Bo Burnham: Inside

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Just listened to 'Welcome to the Internet'.

Genius.

Sums things up very well.

Just an incredible song.

I think I respected the special more than enjoyed it. It really was an artistic feat that only someone with an absurd amount of talent and dedication could pull off.

And don't forget about the pirate map joke. I loved that one-off dumb standup joke to break things up.

Welcome to the Internet was my favorite though.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Thought it was awesome. Lots of great ones already discussed but the "Jeffrey Bezos, You did it! Congratulations!" and "Social Brand Consultant" parts had me laughing out loud haha

Reactions: CapnCy

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I was talking to someone about it yesterday, and it’s straight up performative art. Which I’m usually not a fan of, but he did it so seamlessly. I think I’ve watched it half a dozen times.
100% agree. I actually recommend watching with captions on as you can then ensure you catch some of the lyrics that come out quickly.

White Woman Instagram is SO good :)

Reactions: cyclonenation5

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Thought it was awesome. Lots of great ones already discussed but the "Jeffrey Bezos, You did it! Congratulations!" and "Social Brand Consultant" parts had me laughing out loud haha

I was rolling with laughter at the end of Jeffery Bezos, Part 1. “C’mon Jeff, get ‘em!!”

• Funny
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
b3a1a4edd3ac98768ac5df281cf6ee587ce23f62.gifv

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Wife and I just watched this and we both loved it. It’s a masterpiece

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
I thought it was phenomenal. It is funny that people have been taken by surprise how kind of dark and depressing it is. Like…..if you’ve paid attention to his comedy over the past 5 or 6 years he’s been pretty much screaming that he’s depressed and struggling. But because he does it in a funny way, people just seem to look past it.

You can tell them anything if
you just make it funny
make it rhyme

And if they still don't understand you
then you
run it one more time

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
My personal favorite was “Problematic.” Hilariously addressed cancel culture and being held accountable for anything and everything these days.

I don’t know how many times I’ve listened to “Welcome to the Internet” over the past couple of weeks.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Agree....if you look at what he put out, the context of it (produced within the apartment, etc), his lyrics (no matter your politics, very smart stuff and tied together), and generally the creativity of the space he nailed it.

I've enjoyed his comedy since he was on youtube...his lyrics and such are very smart.

GF is same, has been watching him since he was a kid. I think he is incredibly clever; it's impressive to me how he can go from bad pun, to 8th grade boy joke, to deeply insightful, to silly pop culture reference -- all in about 20 words. And make it all connect and be funny.

His commentary within the comedy is is less political than societal, imho, which I like. I thought "Inside" was deep and dark, while still managing to sometimes send up its own overseriousness of being deep and dark. It wasn't necessicarily an easy watch, but we really liked it.

His early vids when he was a kid in his bedroom are great, and I can only wonder what his folks thought.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
The album is streaming out on places like Spotify, so yes... there's a lot of singing. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it. I feel like Bo is a step above most musical comedians in the way he expertly crafts his lyrics, but I especially enjoyed the way he was able to be so creative with the lighting and his environment given the constraints of his own one room apartment. But beyond that, I think one needs to be in the right headspace to enjoy this special.

This is what I've assumed and I just haven't been there yet. Just by what I had read and kind of knowing the premise around it, I figured you had to be in the right mood and I just haven't gotten to the point of thinking I was there.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
This is what I've assumed and I just haven't been there yet. Just by what I had read and kind of knowing the premise around it, I figured you had to be in the right mood and I just haven't gotten to the point of thinking I was there.
To enjoy it fully you definitely have to be willing to put yourself back into the state of mind you had during your lowest points of the pandemic. The special is mostly about the isolation, boredom and depression that came along with the pandemic and if you aren’t ready to go through that again don’t watch it until you are.

The part where he talks about wanting to die for a year and come back to life after is an especially dark yet relatable moment.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
My personal favorite was “Problematic.” Hilariously addressed cancel culture and being held accountable for anything and everything these days.

I don’t know how many times I’ve listened to “Welcome to the Internet” over the past couple of weeks.
Completely agree about problematic. Also the visuals were perfect. (The light up cross he is on at the end had me laughing out loud)

But the second verse making fun of what he was apologizing for because he apologized wrong was *chefs kiss*

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
To enjoy it fully you definitely have to be willing to put yourself back into the state of mind you had during your lowest points of the pandemic. The special is mostly about the isolation, boredom and depression that came along with the pandemic and if you aren’t ready to go through that again don’t watch it until you are.

The part where he talks about wanting to die for a year and come back to life after is an especially dark yet relatable moment.

If you didn't have any of those dark times due to the pandemic will it be funny or will I not be able to associate with the humor?

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Just wondered if anyone else had watched his comedy special on Netflix yet. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting given that it all takes place in his apartment and that there’s no audience, but the way he kept me laughing while feeling equally shaken with existential despair is nothing short of genius. It’s not strictly about his experience during the pandemic, but I feel like the only way one could have appreciated it was to know what the last year has been like.

It's brilliant