Aaron Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Packers front office hasn't screwed anything up. It's a business. Aaron Rodgers understands that. They drafted a QB last year to develope and use if needed. Packers have been pretty good since 1992. Obviously with a couple down season in-between. But winning organizations don't just wait for their qb to retire, have a really terrible season & hope to get a good draft pick and get a new QB. Plus with injures you never know.

Rodgers wants a contract extension. Packers can cut/trade him after next season with little cap hit. His cap number is alittle over 40 million next season. They will have to extend/trade/cut him after next season.

I don't get the outcry saying the packers organization screwed this up. They've been in 2 straight NFC title games. Gutenkunst has proven he knows what he's doing.

Rodgers is under contract for 3 years. He's not going anywhere this season. Just a ploy by his agent to leak info to put pressure on the front office. They've been in talks for weeks, conicidence that this info got leaked on the 1st day of the NFL draft? Think about it.

I'm glad Rodgers is the Packers qb. I'll be excited to watch him again this season in a Packers uniform.
I heard it's the other way around.... GB is willing to extend Rodgers. Aaron just wants out.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
I heard it's the other way around.... GB is willing to extend Rodgers. Aaron just wants out.

Aaron's always been alittle sensitive. He was mad about Love first and then the packers didn't want to offer an extension so his feelings are hurt. He's not giving up 100 mil in 3 seasons and isn't sitting out. This isn't the NBA. Most players don't have that much leverage. He has 3 years left on his deal. He wont be the qb when the packers don't want him to be the qb anymore

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
There's a chance that they could designate him as a post June cut this year, if they are convinced that he won't play. That would allow them to spread out the dead money over two seasons instead of one. They wouldn't get anything in return though.

You are correct. But I didn't mention that because it's unlikely. There is no compensation short of Trevor Lawrence that that will make up for giving Rodgers away. He's not going anywhere this year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You are correct. But I didn't mention that because it's unlikely. There is no compensation short of Trevor Lawrence that that will make up for giving Rodgers away. He's not going anywhere this year.

I saw an interesting trade idea a few months ago...

SF gives Houston everything (most of which they eventually gave to Miami, though)
Houston gives Green Bay (the currently disgraced and maybe finished forever) Deshaun Watson
GB gives SF the Neckbeard

Obviously that can't happen for at least two reasons now, though.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Aaron's always been alittle sensitive. He was mad about Love first and then the packers didn't want to offer an extension so his feelings are hurt. He's not giving up 100 mil in 3 seasons and isn't sitting out. This isn't the NBA. Most players don't have that much leverage. He has 3 years left on his deal. He wont be the qb when the packers don't want him to be the qb anymore
A little sensitive? How about a LOT sensitive. Those that don't wear green and gold glasses view Aaron very differently out there. My sister is a huge GB fan and does not like Rodgers. His personality does not fit in GB or the midwest in general. Favre on the other hand was a perfect fit.

• Winner
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I live in MSP and am a big Vikings fan -- though, not from MN so not a Packers hater like many up here. A few things on my mind:
- ARodg appears to be a complete tool, but, he's so talented at the most important position in sports, so it seems wise for an org. to figure it out with him
- I don't blame him for wanting to leave at this point; I'm sure he's made some/much of this bed for him & the Packers, but last year being the final straw makes sense to me:
--> set aside the Love pick (a la ARodg being picked when Favre was there), then look at the rest of their 2020 draft: looks a lot like a team planning for two years down the road, not to win now: e.g., next several picks: 3rd-string RB who might take over in a few years (yet, they then re-sign #1 RB), TE who no one had ranked as high... TB walks in after adding Brady and the top OL and S from the draft and what rookies contribute for GB?
--> DC seems to lose his mind in the last game and gets fired after the NFC Champ
--> HC makes the ludicrous call to go for a FG instead of a possible tie, betting that the D will keep Brady & TB from getting one - ONE - 1st down with decent field position... the one person I know who's tried to justify this call is a huge Packers fan & ARodg hater
- One of The Athletic's NFL experts did an article about the top QBs this century and their offense's performance and D&ST performance in the playoffs... feel free to take advance-stats stuff with a grain of salt, but ARodg's offense had the highest rating and GB's D&ST had by far the lowest rating... Brady's NE had very good O rating and good D&ST.... Brees & Manning even had support better than ARodg... ARodg clearly could make more plays, but he's operating with the lowest margin and would be in QB heaven if able to play in Brady's position (as would Brees, Manning...)
- Seems to me that Packers mgt has really screwed up what ARodg started to screw up...

Reactions: cytor

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
The Packers are trying to help Rodgers out by giving him a defense. Something Tom Brady has had a major luxury with. Payton Manning got that in Denver. Packers had the #1 offense last season. Defense is what needed fixed. Too many ppl are fixated on thinking WR's are needed because the media says they are. Rodgers has had many Pro bowl receivers and only 1 SB to show for it because the defense was so bad.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
The Packers are trying to help Rodgers out by giving him a defense. Something Tom Brady has had a major luxury with. Payton Manning got that in Denver. Packers had the #1 offense last season. Defense is what needed fixed. Too many ppl are fixated on thinking WR's are needed because the media says they are. Rodgers has had many Pro bowl receivers and only 1 SB to show for it because the defense was so bad.
The DB they took was considered a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick. I get wanting to improve the defense but that pick was just strange when better DB's like Samuel, Campbell and Moehrig were out there. Heck, they need LB help and Owusu was arguably one of the 3 best LB in the draft and was still out there.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
The DB they took was considered a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick. I get wanting to improve the defense but that pick was just strange when better DB's like Samuel, Campbell and Moehrig were out there. Heck, they need LB help and Owusu was arguably one of the 3 best LB in the draft and was still out there.

Considered 3rd by who? Because the media and draft analysis told you. Did you create you own draft board and determine that for yourself?

Reactions: alenz95

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
While I imagine he's not thrilled about the way the draft went down last year, you can't convince me a larger part of this isn't being sick of being in cold, small market when he's a California boy with a fiance who lives in Hollywood.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
He gone. I don't care how sensitive he is, you go out of your way to please your star QB. AFC West is going to be fun to watch if he goes to Denver.

• Agree
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Bigman38 and Cy$

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Seems to be one of these things every year, kind of like the whole Favre retiring deal.

Last edited:

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Considered 3rd by who? Because the media and draft analysis told you. Did you create you own draft board and determine that for yourself?
It is the general consensus of pretty much every person that does this for a living. Sorry if that makes you so upset.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
It is the general consensus of pretty much every person that does this for a living. Sorry if that makes you so upset.

It doesn’t make me upset at all. I was making a point. Your using a baseline of media members and guys who do mock drafts to tell you it was a reach. Those teams do hundreds of pages of research on players. I trust their opinion more than a few who do mock drafts. Most picks for most teams will be bad. But just don’t tell me it’s a reach because someone like Mel kipper told you it was.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
It doesn’t make me upset at all. I was making a point. Your using a baseline of media members and guys who do mock drafts to tell you it was a reach. Those teams do hundreds of pages of research on players. I trust their opinion more than a few who do mock drafts. Most picks for most teams will be bad. But just don’t tell me it’s a reach because someone like Mel kipper told you it was.

They do but as someone with no horse in this race it sounds like you're just overexplaining the thought process of homers. That's fine, but not really any better than trusting the analysis of other people who are paid to eval players.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
They do but as someone with no horse in this race it sounds like you're just overexplaining the thought process of homers. That's fine, but not really any better than trusting the analysis of other people who are paid to eval players.

I haven’t evaluated hundreds of players or crested my own board. I’m just saying don’t call it a reach unless you’ve done the research. The packers had him at the top of their board when they picked. I have no idea how good he is or will turnout. But they went with their board and on their board he wasn’t a reach. It’s fine if you think it’s a reach but call it a reach based on your own research and not what the media tells you. That’s the only point I’m making

Reactions: royalcy

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I haven’t evaluated hundreds of players or crested my own board. I’m just saying don’t call it a reach unless you’ve done the research. The packers had him at the top of their board when they picked. I have no idea how good he is or will turnout. But they went with their board and on their board he wasn’t a reach. It’s fine if you think it’s a reach but call it a reach based on your own research and not what the media tells you. That’s the only point I’m making

Right, none of us have or will, and you don't trust people who do exactly that if they have a pretty common job. So you're setting up a scenario where the Packers can never be wrong. They could draft me next and they'd still be unassailable.

I'm perfectly comfortable trusting guys like Kiper when they do exactly what you described as a job. It's ridiculous to ignore that expertise.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Right, none of us have or will, and you don't trust people who do exactly that if they have a pretty common job. So you're setting up a scenario where the Packers can never be wrong. They could draft me next and they'd still be unassailable.

I'm perfectly comfortable trusting guys like Kiper when they do exactly what you described as a job. It's ridiculous to ignore that expertise.

I’m not setting up any scenario to say the packers are never wrong. They make mistakes all the time. I don’t get think your understanding what I’m saying. You go ahead and just call it a reach because Mel kipper told you so. I’ll go with the GM who does it for a living and is proven.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
What I don't quite get is that he wants to (apparently) look at going to Las Vegas Raiders or the Broncos. Those rosters are less talented I feel than the packers current roster

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum
Status
Not open for further replies.