Be like this team

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
What amazes me about Tinsley is how comfortable he was in close proximity to defenders. His ability to completely control his defender when he had the ball in his hands was a thing of beauty.

But that team's other guards were really good too. Nurse and Horton were a huge part of that team's success.

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
Nurse and Horton were a huge part of that team's success.

One of my favorite memories as a kid was cheering on Nurse after he had gotten hit by a car crossing the road by Red Lobster the night before (I think). Nurse and Horton were absolute in big shot situations that year.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Two things I remember about Nurse:
1. After we beat Auburn in the second round, he tried to steal the game ball. Stuck it under his shirt and started to run off the court.
2. He said of the Michigan State game something to the effect of, "I knew it was going to be a dog fight so I didn't even bother combing my hair."

He was one tough little dude.

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
Two things I remember about Nurse:
1. After we beat Auburn in the second round, he tried to steal the game ball. Stuck it under his shirt and started to run off the court.
2. He said of the Michigan State game something to the effect of, "I knew it was going to be a dog fight so I didn't even bother combing my hair."

He was one tough little dude.

That is awesome. LOVE the swagger of that team. Didn't fear anyone and went after it.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
That team had what seemed to be lacking from the ISU teams lately which is toughness. That UCLA team was deeper but ISU physically wore them down.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
With White it's scary how much this year's team resembles 2000
PF White
SF Ejim
SG SC
PG Anderson
PG Garrett
Bench
Combo Guard Phillips
and a bunch of Posts
Now if they can only lock down the D like 2000.
Kantrail was a beast

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
One of my favorite memories as a kid was cheering on Nurse after he had gotten hit by a car crossing the road by Red Lobster the night before (I think). Nurse and Horton were absolute in big shot situations that year.

Didn't Nurse have to sit out a few games after getting hit by the truck. And then wasn't his first game back against K State. We were down by a ton and he lead us back with a bunch of three's. Am I remembering correctly?

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
At an absolute minimum, FH will make basketball fun again. The players and fans alike want fun basketball.
This could be a big factor for attendance the first couple of years.
At least if the guys on the floor are having a good time it makes it more enjoyable to watch W or L

CYinPA

Oct 18, 2010
That team was so tough, and good at the little things. Of course, two 1st round NBA guys does not hurt.

If Stevie Johnson was a few inches taller and had better hands, ISU wins by 40.

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
PF White
SF Ejim
SG SC
PG Anderson
PG Garrett
Bench
Combo Guard Phillips
and a bunch of Posts
Kantrail was a beast

Kind of what I was thinking. Not that they are as talented, but the make-up of the team is similar. It can be done with a smaller line-up, but they need to have the confidence of the 2000 team. I think it will be totally different this year from last in that they can just go out and play the game. The 2000 team didn't have 1000 plays. Just good spacing, tough defense, and guys that could execute.

Oh, and this all depends on having Royce.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
PF White
SF Ejim
SG SC
PG Anderson
PG Garrett
Bench
Combo Guard Phillips
and a bunch of Posts
Kantrail was a beast

The gap between Tinsley and Diante is wider than the Grand Canyon.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Can anyone compare weights of this year vs. the 99-2000 team? I remember them being built like brickhouses and this year they seem a bit leaner.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Can anyone compare weights of this year vs. the 99-2000 team? I remember them being built like brickhouses and this year they seem a bit leaner.

If anyone has a team photo of the 1999-2000 post it for comparison! Here is the 2010-2011 team.
ISUMensbball.jpg

Last edited:

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Here are some Fizer/White comparisons... Seems like they are very similar physically.
Royce White:
QNUHWUTOAHZVBJN.20100910160336.jpg

Forward
6-8 250 lbs

Marcus Fizer:
fizer.jpg
marcus-fizer_1.jpg

Forward
6-8 265 lbs

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Didn't Nurse have to sit out a few games after getting hit by the truck. And then wasn't his first game back against K State. We were down by a ton and he lead us back with a bunch of three's. Am I remembering correctly?

Nurse got hit by a truck the night of November 29, 1998 (Sunday). He missed the game at UNI (L, 57-61) and the home game against North Texas (W, 72-45). He didn't start the Western Illinios game on December 5th (Saturday) and was not expected to play but entered the game to a huge standing ovation and led the team back from a big early deficit to an overtime win (80-73). I was sitting in sweet seats in the parquet behind the scorer's table for that game. You could hear word spread throughout the arena as people noticed Mike was coming in. The place started rockin' when Mike came in the game and he made sure it never stopped.

In that game he scored 16 points on 5 of 9 shooting including 3 of 7 from 3. He hit 3 of 4 free throws, had 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 22 minutes. Not bad for a guy that had stitches in his calf and head and could easily been killed less than six days before.

Yeah, I guess that is tough. I think up to that point Mike was just a good player. That night was when everyone knew we had someone really special.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

as far as weight the strongest guys on that team were
Fizer, Stevie and Horton. That's where I see the most comparison with White, Ejim and Phillips.

Rancik and Shirley weren't physically intimidating
nor were Tinsley and Nurse just all hard nosed like their coach.

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
as far as weight the strongest guys on that team were
Fizer, Stevie and Horton. That's where I see the most comparison with White, Ejim and Phillips.

Rancik and Shirley weren't physically intimidating
nor were Tinsley and Nurse just all hard nosed like their coach.

Rancik = Vanderbeeken?
Shirley = Railey?
Nurse = Christofferson (played with mono)?