Amazon Prime

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Should I feel bad for my delivery guy or is it viewed as job security?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not a high volume user but I think of Amazon Prime more as cheap cable TV subsidized by saving $40-$80 on shipping a year. Basically a somewhat robust TV package for about $4-5 a month.

That's the marketing genius in it to me, even somebody who doesn't pay over $100 a year for Amazon shipping can still feel they got a decent deal. Here in LA they started doing restaurant delivery through Amazon Prime too.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
I live in a city with Amazon Prime Now delivery, too. Free two-hour delivery and you can pay a little extra for one-hour delivery sometimes. It's great when you are either in a time crunch or feel incredibly lazy.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We've saved a ton of money in shipping with it already. Love it. Only thing that ****** me off is the Prime music. I was using it on a trial, and thought it would pick back up when we signed up. Nope. Since my wife was the one who signed up, she can use it but I can't. Just seems really stupid.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
I tried using Prime Music for a little while but I just really prefer Spotify. So I am double paying for music services now. If Prime Music got better I would drop Spotify.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Prime is waste of money IMO. You can get free shipping on pretty much everything so long as your total order is at least $49 and that is pretty damn easy to do.

The Amazon rewards VISA card is a heck of a deal though. Love that 3% back to use against future purchases.

clonetone

Feb 16, 2016
Prime is waste of money IMO. You can get free shipping on pretty much everything so long as your total order is at least $49 and that is pretty damn easy to do.

I just checked my order history since you mentioned this and I had to go back 18 orders to find one above $49.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

The Amazon rewards VISA card is a heck of a deal though. Love that 3% back to use against future purchases.

Like HFCS says, though...prime is not just about the free shipping. We got prime just before we dropped cable. Honestly, for years we did the same, "well, it's not that hard to get to free shipping amount," but finally I realized that to get to the free shipping threshold, I was adding $5-10 to every order of things I arguably didn't need. Sure I used everything I bought, but was I really 'saving' on the free shipping? As well, the free shipping for non-prime is like a week delivery, for prime it's 2 day delivery.

You take the $50 or so that I was spending extra a year to get free shipping and add in the TV shows and music that I listen to, and it's far from a waste of money for our family. For others, maybe it is, but prime is not just free shipping, and it's faster free shipping than non-prime free shipping.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

Free two day huh?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I just checked my order history since you mentioned this and I had to go back 18 orders to find one above $49.

I live in a small town and I have to drive a half hour to get to even a Wal-Mart so there are quite a few times where I I need something within a few days and instead of taking a couple hours plus fuel to go get it, I can order it up, usually at the same price and it's there in two days when I get home.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Definitely worth it for us. We've paid many times over for the annual fee with all that we now buy from Amazon. And, like someone posted, many of our orders are for less than $20.

Certainly not a rip off - that's just a stupid comment that doesn't fit in every situation.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
they have decent movies and tv...very similar to netflix. It's worth it for me too and I don't buy a lot of stuff there either.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
1. If you need electronics fast and are close, look up on Amazon, head to Best Buy for price match.
2. I live 5 minutes from Best Buy, Walmart and Target. We simply prime.
3. Back in the old days of $3.99 overnight it was fun to order the heaviest item you need (we topped out about 150 pounds for an item) for that price.
4. Job security for Fed Ex & UPS and now for USPS on Sundays.
5. Looking forward to the same day service.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I use prime for just about everything now outside of groceries. Hardly ever go to the big box stores. It's great. I think of something I need, and grab my phone and order it on prime. Avoiding shopping trips has actually saved me money in the long run.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
We bit on the new buttons they have. We have the detergent one sitting next to our washer and have a couple of others floating around the house. It's goofy but kind of a fun concept. There is a button for Trojan condoms you can get. That would be a lot of use age to make that one worth it.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
If you area good planner (I am). The $49 threshold and 7-10 day shipping is an absolute non issue. Just gotta stay ahead of the curve so urgency of receipt isn't a big deal.