Aaron Rodgers

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
you got one - hurray - you win!!
How many players have had their contract voided by the team before it was completed? The answer is thousands. That's a power that teams are afforded under the CBA and they make use of it a lot. The same thing goes for holdouts. That's a power afforded to players. That's the way the NFL is structured.

Your argument is akin to being mad at the sky for being blue and not pink.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Are you kidding? The players absolutely do not have the power. Not in the NFL. In the NBA, players have far more power. The owners by far have more power in football though.
Lol. How’d that whole kneeling thing work out last season?

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
NFL CBA approved

This explains who has the power. Far and away the owners. They got a 17th game and 10-11 years of labor peace (with massive tv contracts on the horizon) and all they sacrificed was no suspensions for marijuana and an extra 1% revenue share. Players control nothing in the NFL.

Look at how Leveon Bell torpedoed his career.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
It's not like Rodgers has had to throw to Moe, Curly, and Larry his entire career. In 2011 his receiver corps consisted of: Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, James Jones, Randall Cobb, Jermichael Finley, and Greg Jennings. (That offense was off the charts.)

That said, as a Packer fan I'd have to agree that the team hasn't really taken advantage of two back-to-back HOF QBs. Lots of near misses.....but that just makes it hurt even more.

I actually salute Rodgers for using the leverage he has. (He can come off as arrogant and pissy at times.) I'm betting the team eventually makes a bunch of concessions and life will go on.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's not like Rodgers has had to throw to Moe, Curly, and Larry his entire career. In 2011 his receiver corps consisted of: Jordy Nelson, Donald Driver, James Jones, Randall Cobb, Jermichael Finley, and Greg Jennings. (That offense was off the charts.)

That said, as a Packer fan I'd have to agree that the team hasn't really taken advantage of two back-to-back HOF QBs. Lots of near misses.....but that just makes it hurt even more.

I actually salute Rodgers for using the leverage he has. (He can come off as arrogant and pissy at times.) I'm betting the team eventually makes a bunch of concessions and life will go on.
Were his receivers good or did he make them appear that way? What did those guys do when they left Green Bay? For the most part, without AR, his receivers have not been very productive, not even approaching numbers they achieved during their time with Rodgers.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Were his receivers good or did he make them appear that way? What did those guys do when they left Green Bay? For the most part, without AR, his receivers have not been very productive, not even approaching numbers they achieved during their time with Rodgers.

I can't argue that Rodgers makes other players look better. Driver and Finley never left GB. Nelson left for one season in Pittsburgh (after tearing up his knee) and then retired. Jennings went to Minnesota - I'm sure you remember that - and was frustrated. Jones left, and then came back. Cobb ended up in Dallas, not sure if he's still there or not. But all of them left after their best seasons were already behind them.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

I can't argue that Rodgers makes other players look better. Driver and Finley never left GB. Nelson left for one season in Pittsburgh (after tearing up his knee) and then retired. Jennings went to Minnesota - I'm sure you remember that - and was frustrated. Jones left, and then came back. Cobb ended up in Dallas, not sure if he's still there or not. But all of them left after their best seasons were already behind them.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
In order to perform at the high level over the long period that he has requires a lot of dedicated physical & mental preparation that we commoners can not appreciate. Throw in his public off season insurance commercials, hosting jeopardy and social (I.e. Danica etc) not to mention forcing out the previous coach and he obviously likes to stay in the public eye & discussion. I don’t question his QB ability but he is a little over the top for my liking.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Unfortunately for AL, he has skin in this game...

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Everything is a negotiation in the relationship between the owners & players. However, I would be hard pressed to say that ownership doesn't hold the upper hand. Not only in their relationship with players, but also the communities the franchises exist. Not many businesses get their communities to build BILLION dollar facilities.

That said, Rodgers is in his right to ask for a trade if he doesn't like his employer or working environment. Conversely, the Packers have the right to restrict where he plays in the future based on the contract he signed. Will be curious if the Packers don't go after some of Rodgers' signing bonus if he doesn't play with them go forward.

There is more to this than Rodgers not happy with Green Bay's management or coaches. IMO he is unhappy spending 6 months of the year in Green Bay and would prefer to be in a large metro. But that is an impossible thing for him to say without coming off as a complete jerk to a fanbase that loves him.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Rodgers got treated like $hit by the fans when Favre's attempt to rejoin the team was rebuffed. He took it all in stride and succeeded. I'm not saying he's not a diva, or that he doesn't come across as arrogant and entitled. But he had nothing to do with the $hit show that was Favre leaving Green Bay.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Everything is a negotiation in the relationship between the owners & players. However, I would be hard pressed to say that ownership doesn't hold the upper hand. Not only in their relationship with players, but also the communities the franchises exist. Not many businesses get their communities to build BILLION dollar facilities.

That said, Rodgers is in his right to ask for a trade if he doesn't like his employer or working environment. Conversely, the Packers have the right to restrict where he plays in the future based on the contract he signed. Will be curious if the Packers don't go after some of Rodgers' signing bonus if he doesn't play with them go forward.

There is more to this than Rodgers not happy with Green Bay's management or coaches. IMO he is unhappy spending 6 months of the year in Green Bay and would prefer to be in a large metro. But that is an impossible thing for him to say without coming off as a complete jerk to a fanbase that loves him.

Rodgers has reiterated that he loves Green Bay, the team, the fans, the history....all of it. (And yeah, though I may be naive, I believe him.) His gripe is with management, and a feeling that he is underappreciated.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
It is interesting to watch the careers of the really elite professional athlete as they wind down. They tend to chafe at management and want their statue to be erected while they are still playing. "Underappreciated" is a code word for "show me the money". If Aaron wants a bigger statue than Favre, break the tie and win another Super Bowl at GB.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Unfortunately for AL, he has skin in this game...
AL will be a free agent in a year or two and can leave for greener pastures. It does appear that GB is looking very toxic right now.

Reactions: Peter

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
It is interesting to watch the careers of the really elite professional athlete as they wind down. They tend to chafe at management and want their statue to be erected while they are still playing. "Underappreciated" is a code word for "show me the money". If Aaron wants a bigger statue than Favre, break the tie and win another Super Bowl at GB.

Instead of getting Favre a running back, I think they just kept un-retiring a beat up Ahmad Green

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
AL will be a free agent in a year or two and can leave for greener pastures. It does appear that GB is looking very toxic right now.
Rodgers is a big booster for AL. Rodgers ability to make super passes made AL a very good player. If Rodgers moves on, things will get interesting. When does Lazard's contract come up?

Status
Not open for further replies.