ABC 5: Hoiberg - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Hoiberg HC, Nick Nurse Associate Head Coach - Great experience, TJ assistant coach recruiting stud, Grayer....not sure need another good x&o guy. Could work. Not what I would be advocating, but I could see it working well

So you have 3/4 on the staff, including the head coach, who have no knowledge or experience with college recruiting, coaching or NCAA rules/regs. Recipe for disaster.

clone11

Jul 12, 2006
This is a GREAT HIRE!! Players want to play in the NBA, not only did FH do that, he also know what the league wants!! Plus when he takes off here, he wont leave!! Welcome home Freddie!

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Not my first choice but I'll support the Hell out of him!

HoibergPresentation.jpg

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Right now, this seems absolutely insane, but for all we know Hoiberg could be an excellent coach (best case scenario). It could also be a colossal failure. This is extremely high risk/high reward. I think all we can do right now is support the hire and hope that The Mayor can bring Hilton Magic back, because if it does work out, we may someday look back on this as the beginning of something great.

farcyted

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Welcome home Fred

I love it. Risky, yes, but if the right staff is put together to go with Fred I could see us having a winner that wants to stay here for a long time. Fred is smart, committed and will be a great closer with recruits and has a zillion contacts throughout the BB world.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is a GREAT HIRE!! Players want to play in the NBA, not only did FH do that, he also know what the league wants!! Plus when he takes off here, he wont leave!! Welcome home Freddie!

He knows what the league wants, he knows that guys can get there from here.
He knows what us fans want, and he knows that it can be done here.
He knows what ISU wants, and he knows it can be done right here.

People are going to go nuts, but who cares about anybody says. Our own guy, who succeeds at everything, just came home. He doesn't have the coaching resume, but he's Fred Hoiberg. He can get it done.

Reactions: DRCHIRO

Psychlone11

Mar 4, 2010
Iowa
Re: Why are people....

You can't take someone with no coaching experience over BG. No way.

BG doesn't have a driver's license...I think that's required to be a college basketball coach. BG also failed to make the NCAA tournament with Kentucky under his name.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
All great coaching success stories have to start with someone giving them a chance.

Fred is intelligent, driven, poised and competitive. Fred has been involved in basketball for the majority of his life. He knows the game. I love this hire.

Welcome home Mayor!

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The guy knows basketball. He know's scouting talent.

This is knot like you're hiring a blind mouse.

He also has talked before about learning bball under three masters - Orr, FLoyd, and Larry Brown. I don't doubt that he knows about the sport, and how to run a practice.
I just don't know if he has the passion to be a relentless head coach who welcomes the grind of college basketball. It would be nice if he's have been an assistant first.

Reactions: jtd9046

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
All great coaching success stories have to start with someone giving them a chance.

Fred is intelligent, driven, poised and competitive. Fred has been involved in basketball his entire life. He knows the game. I love this hire.

Welcome home Mayor!

Yeah. thats why hoiberg shouldve gotten into coaching 5 years ago instead of management.

Reactions: Tornado man

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
We now have an in with the kids of a whole lotta NBA guys.
I'd rather do this then pay the Dayton guy big bucks for what would probably be GMac 2.0.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
I don't see the lack of experience as such a big issue. Next year was going to be a rebuilding year anyway. He will get a chance to jump right in with no pressure to truly succeed. In the long run he will probably be a good deal.

One thing is certain. If he is the new ISU coach then I am behind him 100%.

Reactions: CycloneErik

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
He knows what the league wants, he knows that guys can get there from here.
He knows what us fans want, and he knows that it can be done here.
He knows what ISU wants, and he knows it can be done right here.

People are going to go nuts, but who cares about anybody says. Our own guy, who succeeds at everything, just came home. He doesn't have the coaching resume, but he's Fred Hoiberg. He can get it done.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes! :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.