Another Manning S^*T sandwich

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Campbell will make his own decisions regarding coaches. Those decisions will be made by him. Not you. We are more than struggling. Players and Coaches. Campbell is not going to be fired. And he will get time to turn things around. I trust that he will.

It’s just wild you think CMC is too stupid to make changes to his staff after his worst season at Iowa State.

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I understand your point but its a bit disingenuous. We aren't trying to be the "give up 42 but we're going to score 45 so we don't care" team. We want to be the "give up 20 but we're going to score 24" team. We aren't trying to run 80+ plays. We aren't trying to be in tempo all the time. We're trying to control the clock, retain possession, and give up field goals on defense. We aren't ever going to be the team that's raising opposing teams OPPG stat...we're focused on cutting into their PPG. Now certainly we've been very good at the give up 20 side of things...but the whole "score 24" or even 14 has been a major issue.

The thing is, His teams haven’t been good enough to win the close games. He has been preaching the “margins” from day one and there still hasn’t been improvement in the “margins “. If the personal can’t/isn’t executing to make the plays to win close games, that all falls down to coaching. It’s too late now to change anything on offense but next season if I am going to be excited for football to start, there better be a change in staff or scheme otherwise I will fee Ike I did today and for the remainder of the season, waking up not excited for the games. I can guarantee that there will be many others feeling the same on Saturdays.

Reactions: t-noah

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Disagree. Football losing by 7 is a lot less bad than basketball losing by 30, and being down 20 at half. Those Prohm teams weren't even competitive, and miles away from competence. The football team has some big problems on offense, but it is far from hopeless and clueless.
If our DC decided to leave or retire, there’s a decent chance we are no longer competitive in these games anymore.

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
My biggest problems with what Campbell is too stubborn to fix. You cannot run this type of strategy, low score close games, without being able to run the ball. Period. He also seems to be micromanaging everything like slowing the pace so he can audible the call or for all we know decide what to actually call. They may just be quick line up and waiting for the call after the motion is used. Special teams. Play calling rhythm, which is basically impossible when you're lining up quick and running the play clock down 75% of the time. Running out of the shotgun on short yardage situations. General offensive cohesion. They do not look like an organized unit. Not attacking with counters, draws, and true screens as well as hot audibles pre planned to gash vacated blitzing areas.

I started writing this and realized there's so much there to even quantify at this point and the stark contrast to the defense is what is really frustrating. This is a championship level defense.

I have said this before more than once. The offense has never made an opposing teams pay for bringing heat. There is no counter to anything. For example, Imagine a quick pop the the TE where a blitzing linebacker is coming from, or a quick slat to the slot receiver. The thought process is mind blowing.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
After watching this team all year, we still have nothing to hang our hat on, play wise for the offense. We cannot run the ball, we refuse to run Dekkers even though he is our best runner. The Oline has not improved, and the execution is horrible. Just what in the hell are we trying to do here on offense.
Yesterday we threw and completed two passes back to back and lost 4 yards. Can someone explain why we continue to allow Dekkers to stand in the pocket on 3rd and long, and allow OU to blitz right up the middle and either rush the throw or bury the QB? The few times we rolled Dekker out to the left, he looked great, but we do not do it enough.

OU ran that counter trey play a dozen times, pulling the backside guard and tackle, and get yards, but we NEVER pull or trap anyone on the line.

Run Dekker, and keep running, him on RPO's, in passing situation, roll him to the left, and lets actually throw the ball down the field more than a couple of times and stop the damn 3/4 yard crossing patterns that get us nothing.

Go watch the TCU, Baylor, or TT offense and see how you can run the QB, throw down field and actually cause the defense to think about what you are going to do each play.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
It’s just wild you think CMC is too stupid to make changes to his staff after his worst season at Iowa State.

I have said it is Campbell’s decision. Campbell will decide who his assistants will be. Campbell may decide to make changes. He may not. Campbell is a very well accomplished 42 year old P5 Coach. I trust his judgement.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I have said it is Campbell’s decision. Campbell will decide who his assistants will be. Campbell may decide to make changes. He may not. Campbell is a very well accomplished 42 year old P5 Coach. I trust his judgement.

