Another Manning S^*T sandwich

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
BS. You are talking about making a change. So you would fire Campbell for who? You have all the answers. Or are you just a complainer?
So you're saying when an AD fires a coach they know who they are going to hire to replace?? It’s a total BS question.

I don't want Campbell fired. I do want changes in the creativity of the formations and plays. Players, Formation, Plays, right?

Reactions: agentbear

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
Well no ******* **** he’s going to be the one who decides. And typically when the majority of a fan base can see something, the HC can see it too.
One would hope so, but CMC comment this week about the quality of ST over their entire tenure here despite analytical evidence showing ST has regressed each of the last 6 yrs is damning. Hard to give the HC the benefit of the doubt on at least the ST issue.

Reactions: agentbear

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I’m all for giving anyone a shot at QB this season. Since it’s basically over for us. But Dekkers isn’t the issue. He’s pressing too hard on throws because we have average WR’s and no run game. Not to mention the god awful play calling.

The only offense we generate is because of Dekkers. If I’m Dekkers … I’m giving this 1 more year and jumping ship to a school with an offensive minded coaching staff. There would be takers I promise.

I’m not so sure. Dekkers is a turnover machine and has been proven to lock in on one guy (X). I’m all for seeing what else we have in the QB room because it’s not working with him leading the offense (I fully admit, he’s probably not the issue but we don’t know for sure).

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think Dekkers has the talent. He needs better coaching. Our staff couldn’t fix Purdys throwing mechanics in four years but the 49ers did it in an off-season. Coaching both of the QB’s to never run is also a mistake.

Obviously I get not abandoning the pocket or throw too early, but it’s being coached to the other extreme of there’s rarely runs when there’s no one open and you have room to run for the first.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I think Dekkers has the talent. He needs better coaching. Our staff couldn’t fix Purdys throwing mechanics in four years but the 49ers did it in an off-season. Coaching both of the QB’s to never run is also a mistake.

Obviously I get not abandoning the pocket or throw too early, but it’s being coached to the other extreme of there’s rarely runs when there’s no one open and you have room to run for the first.
Feel like Zeb Nolands complete crumbling in an offseason should get some talk as well

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The priority should be to get the first down and there's ways to run a QB to do that while also avoiding contact.

And it's weird if that's not a part of what ISU does. That goes up with not QB sneaking on 1/2 yard.

Reactions: RustShack

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Disagree. Football losing by 7 is a lot less bad than basketball losing by 30, and being down 20 at half. Those Prohm teams weren't even competitive, and miles away from competence. The football team has some big problems on offense, but it is far from hopeless and clueless.
Yeah, im not implying its Prohm level bad, it would take another 2 year stretch like this to come close. I'm saying this last 12 months are starting to look like one of Prohms losing stretches.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, im not implying its Prohm level bad, it would take another 2 year stretch like this to come close. I'm saying this last 12 months are starting to look like one of Prohms losing stretches.

Losing magnifies everything and winning paints a rosy picture despite there being issues beyond either.

Things like Noel throwing the ball at an opponent reminded me of some how CSP's last three teams operated. I'm not saying it's that type of disconnect but I don't sense stability right now either.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
My biggest problems with what Campbell is too stubborn to fix. You cannot run this type of strategy, low score close games, without being able to run the ball. Period. He also seems to be micromanaging everything like slowing the pace so he can audible the call or for all we know decide what to actually call. They may just be quick line up and waiting for the call after the motion is used. Special teams. Play calling rhythm, which is basically impossible when you're lining up quick and running the play clock down 75% of the time. Running out of the shotgun on short yardage situations. General offensive cohesion. They do not look like an organized unit. Not attacking with counters, draws, and true screens as well as hot audibles pre planned to gash vacated blitzing areas.

I started writing this and realized there's so much there to even quantify at this point and the stark contrast to the defense is what is really frustrating. This is a championship level defense.
Nice restraint.
One would hope so, but CMC comment this week about the quality of ST over their entire tenure here despite analytical evidence showing ST has regressed each of the last 6 yrs is damning. Hard to give the HC the benefit of the doubt on at least the ST issue.
This. As well as the contradiction of saying how close they are on one hand, and seeing the poor performance in play and play calling on the other.

I would rather see Campbell light some fires under the offensive coaching side/behinds, which would include himself, and plot an inward change in strategy from this point forward. Nothing to lose at this point.

If Stormin is right, and ISU makes some improvement the rest of this year and next, it may not matter, unless very dramatic. Perception is pretty strongly against this team now. The adage, that perception is 9-10th's of reality, applies here and now. The hole to climb out of is getting deeper.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
But at the level our offense is currently at, any drop off of the defense below a top 15 level probably ends up being not.
I would hope our offense is at a big time floor. This year we are averaging less than 16ppg in Big12 games.

I trust Campbell will get things fixed as our next lowest ppg in Big12 play was 2017 at 26 points. Every other year we have been over 30ppg.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I think we need to accept that changes in offensive strategy just aren't going to happen this season. They would have happened after the bye if it was going to happen. We should all know by now that on the offense side of the ball, the staff just isn't capable or turning a ship like that.

We will have to continue to eat this **** sandwich until next year. This year is over.

The real question is what happens on the staff in the off season. If nothing happens, then Campbell loses some luster to me, and next year would be pretty important for the trajectory of Campbell as a head coach and ISU's football program.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I watched the game with my 14-year-old grandson who has watched all of about 3 football games his entire life. He is into hunting and outdoor stuff and runs track. He kept saying ISU is not very good on offense and ISU either has bad players on offense or they don't know what they are supposed to do. Either one is bad this far into this staff's tenure.
Just as with Prohm, I hope Pollard sits down with CMC and asks really hard questions about what needs to change. Prohm was ready to hit transfers hard and rebuild, and Pollard decided to do that with a new head coach.
I think if Pollard and CMC have an honest discussion and Pollard insists on changes to the offense in OL coach and OC and running an offense that is willing to attack a defense instead of what we have been trying to do, in all likelihood, Pollard will be having a search for a new head coach. And if we are lucky, in the midst of that discussion, some NFL team will be desperate enough to hire CMC away. I do not think that is likely.
Pollard seems to be able to hire the person who will take us to the next level, and I hope that happens. I really wanted CMC to have success and last like coach Fennelly has had. But I just don't see that happening and if the talk is another year to rebuild, perhaps a new staff is who should rebuild, because if this is a rebuild year, I see NO PROGRESS toward rebuilding.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyclad

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Nice restraint.

This. As well as the contradiction of saying how close they are on one hand, and seeing the poor performance in play and play calling on the other.

I would rather see Campbell light some fires under the offensive coaching side/behinds, which would include himself, and plot an inward change in strategy from this point forward. Nothing to lose at this point.

If Stormin is right, and ISU makes some improvement the rest of this year and next, it may not matter, unless very dramatic. Perception is pretty strongly against this team now. The adage, that perception is 9-10th's of reality, applies here and now. The hole to climb out of is getting deeper.

Even if CMC is 100% online for making major changes, he isn't going to say any of that in public. If he is lighting up Manning, Myers, et al we are never going to know about it - it will all be behind closed doors.

He will drop coach speech in public, that's what he does. I just hope he is indeed going to make some changes. Status quo is just not an option.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
We saw the warning signs in the Virginia and Purdue tourney losses though. Curious that you would entertain 2 more years like this one, when the warning signs have been there since the Oklahoma CCG loss.

CampbellBall will no longer work without an NFL level RB.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I would hope our offense is at a big time floor. This year we are averaging less than 16ppg in Big12 games.

I trust Campbell will get things fixed as our next lowest ppg in Big12 play was 2017 at 26 points. Every other year we have been over 30ppg.
Those teams had at least one NFL running back on the roster to cover up for the offensive coaching ineptitude.

Now what? CMC went into this season without one, and has shown virtually no creativity on offense, and refused to fire someone to get the attention of players and coaches.

He got mad at the fans for ridiculing his gutlessness at Kansas though. That was endearing.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
We saw the warning signs in the Virginia and Purdue tourney losses though. Curious that you would entertain 2 more years like this one, when the warning signs have been there since the Oklahoma CCG loss.

CampbellBall will no longer work without an NFL level RB.
Which warning signs are you referring too? I don't see anything that similar here....just some circumstantial events at best. Let's see:

1. A fanatical desire to continue to use a game plan that repeatedly does not work.
2. Claiming being good at fundamentals and minimizing mistakes is the key to winning, then never executing on these claims.
3. Completely unwilling to make any in-game adjustments.
4. Lashing out at the fans when events go awry.
5. Presenting the key value of caring about players as a top priority yet events during certain games seems to contradict this value.
6. Being perceived as above any criticism for past accomplishments. Any wording of any sort of questions or criticisms are attacked with the mentality that the coach moves in mysterious ways, just give them time, or we could be a lot worse, we've been worse in the past do you want to return to that?
7. Wins turning to close loses, close losses accumulating, defended by saying we are almost there.
8. Having the greatest amount of professional talent in the history of the team and underperforming.
9. One word: Nepotism

Again, I am sure this is just circumstantial, just give it time and all will be well.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So you're saying when an AD fires a coach they know who they are going to hire to replace?? It’s a total BS question.

I don't want Campbell fired. I do want changes in the creativity of the formations and plays. Players, Formation, Plays, right?

Pollard has said he has a list of potential replacements for any coach. At all times. It is called being prepared. Campbell was on Pollard’s list when Pollard fired Rhoads.

isufanz1

Apr 11, 2006
WDM
Even if CMC is 100% online for making major changes, he isn't going to say any of that in public. If he is lighting up Manning, Myers, et al we are never going to know about it - it will all be behind closed doors.

He will drop coach speech in public, that's what he does. I just hope he is indeed going to make some changes. Status quo is just not an option.
Well if no changes are made, then next year is the make or break yr for Matt after the performance of the last two seasons. On the other hand, if we see shake up on the offensive side and a ST coach hire (not just analyst), then he has bought time and trust to try and turn this thing around for a few seasons.

Reactions: t-noah

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
If Matt Campbell does not get rid of Tom Manning or Jeff Meyers this off-season, I predict he will be relieved of his duties as head coach within the next two years.

Even though Tom Manning is pathetic, I don't see Matt Campbell firing him. We are watching the beginning of the end of the Matt Campbell tenure.

Y'all may think I'm crazy. Down vote me all you want. Y'all did the same thing when I said that Steve Prohm needed to go after the Ohio State loss. Obviously, Iowa State couldn't fire him immediately after... but the writing is on the wall.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron