Be like this team

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
Couldn't help but go back and look at this team. What a different style it is from the recent past (it is hard to remember a different time :sad:), but we can be like this team. Just need Royce, guards to step it up and execute, and get better spacing to run and push it. Not sure what defense we will run, but the goal should be to pressure like this team. Hope it can be sooner than later.

http://vault.ncaa.com/?game=306SR157_s01&seconds=NaN

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Ah the good days. Of course I then had to scroll down and check out some of the MSU game. Man if that game goes our way where is this program today?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Wow we were picked to finish last in the Big 12 in 2000?!? Thats what the announcer said at the end of the ISU MSU video. I remember the ending of that game so clearly even though it was over 10 years ago. That was a game we should have won :sad:

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Wow we were picked to finish last in the Big 12 in 2000?!? Thats what the announcer said at the end of the ISU MSU video. I remember the ending of that game so clearly even though it was over 10 years ago. That was a game we should have won :sad:

Often stated, but not true. We were picked to finish in the middle of the pack.

cysocool

Jul 12, 2010
Couldn't help but go back and look at this team. What a different style it is from the recent past (it is hard to remember a different time :sad:), but we can be like this team. Just need Royce, guards to step it up and execute, and get better spacing to run and push it. Not sure what defense we will run, but the goal should be to pressure like this team. Hope it can be sooner than later.

NCAA Vault - Basketball Video Clips, Highlights & Games for March Madness Tournament

Great link, thanks for posting...

Last edited:

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Ah the good days. Of course I then had to scroll down and check out some of the MSU game. Man if that game goes our way where is this program today?
A national championship as the team MSU beat didn't put up much of a challenge that year. More than likely ISU would have beat them as well. Had Fizer stayed for his senior year, I'm sure there would be a national championship banner hanging in Hilton today because that team would have been downright unbeatable and ISU would not have lost to Hampton the following season.

As great as that replay was, ISU does not have a Mel Tinsley on the roster this year, and you saw what a difference he made to that team. DG is a fine PG, but no where near the caliber of Tinsley. Even so, I believe guard play for ISU will be much improved and we'll see many pleasant surprises from them this season despite all the doom and gloom being said about their prospects. Ten to twelve wins this year will be a disappointment IMO. I think anywhere from fourteen to eighteen wins is more likely with the cupcake non-conference schedule ISU will face. I think ISU gets a minimum of eleven wins in the NC schedule. The conference schedule will be much tougher, and I think ISU gets three to five wins there. Still, we will see major steps forward for this program this season.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Often stated, but not true. We were picked to finish in the middle of the pack.

I remember being picked between ninth and 11th by most sources... although I'm sure I didn't see an exhaustive list, but many people claim it was consensus last place (and I don't recall any 12th-place predictions, but I could be wrong). I also don't recall anything near middle of the pack.

Sorry.

As Nigel said in "This is Spinal Tap": That's nitpicking, isn't it? Nobody expected a season like that —*experts, fans, possibly even the team members themselves.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
A national championship as the team MSU beat didn't put up much of a challenge that year. More than likely ISU would have beat them as well. Had Fizer stayed for his senior year, I'm sure there would be a national championship banner hanging in Hilton today because that team would have been downright unbeatable and ISU would not have lost to Hampton the following season.

As great as that replay was, ISU does not have a Mel Tinsley on the roster this year, and you saw what a difference he made to that team. DG is a fine PG, but no where near the caliber of Tinsley. Even so, I believe guard play for ISU will be much improved and we'll see many pleasant surprises from them this season despite all the doom and gloom being said about their prospects. Ten to twelve wins this year will be a disappointment IMO. I think anywhere from fourteen to eighteen wins is more likely with the cupcake non-conference schedule ISU will face. I think ISU gets a minimum of eleven wins in the NC schedule. The conference schedule will be much tougher, and I think ISU gets three to five wins there. Still, we will see major steps forward for this program this season.

Right with you here. Hope we can suprise in Freddy's first year at the helm.

As for this game that is featured in this thread: ISU-UCLA:

I remember all the hoopla going into that Sweet 16 game against UCLA....whom, at the time was playing great basketball - they were real hot as of late going into that game -

As usual, UCLA was getting a ton of press. I just remember their players getting asked at the press conference about their upcoming game against ISU.

"We're going to teach Iowa State how to play basketball." (I can't remember who specifically said it, but I know that it was said.)

80-56 Cyclones in a BLOWOUT. Good game though Bruins. Good game. Thanks for playing.

a_fizer.jpg

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA

NCAA Vault - Basketball Video Clips, Highlights & Games for March Madness Tournament

After watching some of that, some things that really stand out:

Our spacing on Offense was GREAT!
Tinsley's handle was the BEST ISU has ever had.
Everyone on our Team rebounded the ball.

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
NIT is probably best case scenario, but it is hard not to get excited about ISU basketball again.
Walking though the cold from the parking lot while listening to the pregame, only to arrive to a warm and rocking Hilton, and then watching some intense basketball...nothing beats that imo.
I really like what Fred is doing.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
NIT is probably best case scenario, but it is hard not to get excited about ISU basketball again.
Walking though the cold from the parking lot while listening to the pregame, only to arrive to a warm and rocking Hilton, and then watching some intense basketball...nothing beats that imo.
I really like what Fred is doing.

At an absolute minimum, FH will make basketball fun again. The players and fans alike want fun basketball.

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
After watching some of that, some things that really stand out:

Our spacing on Offense was GREAT!
Tinsley's handle was the BEST ISU has ever had.
Everyone on our Team rebounded the ball.

Such a stark contrast from the recent teams. Of course, a large part of that was due to personnel, but the mind-set of the program needs to be there as well.

Fred and Co know basketball. Virtually all coaches do. Given what we know of Fred, it is likely he can teach the game too- Lutz certainly can. But can they instill that toughness? Judging from the players they are bringing in, they are at least going to have the potential to do so imo.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
That team should have been in a final four. Beating UCLA that has 3 NBA level players (Earn Watson, Matt Barnes, and Kapono) by 20+ points was just amazing.

I hope we can bring in some guards that can attack the basket. Tinsley had some amazing killer spin move... ahhh.... good days.

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
At an absolute minimum, FH will make basketball fun again. The players and fans alike want fun basketball.

An excited fan base can certainly help push the program along, if not for any other reason than home-court advantage. It does not even need to be all up-tempo, just quality, intense basketball.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Every time this game is brought up I kick myself for not saving the next day's Star Tribune sports page. The headline was something like this:

Cyclones Expose UCLA Flying Circus as Just a Bunch of Clowns.

Best. Headline. Ever.:yes: