8/10 weather

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa
Night five here in Nevadatonfieldville, Iowa without power and no hope in sight. Haven't seen a single Alliant truck w/in six blocks from our neighborhood. We get it. Others need the power back more than we do.

However, the sound of all the generators and the amount of booze that's been consumed is just like tailgating in the lots at JTS!

GO STATE!

Reactions: cstrunk

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
This link has a lot of great resources to donate or volunteer.

Edit: The United Way also has a fund now.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
US Congresswoman representing Cedar Rapids' district. She replaced Rod Blum a few years ago.

Yeah, I kept reading and figured out who they were talking about on the next page. New enough that the name Abby didn't ring a bell. Thanks for the clarification.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
its armageddon round here

cooking frozen pizzas on the grill

just unhooked the internet and plugged in the sump pump

the hum of generators is soothing

my cousins neighbor abandoned ship water from the top and the bottom

all 3 trees gone

hole to my attic from flashing/facia, who can fix? local storm team said im 0 priority, they are blunt

one child smells like sour milk im cutting him off

Was thinking about that. All of my neighbors up north here rely on sump pumps and every power outage here is a race to plug in generators. Is the CR area sump pump country? Grew up 40 miles north of there but our house was on a sandy base and no one ever worried about water.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I traveled today on Hwy 30 today from Des Moines to about 20 miles from Cedar Rapids and then traveled from Waterloo on 63/96/330 back to Des Moines.

It was crazy. If you don't live there, I don't think it is possible to understand how bad it was. There was a stretch from about Tama to where I got off of 30 where about 90% of the farms/acreages had damage that looked like it came from a pretty good tornado. I thought of the times when my family has helped others clean up after tornados. Everyone would come help. Now almost every farm along that route is dealing with the same thing. There's no one to help. I suspect that the rest of the way to Cedar Rapids was similar. On several north/south gravel roads every single power that I could see was still down on the road. The road signs were bent over. The corn was ruined. On the way home, there wasn't as much structural damage on my route, but so many large trees down. It looked like Albion was still without power.

I didn't go into Marshalltown or Cedar Rapids and it sounds like they have as much damage as I saw today.

I have no doubt that this will go down as the biggest natural disaster in this state's history. The amount of property damage that I just managed to catch driving was easily several millions. And the crop damage is equally bad. They might be able to save some of the corn that wasn't completely flattened, but it will be hard.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Was thinking about that. All of my neighbors up north here rely on sump pumps and every power outage here is a race to plug in generators. Is the CR area sump pump country? Grew up 40 miles north of there but our house was on a sandy base and no one ever worried about water.

Cedar Rapids is definitely sump pump country. But the only good thing about this is that it is pretty dry right now and there wasn't a ton of rain in the storm, so I suspect basements are mostly doing OK right now.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Cedar Rapids is definitely sump pump country. But the only good thing about this is that it is pretty dry right now and there wasn't a ton of rain in the storm, so I suspect basements are mostly doing OK right now.

You are correct. I think most of the water damage from the storm was due to leaky roofs.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
You are correct. I think most of the water damage from the storm was due to leaky roofs.
Winds broke seals on windows, creating leaks around them. Gonna have to be vigilant in your inspections.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Probably a stupid question. When MidAmerican says 8000 customers, is that 8000 dwellings or people?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Winds broke seals on windows, creating leaks around them. Gonna have to be vigilant in your inspections.

Not an inspector, just drove the area and saw the amount of roof damage. After talking with family, I hadn’t heard of anyone having straight water in their basement otherwise. They are pretty well connected with community in both of their jobs.

Reactions: keepngoal

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Parents got power back yesterday, they live in southern Jones county. One set of grandparents go power back today, they live outside of Solon. Other set got power back today as well, they live in Hiawatha.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I traveled today on Hwy 30 today from Des Moines to about 20 miles from Cedar Rapids and then traveled from Waterloo on 63/96/330 back to Des Moines.

It was crazy. If you don't live there, I don't think it is possible to understand how bad it was. There was a stretch from about Tama to where I got off of 30 where about 90% of the farms/acreages had damage that looked like it came from a pretty good tornado. I thought of the times when my family has helped others clean up after tornados. Everyone would come help. Now almost every farm along that route is dealing with the same thing. There's no one to help. I suspect that the rest of the way to Cedar Rapids was similar. On several north/south gravel roads every single power that I could see was still down on the road. The road signs were bent over. The corn was ruined. On the way home, there wasn't as much structural damage on my route, but so many large trees down. It looked like Albion was still without power.

I didn't go into Marshalltown or Cedar Rapids and it sounds like they have as much damage as I saw today.

I have no doubt that this will go down as the biggest natural disaster in this state's history. The amount of property damage that I just managed to catch driving was easily several millions. And the crop damage is equally bad. They might be able to save some of the corn that wasn't completely flattened, but it will be hard.

Cedar Rapids is likely worse than what you saw - if possible. It is really really difficult to describe just how bad it is.

What I've read today is that over 50% of the TOTAL number of trees in CR are down and 80%+ of all structures are damaged to some extent. Every single school in Cedar Rapids has some level of roof damage. Every block of every street in every part of town looks the same.

The crazy part about this particular storm in CR is that it blew at 70mph+ winds for ~40 minutes straight. I think that is a big part of the tree damage and roof damage - they just can't take the sustained wind that long

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Was there anything unique that happened in Cedar Rapids meteorologically compared to all the other hard hit areas in the derecho’s path? It just seems so bizarre that the CR area is by-and-large the biggest victim from this storm.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Was there anything unique that happened in Cedar Rapids meteorologically compared to all the other hard hit areas in the derecho’s path? It just seems so bizarre that the CR area is by-and-large the biggest victim from this storm.

See above.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I was complaining about the 15 large oak trees that were destroyed with 3 of them on our shed (also still no power). Then I talked to a friend from the Tama area. Over 100 large trees destroyed, cattlefeeding facilities destroyed along with most of their outbuildings and of course, most of their corn crop is on the ground. Their son's farm got hit harder. I am an old guy. This is the most widespread damage I have seen.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Not an inspector, just drove the area and saw the amount of roof damage. After talking with family, I hadn’t heard of anyone having straight water in their basement otherwise. They are pretty well connected with community in both of their jobs.
Can you help me understand the bold part?

Reactions: ruflosn

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Still without power in Marion, IA, but I did get an electrician to my house yesterday to re-do the entry to my house. Now, I wait for Alliant to come and reconnect the service line and flip power back on for the neighborhood.