Well no ******* **** he’s going to be the one who decides. And typically when the majority of a fan base can see something, the HC can see it too.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If our DC decided to leave or retire, there’s a decent chance we are no longer competitive in these games anymore.
Heacock has done a great job, but he isn't a 1man show. He has assistant coaches that have obviously got the job done. Plus the players on the field have executed the game plan.

Pretty sure our defense can continue to be "competitive".

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I have said this before more than once. The offense has never made an opposing teams pay for bringing heat. There is no counter to anything. For example, Imagine a quick pop the the TE where a blitzing linebacker is coming from, or a quick slat to the slot receiver. The thought process is mind blowing.
As a positive, we ran 2 screen passes yesterday with some success. That is a counter to opposing teams blitzing.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Heacock has done a great job, but he isn't a 1man show. He has assistant coaches that have obviously got the job done. Plus the players on the field have executed the game plan.

Pretty sure our defense can continue to be "competitive".
But at the level our offense is currently at, any drop off of the defense below a top 15 level probably ends up being not.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You’re the one saying that if Manning goes CMC goes. You’re the one saying CMC won’t make a move on his staff after his worst season.

No. Said it was up to Campbell. And Campbell may not make any staff changes. He may. You are the one demanding he fire people. Like you will fire him if he does not comply with your demands. Campbell has complete control. Fans are not going to get to decide. Why do you rant?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
No. Said it was up to Campbell. And Campbell may not make any staff changes. He may. You are the one demanding he fire people. Like you will fire him if he does not comply with your demands. Campbell has complete control. Fans are not going to get to decide. Why do you rant?
Because it’s a message board. How have you not understood this concept? You don’t need to come here and tell people whose choice it is. Everyone knows.

Reactions: tman24

Iluvteak

Oct 5, 2019
Just to be clear, and I'm not trying to be a ****, but my post is a fact and not an opinion. I worked for the team as a student, sat in on many an offensive meeting, and had a headset on with the offensive staff during games. Campbell has just as much input into game planning and play calling as Manning.

For the same reasons, it makes me chuckle when people ever suggest/praise Golesh. Dude is a HELL of a recruiter, but I feel pretty confident saying he likely has very little to do with the Tennessee offense and it's mainly Heupel running the show
I 100% believe this. Over the last few years the play calling has been consistently awful. The kind of awful that only a head coach could be responsible for ! Campbell and company ruined Purdy after an exciting first year.

Anyone know what Kyle Kempt’s role is ? Is he the QB coach ? I had high hopes he’d move up quickly.

Iluvteak

Oct 5, 2019
It should be a constant competition at all positions...nobody should just get their turn due to seniority...I think Dekkers is probably the best QB on the roster at this point. Hopefully Kohl gets a legit shot.
I’m all for giving anyone a shot at QB this season. Since it’s basically over for us. But Dekkers isn’t the issue. He’s pressing too hard on throws because we have average WR’s and no run game. Not to mention the god awful play calling.

The only offense we generate is because of Dekkers. If I’m Dekkers … I’m giving this 1 more year and jumping ship to a school with an offensive minded coaching staff. There would be takers I promise.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I’m all for giving anyone a shot at QB this season. Since it’s basically over for us. But Dekkers isn’t the issue. He’s pressing too hard on throws because we have average WR’s and no run game. Not to mention the god awful play calling.

The only offense we generate is because of Dekkers. If I’m Dekkers … I’m giving this 1 more year and jumping ship to a school with an offensive minded coaching staff. There would be takers I promise.
Unless he quits passing to the other team, he won't move up.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

How big of a market is out there for a QB who can't read the field or throw passes to the right players

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Unless he quits passing to the other team, he won't move up.

Dekkers is #3 in interceptions in NCAA with 10. Leads the Big 12. That has definitely hurt. He is learning. Growing pains. As team struggles he is pressing. And other players are struggling with inconsistency and mistakes at the worst times.