Bo Burnham: Inside

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Just wondered if anyone else had watched his comedy special on Netflix yet. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting given that it all takes place in his apartment and that there’s no audience, but the way he kept me laughing while feeling equally shaken with existential despair is nothing short of genius. It’s not strictly about his experience during the pandemic, but I feel like the only way one could have appreciated it was to know what the last year has been like.

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
I loved it. His last special, Make Happy, was really hit or miss for me from joke to joke. It was overall still great but I thought Inside was consistently better. Both specials are two of my favorites though. The beginning and end of Make Happy were amazing.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I thought it was phenomenal. It is funny that people have been taken by surprise how kind of dark and depressing it is. Like…..if you’ve paid attention to his comedy over the past 5 or 6 years he’s been pretty much screaming that he’s depressed and struggling. But because he does it in a funny way, people just seem to look past it.

Reactions: cyclonenation5

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Does he sing throughout? My wife and I aren't especially big on singing comedians, so we shut it off early.

The album is streaming out on places like Spotify, so yes... there's a lot of singing. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it. I feel like Bo is a step above most musical comedians in the way he expertly crafts his lyrics, but I especially enjoyed the way he was able to be so creative with the lighting and his environment given the constraints of his own one room apartment. But beyond that, I think one needs to be in the right headspace to enjoy this special.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The album is streaming out on places like Spotify, so yes... there's a lot of singing. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it. I feel like Bo is a step above most musical comedians in the way he expertly crafts his lyrics, but I especially enjoyed the way he was able to be so creative with the lighting and his environment given the constraints of his own one room apartment. But beyond that, I think one needs to be in the right headspace to enjoy this special.

Yeah, I definitely don't mean to disparage him in any way. Just not our type of comedy.

Reactions: AirWalke

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I thought it was phenomenal. It is funny that people have been taken by surprise how kind of dark and depressing it is. Like…..if you’ve paid attention to his comedy over the past 5 or 6 years he’s been pretty much screaming that he’s depressed and struggling. But because he does it in a funny way, people just seem to look past it.

Haven't watched him in a while but he always seemed to be frowning between jokes. Like, very genuine, can't get out of it frown.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It was amazing. Creative, funny, thought provoking....he let's you "in". Some songs I went back and relistened.

On top of it all completely done by himself. Definitely watch it.

Reactions: stuclone

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I've been listening to the album on repeat this week. He's definitely one of the more talented people in the comedy industry right now. It won't be for everyone, but the quality of the content and the fact he did it all himself is extremely impressive

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I've been listening to the album on repeat this week. He's definitely one of the more talented people in the comedy industry right now. It won't be for everyone, but the quality of the content and the fact he did it all himself is extremely impressive
Agree....if you look at what he put out, the context of it (produced within the apartment, etc), his lyrics (no matter your politics, very smart stuff and tied together), and generally the creativity of the space he nailed it.

I've enjoyed his comedy since he was on youtube...his lyrics and such are very smart.

Reactions: stuclone and mj4cy