highest rated in the class, tied with Jantz (Juco). We took these guys because they are playmakers, something ISU will never get too many of. You have to score to win. We have plenty of time to get Dline help in the class if we really need it, but we have more of an immediate need that will likely be filled by one of our players we already have stepping up.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I wonder if Woody could play tight end for us. We are losing a very good contributor at that position.

sogocat

Nov 15, 2009
Agree Woody should change positions, but are there not plenty of TE on the roster, some of these need to switch to DL

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

Standard redshirts.

You can't have three feature backs. Feature back is singular. That's the essence of "feature back." It's THE Man.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
In no way should Woody switch positions. With Arnaud gone, if I want one yard I am giving the ball to Woody.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Nealy may be good, but if you can not stop the run, and with no D Line recruits coming in, do not think addding another RB helps much

We got much better stopping the run when Lattimore became the starter at DE. Lattimorre, Ruemp, Laing/McDonough, Nelson should be a better DL next year. We do not have depth right now but the future looks better

Keep in mind we are looking at 2 DL visiting in the next couple of weeks...Johsnon, Green and we have Lemke and Irving already secured. Keep in mind there are a couple that could make position changes. I didn't like our DL numbers before but if we can get either Green, Johnson or both we will be sitting very nice. Not to mention a 20% chance at Maggit.

In the end, Nealy is someone that could end up at one of three positions. You take a talent like that, give him a shot at RB and then make position changes from there

Last edited:

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
We got much better stopping the run when Lattimore became the starter at DE. Lattimorre, Ruemp, Laing/McDonough, Nelson should be a better DL next year. We do not have depth right now but the future looks better

Keep in mind we are looking at 2 DL visiting in the next couple of weeks...Johsnon, Green and we have Lemke and Irving already secured. Keep in mind there are a couple that could make position changes. I didn't like our DL numbers before but if we can get either Green, Johnson or both we will be sitting very nice. Not to mention a 20% chance at Maggit.

In the end, Nealy is someone that could end up at one of three positions. You take a talent like that, give him a shot at RB and then make position changes from there

Don't forget about Roosevelt Maggitt. He wasn't a starter last year, but he was one of the more productive linemen per minute played. Roosevelt was second to Lattimer in solo tackles for a defensive linemen with 19 versus 22 for Lattimer. Roosevelt had 30 total tackles which was third behind Lattimer and Rump.

It is important to remember that Roosevelt was still and underclassmen last year. Assuming he continues develop both strength and technique he will be a huge factor on the defensive line.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron