ABC 5: Hoiberg - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
What is this? I love the mayor I really do, but HEAD COACH? He's never even been an assistant in college coaching...

Really scratching my head. I'd have no problem with him being an asst, but head coach. Man, this is REALLY balsy.

cjb1978

Apr 9, 2010
Des Moines, IA
hell-frozen-over.jpg

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I hope Fred is the answer to turn things around but I just have this feeling in my gut that we are now worse off then we were with GMAC.

Good Luck Fred.... we are going to need it.

clonetil01

Nov 23, 2009
I hope Fred is the answer to turn things around but I just have this feeling in my gut that we are now worse off then we were with GMAC.

Good Luck Fred.... we are going to need it.
Yea, because compared to 4-12 in the Big 12 we could win 1 or 2 or 3 games and that'd be way worse wouldn't it. We love locking in that 9th or 10th seed in the conference tourney.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Wow. Keep Nurse and Grayer. Otz if he wants to stay. The Mayor will get some time. And Hilton will get lots of ticket sales. If it doesn't work out, the Mayor may be taking over Pollard's AD position. :wink:

Oct 14, 2007
Ames
This is a crazy hire. Only time will tell if it's good crazy or bad crazy. But for those of you bashing it - just try to stop yourself from cheering the first time The Mayor walks back out on the floor at Hilton.:biggrin:

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
Those that don't like it can go root for Fran McCaffrey and leave. Seriously, grow the **** up and support Coach Fred Hoiberg. We are about to get ourselves some real guards that will develop! And some big men under Jeff Grayer.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
I will support Fred no matter what. But guys he's never coached a single gosh damn game in his life.... Now we get to throw him in the big 12 conference.... Gotta ask yourself is it going to be Fred coaching this team or is it going to be Nick Nurse really coaching us next year?? Not a good hire at all. Mac would have been better than this. We lose one, and stick the exact same guy to fill the spot. Crappy job Jamie Pollard.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
As others have said it really can't get much worse than it has been the last 4 years. I am not overly excited about the hire but, I will get behind it and support it.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Those that don't like it can go root for Fran McCaffrey and leave. Seriously, grow the **** up and support Coach Fred Hoiberg. We are about to get ourselves some real guards that will develop! And some big men under Jeff Grayer.

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean we won't support him.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
How can everyone not be pumped about this? How does he sell the program to recruits? Well, he is a top scout(or maybe an assistant Gm in the NBA) and could sell his knowledge of knowing everyone in the NBA that he can get them a shot at the next level. This is a great hire if true. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless. Top tier recruits would come here knowing that Hoiberg can give them a huge upperhand at getting to the next level. Not only that, but he played double digit years in the NBA and has played with or against some of the greatest to ever play the game so he knows what it will take to coach these kids up.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Interesting hire to say the least. I'm concerned about the lack of head coaching experience, but then again, maybe that is not such a bad thing. After all, the last ISU coach had plenty of head coaching experience and where did that get ISU exactly?

The thing I do like is that he is definitely ISU....his loyalty will never be in doubt, and hopefully that will translate into passion to his players.

I'm not worried about the administrative part of it if Otz sticks around. Not worried about the X and O's with what I understand about Nurse, and not worried about the recruiting with Fred, Grayer, and Otz around.

It will be interesting to watch. Give them a chance. After all, we gave GMac 4 years.......

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm a huge Cyclone fan and a huge Hoiberg fan, so I have to put my full support behind this hire.

However, I don't see how JP could ever fire "The Mayor". You just can't fire one of the greatest Cyclone icons of all time... it's impossible. So Fred had better be good.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
This just in Jamie Pollard hates the basketball program.

Seriously I love Freddy but this is just asking WAY to much of a new coach.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
********. I'm an ISU fan, so i want our PROGRAM to have the best chance to succeed. When you have 15 coaches calling, a number of whom according to Thompson have put 6-8 teams in the NCAA tournament, you dont hire someone with ZERO coaching experience.

I love Fred Hoiberg - even in high school and college, when egos get about as big as they can be, Fred was so humble and caring.
But this...I don't know. Fred's status as a Cyclone icon will be forgotten about in a hurry if losses start piling up. I think it's a mistake also.
I don't even know if Fred likes coaching...I don't think Fred knows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron