Brock Purdy

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
https://n.rivals.com/news/qb-brock-purdy-to-break-down-favorites-this-week

There had been some whispers recently that Iowa State had emerged as the favorite for Purdy but he said there’s no truth to it. First, the three-star quarterback needs to discuss things with his family and then a top team should emerge.

“No, it's not true,” Purdy said of the Iowa State rumors. “I'm sitting down with my family this week to evaluate all the schools. As of now, everyone is equal.”

I don't really like what I just read in this article. I have a hard time believing all the schools could actually be equal, just the way he worded that the rumors aren't true causes my mind to think negatively for our chances. Hopefully our full court press of sending all the offensive coordinators down will tip the scales into our favor. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Bama to win this battle. :( Really, really hope I'm wrong!!!!
Let's be honest; if Bama wants him, he will go there.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
https://n.rivals.com/news/qb-brock-purdy-to-break-down-favorites-this-week

There had been some whispers recently that Iowa State had emerged as the favorite for Purdy but he said there’s no truth to it. First, the three-star quarterback needs to discuss things with his family and then a top team should emerge.

“No, it's not true,” Purdy said of the Iowa State rumors. “I'm sitting down with my family this week to evaluate all the schools. As of now, everyone is equal.”

I don't really like what I just read in this article. I have a hard time believing all the schools could actually be equal, just the way he worded that the rumors aren't true causes my mind to think negatively for our chances. Hopefully our full court press of sending all the offensive coordinators down will tip the scales into our favor. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Bama to win this battle. :( Really, really hope I'm wrong!!!!

Where there is smoke...

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
Brock Purdy is definitely the name of a winning quarterback.

Kind of one of those Shane Falco type of names.

You always need a one syllable first name and two syllable last name.

Tom
Bray
Dee

Seneca Wallace...but the "eca" is silent apparently :D

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

The thing is, Iowa State and Bama offer completely different things to a young QB.
Bama is obviously where you want to go to win titles. Period. If you get on the field and play well you will make it the NFL as well. But that "if" is the big thing.

ISU offers something different. A great young QB will have a lot more chance to get on the field at ISU than at Bama where they will be competing with other 4 and 5 star QBs being brought in EVERY year. The NFL exposure wont be as great at ISU, but if you are good enough, the NFL will find you. ISU also offers the opportunity to do something really great. A lot of QBs have won games and titles with Bama. To be the kid that takes ISU to a new level of success is something special. I believe this staff is selling that opportunity. They are young and enthusiastic and their success so far in recruiting has shown that.

There is honestly NO guarantee that Purdy would ever play at Alabama. Jalen Hurts, while maybe not a superstar, is a great QB and has won a ton of games. He'll be a Junior next year. Then you have the 5 star soon to be Sophomore who just won the National Title game in Tua Tagovailoa. He's probably going to get better and play for two more years at least at Bama. Bama is also going after Tua's younger brother Tau, who is just as athletic. He's class of 2019. That's not mentioning whatever other 4 or 5 star they will bring in over the next few years.

I understand that high school stars are confident and think they can beat out anyone and earn the job, but you also have to look at the facts that more star talent makes it a lot tougher.

Brock has to decide what he wants more, the Bama shine, or the real chance to play, and play more often.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
The thing is, Iowa State and Bama offer completely different things to a young QB.
Bama is obviously where you want to go to win titles. Period. If you get on the field and play well you will make it the NFL as well. But that "if" is the big thing.

ISU offers something different. A great young QB will have a lot more chance to get on the field at ISU than at Bama where they will be competing with other 4 and 5 star QBs being brought in EVERY year. The NFL exposure wont be as great at ISU, but if you are good enough, the NFL will find you. ISU also offers the opportunity to do something really great. A lot of QBs have won games and titles with Bama. To be the kid that takes ISU to a new level of success is something special. I believe this staff is selling that opportunity. They are young and enthusiastic and their success so far in recruiting has shown that.

There is honestly NO guarantee that Purdy would ever play at Alabama. Jalen Hurts, while maybe not a superstar, is a great QB and has won a ton of games. He'll be a Junior next year. Then you have the 5 star soon to be Sophomore who just won the National Title game in Tua Tagovailoa. He's probably going to get better and play for two more years at least at Bama. Bama is also going after Tua's younger brother Tau, who is just as athletic. He's class of 2019. That's not mentioning whatever other 4 or 5 star they will bring in over the next few years.

I understand that high school stars are confident and think they can beat out anyone and earn the job, but you also have to look at the facts that more star talent makes it a lot tougher.

Brock has to decide what he wants more, the Bama shine, or the real chance to play, and play more often.

The bold is the key to this.

If he’s good enough he’ll play anywhere he goes. And he could even potentially not play much at Bama and go to the NFL. He will have less competition at ISU but won’t have as good as talent around him. Talent makes others look better.

Look at some of the QBs that go to the NFL and bust...many times it’s because they had such great talent around them that they looked better than they were. It’s a selling point.

But it all comes down to, if he’s good enough, no matter where he goes, he will find the NFL.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The bold is the key to this.

If he’s good enough he’ll play anywhere he goes. And he could even potentially not play much at Bama and go to the NFL. He will have less competition at ISU but won’t have as good as talent around him. Talent makes others look better.

Look at some of the QBs that go to the NFL and bust...many times it’s because they had such great talent around them that they looked better than they were. It’s a selling point.

But it all comes down to, if he’s good enough, no matter where he goes, he will find the NFL.

If ISU succeeds with him at QB, he will get most of the credit for it. If he were to play and succeed at Bama, a lot of people will look at the system and the talent around him and discount his contributions.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That is really dependent on his priorities. Does he want a shot at early playing time? Is he the type that is going to bothered by his team adding 4 and 5 star guys in subsequent classes?
I know this is a 3 star guy, and he hasn't conmitted to the good guys yet, but I still find it amazing that Campbell and co. keep staying in the picture with recruits with national powers.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That is really dependent on his priorities. Does he want a shot at early playing time? Is he the type that is going to bothered by his team adding 4 and 5 star guys in subsequent classes?
I know this is a 3 star guy, and he hasn't conmitted to the good guys yet, but I still find it amazing that Campbell and co. keep staying in the picture with recruits with national powers.

Campbell keeps up the development and he should be concerned about at least 4 star qbs competing with him here.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
If ISU succeeds with him at QB, he will get most of the credit for it. If he were to play and succeed at Bama, a lot of people will look at the system and the talent around him and discount his contributions.

Well their system doesn't usually have QB's do a ton, so that's a plus for ISU. But if we were to truly do a lot at Bama, they wouldn't discount him at all. They've had QBs drafted highly in that system.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
If you don't ever see the field, your chance of making it to the NFL is zero. Lots of NFL players, including QB's, didn't come from "name" schools.

If you just want the education, or if you want to go into coaching and think AL would look good on your resume and don't mind being a practice team tackling dummy for 4 years, AL is the place to go. But, you'd have to be REALLY good, AND lucky, to be noticed because all eyes will be on the 4 and 5 star "bonus babies" that will be brought in every year.

And recruiting Mom (or paying Dad, maybe he needs a good-paying job, SEC has a leg up there) is definitely a proven strategy.

SiouxCityCyclone

Nov 10, 2016
Well their system doesn't usually have QB's do a ton, so that's a plus for ISU. But if we were to truly do a lot at Bama, they wouldn't discount him at all. They've had QBs drafted highly in that system.

Just to clarify, are you saying Alabama has had QB drafted highly? I could be off, and correct me if I am, but I wouldn't say they've had a QB drafted high at all.