BLUM: Scouting Ohio State

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Whoa here. Blum doesn't even feel confident picking an ISU win over the Buckeyes? Seems to me this is a dream matchup for us, playing an 8-12 team from the woeful Big Ten?

"Regardless, much of Iowa State’s first game is largely dependent on what Iowa State team shows up. If it is the one from Kansas City, Iowa State has the high-end ability to not only win its first game but make a significant run into next weekend and perhaps beyond. If it’s the other Iowa State team, well, I’m hopeful that isn’t the case."

Last edited:

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Whoa here. Blum doesn't even feel confident picking an ISU win over the Buckeyes? Seems to me this is a dream matchup for us, playing an 8-12 team from the woeful Big Ten?

"Regardless, much of Iowa State’s first game is largely dependent on what Iowa State team shows up. If it is the one from Kansas City, Iowa State has the high-end ability to not only win its first game but make a significant run into next weekend and perhaps beyond. If it’s the other Iowa State team, well, I’m hopeful that isn’t the case."
Well, if the Iowa State team that doesn’t want to guard or move the ball shows up, then Ohio State is certainly capable. That said, I think Iowa State being a 6-8 point favorite is dead on.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Not exactly thrilled playing a poor man's version of KSU, but alas here we are. It sounds like taking out their big man is the job for Wiggs and MJ. Have Jacobson pull him out and let Wiggs drive the lane.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Part of me likes that they have a 270 guy at center. If our posts sprint end to end, it could be a long game for him.

I remember Victor Alexander. He was a beast to deal with, until the other team realized that by 2 minutes into the game that if they pushed the ball, that big Vic would just kinda jog down to play defense.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
Thanks for the quick info Blum!

Watching some OSU highlights/games with my amateur eye, it would seem there is a good opportunity to draw Wesson away from the rim with pick & roll/pop and really open things up. I have seen plenty of times where his teammates become weary when he has to guard the pick & roll and over-help off the wings, opening up shooters as well.

It seems he fouls the most when he over-hedges screens or has to help on rotation. Between ISU's style of offense and hopefully good dribble penetration, foul trouble might be a problem for him.

I will be interested to see the gameplan defensively against Wesson. I would compare him more to Tristan Clark, who we know ate Iowa State alive in January. Mike has been playing more physical lately. I would hope that Mike and Lard could hold their own just playing behind Wesson but we'll see.

JFC, I told myself after 2015 I would stop caring so much about who we play, but here I am spending the last two hours watching OSU games.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The one thing that I like is that they don't have an overpowering 4 that can post up THT. We're not forced into the position of playing 2 bigs. And when THT is out, Shayock or NWB are big enough to guard the other Wesson brother. ISU is fortunate to have 3 capable bigs...play hard, use your fouls when needed and make things tough on their big guy. Then continue to run. It would be nice if Jacobson were able to hit a couple of outside shots just to pull him out of the lane.

IMO ISU is going to need to have multiple guys cold to lose this game. Seems like a less talented Purdue team that we played a few years ago. Less talented big, less talented guards. That's not a huge diss though because that Purdue team was pretty good.

I hope that Prohm learned his lesson from that Purdue game...don't try to match up with them, just keep running and attacking.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
The one thing that I like is that they don't have an overpowering 4 that can post up THT. We're not forced into the position of playing 2 bigs. And when THT is out, Shayock or NWB are big enough to guard the other Wesson brother. ISU is fortunate to have 3 capable bigs...play hard, use your fouls when needed and make things tough on their big guy. Then continue to run. It would be nice if Jacobson were able to hit a couple of outside shots just to pull him out of the lane.

IMO ISU is going to need to have multiple guys cold to lose this game. Seems like a less talented Purdue team that we played a few years ago. Less talented big, less talented guards. That's not a huge diss though because that Purdue team was pretty good.

I hope that Prohm learned his lesson from that Purdue game...don't try to match up with them, just keep running and attacking.

We’ve only played two bigs at the same time for a grand total of about two minutes all season. Don’t see why that would change now.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
from watching their game against Michigan:

their offense:
When Wesson is in the game, post him up and get him the ball
When he's not in the game, guards like Jackson and Muhammad drive.

Their defense is decent except they have a tendency to be late on rotations to 3-point shooters.

Ohio St. is a pretty bad shooting team, but they play to their strength in Kaleb Wesson. I think the Lawson comp is the most accurate as far as big 12 players go but uses his power more. He's also capable of shooting 3s so you have to respect that part of his game. Jac is going to have his hands full.

I'm assuming they'll double Wesson. There was some games prior to KC where they were doubling inside and had bad rotations to 3 point shooters. They need to work on that despite Ohio St. being one of the worst shooting teams ISU has played from a big 6 conference.

• Informative
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
We’ve only played two bigs at the same time for a grand total of about two minutes all season. Don’t see why that would change now.

Exactly. tOSU offers no reason to change. But, there are some teams where it could be more necessary. If we ran into a team with a good 5 and a post up 4, we are put in a tougher position. Against iowa, for example, Cook destroyed THT on the block. That's something that we won't have to worry about until the Sweet 16, if even then.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Exactly. tOSU offers no reason to change. But, there are some teams where it could be more necessary. If we ran into a team with a good 5 and a post up 4, we are put in a tougher position. Against iowa, for example, Cook destroyed THT on the block. That's something that we won't have to worry about until the Sweet 16, if even then.

THT has improved in that regard too though. I thought he really frustrated Lawson when he guarded him on Saturday. Strength to hold his position, and quickness to make it tough to make a move from the top of the key.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

I don’t think anything is going to change. Just like there are some disadvantages to us going 4 guards against a team with two bigs, there’s disadvantages to a team going 2 bigs against us with 4 guards.